Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Silent Hill  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Silent Hill
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:09:16 PM »
...Is it just me or after your first silent hill game you stop being even slightly scared by the game? I've beaten them all (err..at the end of origins but it is too sunny to play now) but after 5 minutes it is already repetitive. I've played other horror games and they kept it exciting (except re4 but that is more action than horror)There are only 2 or 3 enemies in the SH games, the camera angle/follow system is glitchy, and combat lame and feels outta place. I only play them for the story now which isn't all that good. Seems like a rant about the game but im just wondering if anyone else feels this way. (I don't know anyone else that actually plays them.) Hopefully 5 will be good.

And as a side note. Nemesis > Butcher+Pyramidhead
-----------------------------------------------
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »
I agree about the camera angles being glitchy, and the fighting system just seems so, well, "sluggish" I guess is the right word when compared to other survival horror games, such as the pre-RE4 RE's. I think on the other hand, though, that the enemies are unique looking and there is a varied enough number of them to keep things interesting. I've been playing them sine SH1 first debuted, and I have to say that they still have that same fear factor for me that they always did. And I'm with you, I mostly just play them for the story now, which sadly has began to be a bit lacking. Hopefuly though like you said, SH5 will redeem itself story wise, and in all other aspects.

Viva la Pyramidhead!
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Silent Hill
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:11:04 PM »
Just beat Origins. I was looking forward to opening room 500...it ended up being kinda funny though it wasn't supposed to be. And the accolades suck. Bleh, for a handheld it was pretty good though. And some of the music was ok.
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:26 PM »
In Reply To #3

My "copy" of the game locked up RIGHT before I was getting ready to open room 500.  >:(

On topic though, i get scared every first play through of each game. Afterwards, I know more of what to expect and it isn't as scary, but the first time is always awesome!

As for the combat, I like it. The characters aren't supposed to be military trained. They're regular people using regular weapons. Part of why RE isn't scary is because your characters are tanks. They have a million guns and all sorts of combat training. There's something that makes survival horror a little more, well, HORRIFYING when you're trying to kill some monster with nothing but a plank of wood rather than an overpowered machine gun.  :P

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 09:17:39 PM »
In Reply To #4

Well they die in less hits than in RE. If you run out of bullets it can take a ton of knifing to take down a zombie (and skill). Travis can lock on in Origins with firearms and I didn't bother with melee weapons since you don't really have to fight anything anyway. My complaint was more with how poorly the battle system is. You walk up and have to be right against them to hit them and the stomping thing doesn't work half the time (especially when there is another monster next to the fallen one. You end up swinging at the air while one attacks you and the other gets up.) I also hate how you can't hear anything outside. Maybe they did that for effect but I think it makes it less scary.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »
The melee weapons of 0 suck balls. A wrench breaks after being used two times? Riight..it was nice they tried something new, but this isn't the way to go. They could use breakable weapons later, though (the TVs were a nice touch), just not have all the damn things fall apart.

The story of 0rigins surprised me pleasantly. It was a combination of the personal trauma angle of SH2 and the cult/demonic hell stuff of SH1. Overall it was, however, a lot less scary than the previous ones.

The camera angles were sometimes awkward, at least in the PS2 version. They should've just kept it like it was. Sometimes you can't take a look at your enemy and therefore can't attack it properly. When this is combined with the more aggressive and tenacious monsters, combat becomes cumbersome. Also, the loading times were pretty long.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:03:09 PM by A-Yty »

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 09:27:23 PM »
In Reply To #6

The melee weapons are a lot more useful than in any of the games previous to SH4. In the other games, most of the melee weapons are trash, but you can actually kick quite a bit of ass in 4 & 0 with the melee stuff. You almost don't even HAVE to bother with guns.

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 09:14:18 AM »
I got all the endings now and the bad ending is the best but it is annoying to get. The accolades suck but one of the costumes lets you run without having to stop every five feet for air. I have to beat it two more times for the last three accolades then im DONE with this game till im 100.

Tags:

anything