Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LOS2: Revelations - Alucard DLC releases March 25th - First Screenshots  (Read 87219 times)

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: LOS2: Revelations - Alucard DLC releases March 25th - First Screenshots
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
We weren't "owed" alucard dlc as part of the release. We were owed time spent making a complete game, the game wasn't complete. Instead of dlc they could've given the game a proper ending, etc.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »
Like the misconception that you were somehow "owed" this DLC as part of the original release.
How much do you get paid by Mercurysteam? Seriously, I hope it's good work
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline kadosho

• Hunter in Training
    • D-toid -Gaming for Robots
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2014, 01:14:19 PM »
Given how much coverage LOS2 has received in print and digital form. It begs to wonder how much content was let go, and what was accepted. After reading the article about the dev teams issues. I honestly feel thankful that LOS2 was released in the first place. Just wishing that the dev team (if they're with us here on the forums) thank you for all your hard work.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2014, 01:14:49 PM »
+2
To play devil's advocate, we aren't owed jack shit. Upon purchasing the game, we're "owed" everything in the final release that we agreed to buy for $60. As there is no contract saying "I will pay $60 for these following scenes and features..." we get what they choose to put in the game. That's the implicit contract upon purchase. Sure, we expect developers to deliver the "full product", as nebulous a term as that is, and it's shitty when they don't, but there is no "owe".

Additionally, there are multiple reasons for companies to release DLC shortly after release. One reason is attention. If they let DLC go too long, then they lose potential sales because people see the DLC announced, they may go, "nah, I'm not going back to that game, I'm done". Another reason is the trade-in culture. Nowadays, a lot of people trade in single-player games when they're done, so for a developer to maximizes DLC sales, again, they need to do it quick. A last reason is the staggering of content completion and actual release dates. While LoS2 was recently released, according to Bergeron it went gold months ago. In fact, most games go gold significantly before release, so a bulk of the content in the DLC could very easily been worked on during that period between the original game going gold and the release date. That's why it is able to be released so soon after and yet not particularly feasible to be put into the game.

However, that being said, I miss unlockables and meaty expansion packs too. When Cox was giving his lines about optional bosses, I was definitely not thinking of a re-used challenge fight of an earlier boss. I suspect that either neither did he and it got cut, or he was just outright lying. I'm not sure what to think about his lies anymore.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
Additionally, there are multiple reasons for companies to release DLC shortly after release. One reason is attention. If they let DLC go too long, then they lose potential sales because people see the DLC announced, they may go, "nah, I'm not going back to that game, I'm done". Another reason is the trade-in culture. Nowadays, a lot of people trade in single-player games when they're done, so for a developer to maximizes DLC sales, again, they need to do it quick. A last reason is the staggering of content completion and actual release dates. While LoS2 was recently released, according to Bergeron it went gold months ago. In fact, most games go gold significantly before release, so a bulk of the content in the DLC could very easily been worked on during that period between the original game going gold and the release date. That's why it is able to be released so soon after and yet not particularly feasible to be put into the game.
That's all true, but there's a far simpler rationale behind all of this: people are far more likely to pay $60 + $15 than $75. It's the entire concept behind modern DLC's.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »
+1
That's all true, but there's a far simpler rationale behind all of this: people are far more likely to pay $60 + $15 than $75. It's the entire concept behind modern DLC's.

True, but I don't think that augments any points that DLC released before *insert arbitrary date here* should have been released with the main game. It's not a scam, it's pricing.

At some point, a developer has to say "This product is worth $60" and then toss it to the market to see what it thinks. At that point, they're well within their rights to release any DLC after that. If the DLC sells well, then they made the right choice. If it doesn't, then they made the wrong one. It's entirely up to the consumer to decide what is a legitimate DLC release and what is a cheap cash in.

Because when it all boils down to it, the line between "complete game" and "extra content" is entirely arbitrary.

So if there's anyone here who genuinely thinks the Alucard DLC is scam and should have been released with the main game, I have one thing to say to you:

Vote with your wallet.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:56:18 PM by e105beta »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »
Revelations DLC will add 10 achievements, 3 are hidden for story.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »
How much do you get paid by Mercurysteam? Seriously, I hope it's good work

Uh oh, am I on 4chan? If you're going to resort to a response like this it's probably time to just stop posting.

I'm feeling some major deja-vu here since Viskod seems to share many of my thoughts on this matter, which are again just being dismissed and downvoted (by the same people) who simply refuse to listen. He's also presented them in a reasonable and well-articulated way, which might be more than this forum deserves given reactions like yours.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:27:34 PM by derision »

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2014, 04:27:22 PM »
Because when it all boils down to it, the line between "complete game" and "extra content" is entirely arbitrary.
Out of curiosity.... What did you think about victors 15 minutes of glory?

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2014, 04:44:07 PM »
This game had an extended and supposedly troubled development cycle. Scapegoating one small piece of dlc for its missteps doesn't seem to make much sense here.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
Out of curiosity.... What did you think about victors 15 minutes of glory?

I think it was awful writing and a terrible waste of an awesome character. For me, it was probably the worst moment of the game.

I also don't think delaying the game 3 more months or devoting the Alucard DLC developers to the main game would have changed that.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2014, 07:08:50 PM »
The games has a problem far bigger than lack of resources: Lack of vision. You can feel the budget, but you can see it ill-used. This DLC didn't drain resources from the main game, but chances are it will share its problems. Fun Fact: If it's indeed 5 hours it's going to be longer than every 2D entry at speedrun.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
I think this time I am going to wait to see what people think about DLC before forking it over. I liked the game but I was still pretty disappointed. Also I feel story of DLC doesn't motivate me to get it.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2014, 07:21:22 PM »
I think it was awful writing and a terrible waste of an awesome character. For me, it was probably the worst moment of the game.

I also don't think delaying the game 3 more months or devoting the Alucard DLC developers to the main game would have changed that.
Maybe not, but we do agree LoS2 was incomplete, right?

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2014, 07:24:15 PM »
Maybe not, but we do agree LoS2 was incomplete, right?

Not as much of a incomplete wreck as Bioshock infinite, but yeah, it's obvious alot of content was cut from LoS2

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles