Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Angel of Destruction. Still looking for a new chief Programmer!  (Read 44690 times)

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Angel of Destruction, My Mario/Castlevania Crossover Fangame
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »
@Phoenix7786: Thank you. I'm glad you understand the general gameplay idea behind this crossover.
@DarkmanX_429: I regard that method as somewhat unprofessional in comparision to my prefered method of making a level tile by tile in the level editor.
@VladCT: I will rectify the slow whip problem. Also the only time you can swap characters is when you're on the ground. I threw the two crosses as a preemptive measure to allow me to cross the pit without having to deal with any oncoming Medusa heads that might screw me over.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
+1
@DarkmanX_429: I regard that method as somewhat unprofessional in comparision to my prefered method of making a level tile by tile in the level editor.

I dunno about unprofessional...I am not verse into Game Maker so I don't really know how the pipeline works in that. It's your decision and you are free to do whatever you want so no biggie. I will say however there's nothing "unprofessional" about mapping your levels out first rather than doing them as you go and then having to go back into your code/engine to fix things. I mean that is the industry standard if you really want to be specific about it for game design. I was merely suggesting the mapping so you may have the opportunity to get more "outsourcers" to help on your game rather than relying on just people with GM8 experience and not hearing from anyone. (Not saying that would happen.) I don't know everything, but I do know some stuff...lol Anyhow, the project whole is shaping up really nice. Your level design seems to be very spot on. Remember the suggestions about the skeleton enemies for Mario though!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 06:31:08 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
Tile by tile, is an old, slow, ARCHAIC way of making levels that was used due to space, and gfx limitations. None of the professional companies (corrected for Dracula9, lol) use it anymore; there are much more time efficient methods, that only sacrifice a minor amount more resource use for much greater overall productivity.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:45:55 PM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2013, 03:14:02 AM »
+1
As for the people that suggest Richter shouldn't be able to jump on enemies... that might sound good in theory, but when you actually start playing a game there's an instinct to jump on Mario enemies.  I've played several games that used Mario sprites with non-Mario fighting styles and it always messes me up at some point. 

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
Bit of a late start in commenting, but this is really fucking cool. I love it. Very polished, and you have a startlingly good balance between the characters.

At the moment, my main gripe is that I think you've got too many Monty Moles posted per area. More of a personal preference, but there are more than a few areas in which they're the only enemy.

Tile by tile, is an old, slow, ARCHAIC way of making levels that was used due to space, and gfx limitations. No one uses it anymore; there are much more time efficient methods, that only sacrifice a minor amount more resource use for much greater overall productivity.

B...but I still do! It's all I've ever done!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:51:16 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2013, 04:58:39 AM »

Edit: Replaced the borked version with a fixed version.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:45:17 PM by FireSeraphim »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2013, 06:06:25 AM »
controls pls

Seriously though, there are some people that are not familiar with either side of gameplay, you might want to enclose an instructions file next time.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2013, 06:16:46 AM »
@vladct: press F1 at any time in game to get the default controls lists.

Edit: please for the love of the clan, download this exe. and replace your current AOD exe with it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7624816/Official%20Demo%20Releases/AOD%20Midsummer%27s%20Day%20Demo%20%28Fixed%29.exe

This one fixes a crucial bug with the bone pillars that would fuck up the global collision when they were whipped.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:27:10 AM by FireSeraphim »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
About the bloated music size, I found some music files that were longer than necessary, may I suggest cutting some of their length so that they end at the looping point?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
@VladCT: AOD is using Sinbass which I don't think it supports looping oggs via LOOPSTART and LOOPEND/LOOPLENGTH. Bigworm and I will probably have to look into tweaking the sound code so that it supports the aforementioned variables. In the meantime I have since then gone thought and cut the fat on some of the ogg vorbis files. When the next demo comes out I promise I will have the music much more optimized by then. Likewise due to the way the engine is set up, GMFMODsimple is out of the question.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:47:44 AM by FireSeraphim »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
By the way, I believe you forgot to credit these two guys:
  • Saitama Saisyuu Heiki: SMB Above Ground Remix
  • M&K Company: Clockwork Remix
^^

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
The only other Mario X Castlevania's ive played Is Mario XP, and Super Mario Blue Twilight, the 2nd only being castlevania since castlevania is the final stage of the game, anyhoo im downloading this one now and giving it a try.

after playing the demo the character swap button wasn't B on my pc but N, not a big deal, im kinda wishing to see the classic stage 1 of castlevania somewhere in this game, weither its from rondo, SOTN, etc, it just seems to be on of those stages that's iconic, overall I like the original stages you've presented here, the jumps killed me more then the enemies

After seeing the soundtrack list and going threw them, I felt possibly a few of the tracks could use touching up, but im more excited since I know it wont be a short game
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:09:47 AM by Omegasigma »
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
@VladCT: I am aware of the latter but not the former. I shall make sure to credit them.
@Omegasigma: Dracula's Castle's Entryway is in the final world, Infact Dracula's castle is meant to be the goal that players work towards by collecting the six demon emblems to unlock the gate to Castlevania Proper. Think of the setup as being reminiscent of Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coins and you'll sorta get the idea.

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
I thought it was going to be something like that after checking out the "Gateway"
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards

Just sent you a PM of what I thought so far. Overall this is AAA work! It would be cool if you could eventually make this a ROM for play on emulators or something. I would love to play this one on the PS3...lol

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer