Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Protoman's Return  (Read 5969 times)

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »
+1
Hey guys,

So I know this is a weird place to post about a megaman fan game, but I can't seem to find a good place to find a good place where people actually respond, so I'll just post here for now.

So anyways I would like to show off a fan game I've been working for the past year called Protoman's Return. It's pretty much a regular megaman game but with some new features added to the game such as the air slide. So far the progress is coming along really well. In fact I plan on releasing a demo really soon. For now, here are some videos to show off (credit to JoP for recording the footage):   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COqeycRoBy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwDy1HF3UPQ

Some of the themes for the stages will be replaced with some track that Laslund and I made. I could also use a little bit of help in terms of spriting but so far I'm doing alright there. Let me know what you guys think. As I mentioned already I'm going to release a demo soon. Just need to debug a few things and see what works and what doesn't. Anyways I'm really excited to show what I have in store for you guys. Hope you enjoy.

EDIT: The game is done. Here's the link https://www.sendspace.com/file/d66vum
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:08:03 PM by TheRetroArtist »

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 06:57:42 PM »
Looks awesome so far dude!.. cant' wait to check out those tracks to the levels too. Man that giant penguine looks like  pain to beat..very nice job on the level designs man..looks solid..love the falling snow..

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:06:20 PM »
Thanks. So far I'm pretty satisfied with the level design  8). Also if any of you guys want to help out with music I'm open for suggestions. I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 07:33:46 AM »
This is the wrong section for this.
You wanna post this on HG101 where all gaming talk is encouraged. :)

I'll move this.  :)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:02:33 AM »
lol, you stuck Sonic 2's Mystic Cave Zone theme in there, and in glorious 8-bit too! Sonic fans will love your game  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »
@Jorge Oh ok thanks man. Yeah that's probably a better idea to put it there lol.

@X Yeah I was actually thinking about replacing it with something else but I figured, nah I don't need to. I mean it fits the stage perfectly and it's also a bit of a shout out to sonic which is awesome. So yeah I'm probably going to keep that one.

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 10:32:12 AM »
Hey guys. Just figured I show a new update on one of the stages:

Protoman TornadoMan Stage

Nothing much has changed, just a new background for scrolling clouds, which I think looks a lot better. But yeah enjoy. :)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »
Pretty good work so far.
The only criticism I have is that the Sonic music is really out of place and could be off-putting to some.
On the other hand some of the new enemies are really cool. I especially like the Sniper Joe without the shield that actually snipes.
"Stuff and things."

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
Pretty good work so far.
The only criticism I have is that the Sonic music is really out of place and could be off-putting to some.
Hmm if the sonic music will be an issue for some people then maybe I could find something different. I don't know if I can find or come up with a theme that fits for a creepy forest/cave area then I might change it. We'll see what happens.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 09:43:24 AM »
Could you come up with a custom theme for the stage? I realize that creating music is difficult, however 8-Bit synth shouldn't be too much of a hassle. What I would do is listen to other music featured in dark, cavernous environments in order to get a feel of what you might be looking for. My only complaint so-far is the lack of drop items for you to acquire (Minus the one energy sphere you got in your newest vid). But I understand it's still a WIP  :)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »
Or you could just have the option to use each robot master's original stage music in the settings.
"Stuff and things."

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
Could you come up with a custom theme for the stage? I realize that creating music is difficult, however 8-Bit synth shouldn't be too much of a hassle. What I would do is listen to other music featured in dark, cavernous environments in order to get a feel of what you might be looking for. My only complaint so-far is the lack of drop items for you to acquire (Minus the one energy sphere you got in your newest vid). But I understand it's still a WIP  :)

Actually I feel making music is sort of vise-versa only cause I'm still learning famitracker (the program I use to make my themes). And yeah I should probably do what you suggest; try to get a feel of what I'm trying to get. As for the item drop thing, I could increase the chance of getting an item just a little bit so you can get items more often.

Or you could just have the option to use each robot master's original stage music in the settings.

I could though I think it would be best to do it if the music was externalized. Right now it's all in the engine, but it's taking up way too much space so I'll need to find a way to externalize music.

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »
Hey seems forever since I posted lol. I wanted to show some more videos but I don't know if Jop is going to show some new videos. Anyways, major update time! I have just about all the levels done and finished all the weapons. Right now all I need to do is add a few extra attacks for the final boss (which btw is looking epic) and finish a few cut scenes. After that I'm pretty much done. Oh and also I lied about releasing a demo. Since this is almost done (and I mean really close) I'll just release the final version sometime this Saturday.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »
Might as well if you're almost finished, lol. Did you get the cave music you were looking for?

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 07:18:26 PM »
Did you get the cave music you were looking for?

Unfortunately no, but I was able to get the music externalize which means if you don't care for the sonic music, you're more than welcome to change it (just be sure to have the file the same name as the original so that the game will recognize it). At this rate, I don't really find it a big issue unless I can find something else within two days, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I've been really busy handling technical issues and things like that. So yeah I'm keeping the Mystic Cave in the soundtrack.

Tags: