Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: 64 vs. SOTN  (Read 10027 times)

tazamaroo

64 vs. SOTN
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »
Personally, I'd say the PS1 version holds a much steadier ground, 3D or no.

Gavites Games - Castlevania 64 Rip-Off - Castlevania Symphony of the Night...wait wut?? (E9 S2)

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »
You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who sides with the N64 version over SotN I'm afraid.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »
+2
You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who sides with the N64 version over SotN I'm afraid.

This ^^^

SOTN is "critically acclaimed" and is a all around fan favorite amongst CV fans.

There are very few who did not like it, you may find only a handful of members who who view Symphony in a lesser view than CV64.

But CV64 isn't as nearly loved as SOTN which really does not make this a fair contest.

Not that its a bad game, I actually liked it alot and thought it was a great translation into the 3.D realm of CV and loved its platforming.

A better .vs. battle would have been CVSOTN vs SCIV if you ask me.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »
+3
Yeah I personally enjoyed the N64 CV's. In fact, I have LoD emulated atm since my brother has my N64. Sure the controls were a little clunky, but I just perceived it as Castlevania at its roots. And LoD giving you control of the camera solved a lot of THAT frustration.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »
+1
Yeah, I love the N64 Castlevania titles, but compared to SotN? That's apples and oranges right there.

Interesting video though, is there any confirmation for a canceled 32x CV title being the basis of SotN? I always imagined RoB being the basis for SotN's development/evolution.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »
+2
I personally really liked CV64. To me it's what a 3D CV should be. Sure it has it's problems but I'm able to look past them. I thought it had some cool ideas too. Like having vampires be able to bite you and having to cure it before you change into one. I wish they would try to improve on what they had here.

For comparing what's better... you really can't. SotN is more rpg and backtracking while CV is more(at least to me) Classicvania. Both are good games but have very different play styles.

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »
+2
Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are really the only three-dimensional Castlevania games I've cared to play through more than once.

SotN is amazing for what it is, but that's almost an entirely different take on the series (for a number of reasons). It's safe to say that Castlevania 64/LoD was the last game that made me feel like it was more about having to drive a wooden stake through the Count's chest cavity at any cost, rather than beautiful anime men, whose powers seem only limited to imagination.

There are no wooden stakes in Castlevania 64/LoD, but I felt limited, vulnerable, as I should. I enjoy all of the titles so far (with the exception of Lords of Shadow), but for different reasons. Konami created a fork in the road over SotN's popularity, and I'm not bitter, but I certainly wouldn't object to more games like Castlevania 64/LoD (three-dimensional or not).
(click to show/hide)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »
+1
I would love for KoJ to make CV64 & LoD into a Chronicles set, for the 3DS with improved controls & whatnot. I think it'd sell quite well, too

I've been meaning to hook up my n64 & run through CV64, later this month perhaps

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: 64 vs. SOTN
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 09:00:48 PM »
+2
It's really comparing two different things.  CV64 was the first attempt at a 3D CV and Konami did a great job considering.  And it seems they did learned from it.  LoD was marginally better, but that's because it came out so soon after CV64.  SotN, while being 2D, was set up differently from the games that came before it in that it had RPG elements and metroid style exploration.  Both these games were experiments in new directions. 

Both these games were steps in new directions.  As someone already said, there was a metaphorical fork placed in the road at that time.  Every CV game that came out after those two was either 3D or a SotN clone.  Regarding the PS2 titles (LoI and CoD) Konami attempted to merge those two ideas with decent results (CoD was shit though).

In the end, while SotN is held in higher regard compared to CV64, both games should be recognized for what they are: experiments into new directions which led to the games we have now. (my opinion)
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 07:29:28 AM »
I for once on the CV64 side. I enjoyed it far more than SOTN and I thought that it was much more interesting and atmospheric. As for gameplay - both games had problems.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 08:10:55 AM »
+2
Apples and tomatos. CV64 special edition/LoD is imo the best 3Dvania and one of my personal favorite games of all time. But SOTN is probably one of the greatest games ever made. Beyond just personal gut preference though it depends on what you're comparing them by. If you're going by influence well of course SOTN is going to win as it redefined "Castlevania" in the minds of the general public. But as far as being true to what was traditionally core Castlevania, 64 wins hands down. I mean at the time that was kind of the point of playing as Alucard, he wouldn't see or go through the Castle the same way a Belmont would, since it many ways he was akin to the creatures within it.
At the end of the day they're both tremendously fun games that deserve to be played.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:13:17 AM by Ratty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »
+1
You definitely cannot compare SotN with CV64/LoD. They are two different games that play in two totally different ways. One 2D, the other 3D. I like both, but I'll admit that I was turned off by CV64 when I first heard about it. At the time the SotN craze was still in full swing and the idea of a 3D Castlevania just didn't sit well with me. But after playing through it I rather enjoyed it. Great music, great atmosphere, even the graphics at the time were also good. While I did find it tricky to play what with the jerky camera and all, I liked the game. To this day I still play CV64/Lod. Way more-so then LoI and CoD.

I would love for KoJ to make CV64 & LoD into a Chronicles set, for the 3DS with improved controls & whatnot. I think it'd sell quite well, too

I wanna f**king see this! They did it with Zelda 64 and it turned out very well, so why not LoD?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 10:04:08 AM »
+1
SOTN, hands down for me. But I can't help but have Castlevania 64 be my forever 'what could have been' game. So much potential. And the mood/atmosphere was spot on for me.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: 64 vs. SOTN
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 10:45:21 AM »
+2
To add to what I said yesterday, both SotN and CV64 had there flaws.  SotN was way too easy (especially once you get a crissagrim).  As for CV64, the camera angles sucked and were hard to control.  Plus, the controls were somewhat shitty and the design seemed very blocky.  Honestly, if Konami made a remake of CV64 and LoD with updated graphics (LoS quality) and better controls, they would be well received and I'd buy them.

On a more personal note, I hated the fifth level of CV64.  I could never get the Magical Nitro down to the Arena where the bull is.  No matter what I did, it would explode on me.  I would just be walking and it would explode even though it should not have.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »
+1

On a more personal note, I hated the fifth level of CV64.  I could never get the Magical Nitro down to the Arena where the bull is.  No matter what I did, it would explode on me.  I would just be walking and it would explode even though it should not have.

oh boy, do I remember that level... >:(

I remember spending 2 hours straight trying to get past that part of the game and exploding so many times I lost count lol.

It was a real pain to get past that part and took A LOT of patience.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

anything