Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Angel of Destruction. Still looking for a new chief Programmer!  (Read 44705 times)

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Angel of Destruction, My Mario/Castlevania Crossover Fangame
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »
Guys, please stay on topic. Thank you and have a nice day.

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »
Work has been kinda slow as of late, anyways some screenshots:

(click to show/hide)

I do apologize for the sheet size of the screenshots, I was playing in fullscreen mode.

Also that last screenshot is in the debug room

Likewise my chief programmer Bigworm and I are looking for an assistant programmer or two to lighten the workload a bit since Bigworm can't always be around and his day job is beginning to get really busy for him because he works as a DJ and all. Anyone wishing to volunteer for the position of assistant programmer should contact me on either the CV Dungeon Forums or the SMWASE Reactor
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:44:17 AM by FireSeraphim »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2013, 08:00:55 AM »
+1
Loving the screenshots,but video is always better! lol

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2013, 01:45:14 AM »
@darkmanx_429: Ask and ye shall receive:

AOD Level 1

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2013, 06:30:54 AM »
+1
I notice there is somewhat of an access imbalance between Mario and Richter. What I mean by that is Richter can do nearly everything Mario can, while Mario has few things Richter can do.

Both Mario and Richter can defeat enemies by landing on them.
Only Richter has a default weapon.

Both Mario and Richter can collect coins.
Only Richter can collect hearts.

Mario and Richter can break bricks.
Only Richter can break candles without requiring a powerup.

The balance is too far tipped in Richter's favor. Likewise, the delay to change characters really incentivises someone NOT to bother with mario unless necessary since rapid switching is slow and tedious. (I also felt switching in CV3 was too ungodly slow.)

I don't see why Mario cannot collect hearts that would add to Richter's stock, especially if Richter can collect coins that add to a shared stock. Likewise, Mario could also be able to break candles by landing on them as if he would an enemy, causing a bounce. This could lead to some interesting one time chance platforming segments as well. Furthermore I think Richter should NOT be allowed to land on enemies to kill them, as that is Mario's only method of default attack, not to mention his own signature move, and Mario has no whip to compensate. Likewise the whip is Richter's signature move, so it stands to reason Mario does not have it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:33:07 AM by uzo »

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2013, 06:38:17 AM »
I like the dialogue system :) Is it open source? Can I find it somewhere on the net?
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »
So what were the first two tracks that you used in the stage? I recognize the second one as a Divine Bloodlines remix, I'm interested in these.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:50:57 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
@darkmanx_429: Ask and ye shall receive:

AOD Level 1
Uzo makes some good points. I must say I am pretty hyped to play this!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2013, 09:21:03 AM »
Likewise, the delay to change characters really incentivises someone NOT to bother with mario unless necessary since rapid switching is slow and tedious. (I also felt switching in CV3 was too ungodly slow.)
I just remembered, what about PoR's switching style, where switching was instant when you don't have your partner out?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

Furthermore I think Richter should NOT be allowed to land on enemies to kill them, as that is Mario's only method of default attack, not to mention his own signature move, and Mario has no whip to compensate. Likewise the whip is Richter's signature move, so it stands to reason Mario does not have it.

I was just going to suggest this, until Uzo said it first. I fully agree that Richter should not be able to land on targets.

Is it just me or does Richter's whip swing seem a bit slow? Also, does he move way too fast during his backflip or is it just me?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:00:06 PM by Phoenix7786 »
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »
@Everyone: I suppose your concerns are kinda valid, but my initial concern when Bigworm and I were working on balancing Mario and Richter's Gameplay was that the gameplay was slanted too much in Mario's favour, therefore resulting in the way it is right now. You all have to keep in mind that in this engine mario has a shitton of powerups. Mario's current powerup list includes the following:
  • Small Mario
  • Big Mario
  • Fire Mario
  • Ice Mario
  • Raccoon Mario
  • Tanooki Suit Mario
  • Hammer Suit Mario
  • Boomerang Suit Mario
  • Shell Mario
  • Bomb Suit Mario
  • Golden Mario

You also need to keep in mind that Mario can spinjump in this engine and basicly has his SMAS SMB3 Physics on top of being able to run up walls when there's a pink wall triangle on said wall and can ride on Yoshi (Richter can't ride on Yoshi, but both characters can use Kuribo's Boot). If you saw the contents of the engine Bigworm and I are working with, you too would probably make some of the same decisions. I might change one or two things and as for the CV3 styled switching, I kinda chose it merely for a "rule of cool" factor and a nostalgia factor. The overall gameplay that I'm aiming for is something  like a mash between Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Castlevania 3, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3. Even then the comparisons I made doesn't quite describe it.

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »
+1
While I will say up front that I find the thought of a mario and castlevania crossover game to be an aberration against god, heaven, and all that is good in this world  :P (that's a joke for those of you who are oversensitive little crybabies; hence the smiley) I will say that this game is shaping up to look really good, and overall fun looking, and that I will probably end up giving it a try.  8)
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2013, 07:54:54 AM »
Additional thought: Instead of a mount for Mario, Yoshi as a second Mario franchise player. Yoshi's Island style. Partnered with child Maria. Maybe child Maria rides on Yoshi's back while Yoshi is the active character?

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »
@Uzo: Actually the second team will consist of Toad and Maria Renard.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »
He MIGHT be suggesting a sequel done Yoshi's Island style.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

anything