Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Silent Hill from Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro  (Read 6626 times)

Offline olrox2

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: New Silent Hill from Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 02:44:25 PM »
I am not sure if i should feel enthusiastic or worried. I hope Kojima understood what Silent hill is, and that he wont go into something too distant from the essence of the series.

Offline Mikepjr

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 03:05:44 PM »
Rather than just typing away about this.. i will just post my reaction video from youtube.
http://youtu.be/vzkbJPOHN3o
Warning.. might be loud.
Also.. i curse a lot.. so.. not suitable for some viewers.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:07:25 PM by Mikepjr »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »
The impression that I get is that he is unto a God at Konami so his influence will be as big or as little as he wants it to be. He probably could have told them to turn Silent Hill into a 2D platformer and they would have done it.
Ha good point

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »
Question is does Kojima have a lot of influence or is this like LoS? I could be wrong but I heard he didn't have a lot to do with that game even though his name is on it.

Kojima said a long time ago that he wanted to work on a Silent Hill game (I think, anyway, that he said Silent Hill 9). Also, I read that both Guillermo Del Toro and Kojima ARE directing it, so... Perhaps they're working Del Toro's style into Kojima's (overly) complex storylines? Iunno.

Kojima said this a while ago when Konami's President asked him (back in 2012) to direct the next SH.

Honestly, I'm kind of a scaredy-cat when it comes to horror movies, so I’m not confident I can do it. At the same time, there’s a certain type of horror that only people who are scared of can create, so maybe it’s something I can do. That said, I think Silent Hill has a certain atmosphere. I think it has to continue, and I’d love to help it continue, and if I can help by supervising or lending the technology of the FOX Engine, then I’d love to participate in that respect.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 09:11:39 PM »
As a veteran of both Silent Hill and Kojima's productions, I'm pretty optimistic about this. Del Toro is just icing on the cake, because I know it's at the very least going to look phenomenal (and another reason besides MGSV to buy a PS4, and this one's ALSO from Kojima). But I'm kind of confused with some of the reactions in this thread.

The trailer doesn't look scary enough? It's too bright?

Guys. It's Kojima. He loves to tease, and he loves to troll. Never expect a trailer to actually reflect his final product. He's a fiend like that.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 11:58:38 PM »
As a veteran of both Silent Hill and Kojima's productions, I'm pretty optimistic about this. Del Toro is just icing on the cake, because I know it's at the very least going to look phenomenal (and another reason besides MGSV to buy a PS4, and this one's ALSO from Kojima). But I'm kind of confused with some of the reactions in this thread.

The trailer doesn't look scary enough? It's too bright?

Guys. It's Kojima. He loves to tease, and he loves to troll. Never expect a trailer to actually reflect his final product. He's a fiend like that.

He said that one of his goals for Silent Hills is to scare the shit out of the player (his words) and judging by the various reactions from P.T on Youtube and Twitch, it's doing the job. This is the first time I actually have a shiny ass glimmer of faith in a Silent Hill game, plus it's not outsourced to a C tier western dev this time which is fine in my book. Now if Kojima can work his magic and get even a couple of former Team Silent members on board then I'll have no fears for the development of the game (the actual game will most likely bring in the fears tho).

Offline olrox2

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 02:08:27 AM »
+1
Silent Hill goal is not only to scare, but also to draw portraits of haunted people(at least , thats my opinion). It is different from a movie where you jump on your seat because a cat has rushed in and a pile of glasses has collapsed. It shows the demons hidden in our hearts, our deepest fears and demons. Only in Silent Hill you will see stories about a man haunted by the death of the wife he killled, or a serial killer who believes his mother is a room.

I hope they will be sensitive to that.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:11:15 AM by olrox2 »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »
+1
Im sure they'll stay true to Silent Hill's roots, if they don't I'll eat my hat, take a picture and post it here. :P

There is a silver lining in all of this though, Silent Hills is not being done by Mercurysteam. :)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
Well, despite not being super impressed by the teaser, I will say that Kojima's penchant for overly complex story telling might be a very good fit for a Silent Hill project.

I sincerely hope that this isn't a PS4 exclusive. I'm not buying an overpriced computer for one game.

Also, it shouldn't be too hard to make a better SH game than the last 4 turds we got... that is as long as they don't fuck up the core mythos.
And by core mythos, I mean Silent Hill 1 - 4.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 09:12:54 AM »
Silent Hill goal is not only to scare, but also to draw portraits of haunted people(at least , thats my opinion). It is different from a movie where you jump on your seat because a cat has rushed in and a pile of glasses has collapsed. It shows the demons hidden in our hearts, our deepest fears and demons. Only in Silent Hill you will see stories about a man haunted by the death of the wife he killled, or a serial killer who believes his mother is a room.

I hope they will be sensitive to that.

In his non-fiction book Danse Macabre, Stephen King elaborated on the themes of terror and horror, also adding a third element which he referred to as "revulsion." He describes terror as “the finest element” of the three, and the one he strives hardest to maintain in his own writing. Citing many examples, he defines “terror” as the suspenseful moment in horror before the actual monster is revealed. “Horror,” King writes, is that moment at which one sees the creature/aberration that causes the terror or suspense, a "shock value." King finally compares “revulsion” with the gag-reflex, a bottom-level, cheap gimmick which he admits he often resorts to in his own fiction if necessary, confessing:

“I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I'll go for the gross-out. I'm not proud.”

The difference between terror, horror, and revolusion:

Terror (the build-up, the feeling of dread): You're in a dark room, something sticky makes your shoes stick to the floor more than normal.  It is difficult to see what it is, and you don't want to kneel to find out.  There's a stench in the room you cannot recognize.  You walk, and stumble upon a punchingbag-like object but you cannot identify it because it's dark.  You light a match.

Horror (the jump-scare): You light up a match, and you clearly see it's a body with blood dripping off of it, strewn from the ceiling.

Revulsion (the gore): Someone's sawn off the limbs and the limbs are what have caused the sticky floor situation.  You look at the face someone's pulled the eyeball out from an eye socket.   The body is still groaning.  It barely can utter the words 'kill me'.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »
“I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader."

HA!! I knew it all along! Stephen King is PREDACON!!!
"Stuff and things."

Tags:

anything