Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Movie  (Read 9237 times)

Offline Qwertyvania

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: August 17, 2014, 02:54:27 PM »
If there was to be only one Castlevania movie, which game would you want it to be based off of?

Don't necessarily choose something because it's your favorite game, base it more off of which you think has the best story for a movie

They can also be parts of the story that haven't been in games, such as the Demon Caste War of 1999, or the point between the 11th and 15th century where the Belmonts were banished.

I would probably either say Harmony of Dissonance or Aria of Sorrow

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:01:54 PM »
i would say cv3: draculas curse. it has a diverse cast of characters, great setting & backdrop & perfect introduction to the mythos. can also throw in hector & isaac and their relationship with dracula. the main heroes can have conflict on their motives, alucard being against his father but at the same time torn because it is his father, grant being bent on revenge but also being blind to anyone else's efforts which might hurt him in the long run, sypha being hunted as a witch, trevor of course redeeming his family's name, etc. the list goes on. also can have flashbacks that feature lisa & dracula's relationship & why he turned against humanity

cv3 has the most potential to be a great CV movie

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »
I would say probably CV3 as well, for the same reasons as Crisis has already given.  The Sorrow arc/Demon Castle War of '99 likewise definitely have potential, but would probably work better as later films in a series.  I also think that LoS has a lot of potential as well to work as a nice trilogy, given its epic movie style and soundtrack. Heck, a good amount of the casting has already been done for us, considering the actors involved.  It's just a shame that Robert Carlyle doesn't really have the physical stature to play Gabe, as he really does a superb job voicing him.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 04:13:37 PM »
The one with most potential, for me, is The Adventure + Belmont's Revenge.

We got so much going on on those games. We have a father-son relationship, we have a passing ceremony, we have a nice plot involving Dracula manipulating Christopher's son. We could get two movies out of that EASILY, but even easier would be getting one VERY GOOD movie out of both stories;

The movie would start with introducing us to Christopher's life. His family and his infant son. Shortly after, Dracula is introduced (which could also tell us about Trevor's previous exploit against Dracula) and Christopher's mission is set. From that, fast action until Dracula is defeated (which would be halfway into the movie). Then we have the events of Belmont's Revenge. Christopher is old, and is at his son passing ceremony, Soleyu disappears with the Vampire Killer after wreaking havoc and promising to bring Dracula back using the power of the whip. The whip was already introduced at the movie's start as being the "ultimate weapon" against Dracula, and now it's gone. Christopher goes after his son, and finds him at Dracula's Castle's ruins (for us, of course, it'd be no secret that this is Dracula's doing, but it'd be nice to introduce Soleyu as the "villain" just to subvert it later reintroducing Dracula). They battle, Christopher using another whip against Soleyu's Vampire Killer, and Christopher wins, establishing that being powerful is more than simply wielding the whip. It's then revealed that Soleyu is possessed just as we see Dracula being "exorcised" from Soleyu's body. He takes shape, and attacks Christopher, almost killing him., because now he's powerful from having leeched Soleyu's blood/soul and Christopher is old. But then Soleyu steps up, and fight alongside his father to defeat Dracula once and for all.

Notice how I left out the "four castles" thing. This, I think, would be silly to translate into a movie. It'd be much better (I think) if Soleyu was simply introduced as a villain, but then revealed to be possessed.

A post-credit scene would start with the words "100 years later...".
We see people celebrating Easter as a this song plays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDYMayp6Dk

Then we get a badass contrast of jumpcuts. We see a red haired man marrying a young woman, colorful decoration and happy people, and at the same time a dark ritual, inside a tattered building, going on (all with the song above playing for both). The scene jumps between both events quickly between the priest saying his lines full of hope and promise, and the dark priest saying his chaotic, opposite lines. And it finishes with the newlyweds saying their votes just as we see Dracula opening his eyes inside his tomb, and getting the final bit of the song distorted. Yeah, a cinematic representation of Haunted Castle's intro.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:31:08 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Movie
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »
It's just a shame that Robert Carlyle doesn't really have the physical stature to play Gabe, as he really does a superb job voicing him.
Who ever said that it had to be a live action movie. I could be CG. Then again, we pretty much already have that concerning the LoS trilogy. I mean the games themselves we like interactive movies.

I do believe that CV3 would make a good basis for a movie along the same lines of what Crisis said.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
As others have said CV3. I've actually thought a little about this.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:48:24 PM »
I do prefer CV3 above all else. It has the usual ingredients needed to keep the movie goers interested, the hero, the strong love interest, the side-kick (sorry Grant), the tragic Drac family, etc.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 02:58:11 AM »
A live action movie would probably end up being horribly embarrassing. At least, if they would directly adapt a game from the IGAverse (which would be a bad idea to begin with). The universe is too fantastical and "video gamey" for it to be turned into a film anyone could take seriously. 

The only thing that would work well would be if they made an OVA or anime series, because then they would come closest to capturing the spirit of the games in ways a live action movie never could. Like everybody else said, CV3 is pretty much perfect since it's a good jumping on point for newcomers, and it would be a good opportunity to make the events depicted match more closely with the aesthetics and continuity IGA later introduced.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 05:05:53 AM »
I've been thinking about it a bit more, and it struck me that perhaps some sort of prequel to LoI could be very interesting, followed by an adaptation of LoI.  There's lots of room for interesting stuff, showing Leon and Mathias's friendship during the Crusades, before Elizabeta died.  Like with LoS1, showing Mathias's descent into madness could be a lot of fun even though it wouldn't start off very Castlevania-y.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »
If a CV III movie was ever made I would not want to see any CoD elements or characters in it as that's not the CV III I remember growing up with. I think both CV I and CV II would make a good candidate for a movie like so;

We start off with the prologue of the film; Classic CV I and Simon's final battle between him and Dracula. The remains of Dracula's followers are strewn about the empty hallways as well as the six defeated guardians (it would make for a grisly scene. After Dracula dies and we see the infamous castle crumbling sequence then we get to main part of the movie where Simon is living out his days in peace but starts to succumb to an illness and physical stress that he cannot explain. At the same time creatures of the night prowl the lands once more, and Transylvania falls on hard times due to massive crop failures triggering rampant famine, and the Black Plague rears its ugly head once more. While traveling to a nearby cemetery Simon receives a visitation from a woman spirit who tells him of what has transpired since his fight with the Count. She also tells Simon of his condition and that the only way to save himself and the land is to collect Dracula's remains and burn them in order to end the curse. Then Simon's quest begins. Many minor elements in the game could have bigger roles like the Crystal knights. They could aid Simon as his mission to free the land is also their cause.

Having Simon's quest told in a movie rather then a game would add lot's of depth and the story that most of us never got to hear about and see in the game itself. And no, the woman in the cemetery would not be Sara as I'd rather see the CV movie presented as the classic games were; without the IGA elements. It should be something to stand on it's own and told in a classic light as the games themselves were. A reference to Trevor Belmont could be in there just to help ties things together with CV III but that's as far as I would want it to be taken.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »
I agree with what has been said, CV3 would do a great film. I would even put some Lisa/Dracula stuff as a prologue to set the thing up.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
I can't say I've ever really thought about it for more than a moment...some games have made good movies, but I always fear another Mario Bros. fiasco, y'know?

But then, everyone's ideas sound great!  I'd have to cast my vote with either the CV3 story (though I'd be one who'd WANT the CoD mix thrown in somehow...it just seems like they'd need more stuff to make it a good movie), or the LoI story.  And while I would wish to see my favorite game (Legacy of Darkness) in a movie, I don't really see any way that could possibly be adapted to be any good.  I mean...I guess Reinhardt and Carrie (and Henry too!) could be doing stuff in different parts of the castle at the same time, giving you some stories to jump between, but it just doesn't seem like there's enough to really make a story out of, live-action or otherwise.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »
Castlevania 3, definitely.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 05:54:29 PM »
Lords of Shadow.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to see CV3 like most everyone here. But LOS is just more... adaptable to Hollywood than classic CV.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 05:57:11 PM »
+1
LoS is pretty much Castlevania: The Movie: The Game.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.