Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why is Super Castlevania IV a remake and not a sequel?  (Read 18387 times)

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Why is Super Castlevania IV a remake and not a sequel?
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
+1
Did anybody at Konami ever give a reason on why Super Castlevania IV was made as a remake instead of a sequel? It could easily have been a new Belmont fighting a newly resurrected Dracula. All it had to do was state it in the intro story.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Why is Super Castlevania IV a remake and not a sequel?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:24:32 AM »
Maybe it would be cheesy since Dracula only rises once every century, but already have risen 2 times (CV1 and CV2). A third time would turn this legend in a joke.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
+1
Maybe it would be cheesy since Dracula only rises once every century, but already have risen 2 times (CV1 and CV2). A third time would turn this legend in a joke.

But what I'm saying is that part IV could have taken place 100 years after part 1 or 2.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
I have a theory that Super Castlevania IV was meant to be a mini-reboot of the storyline or a one-shot AU story featuring a different incarnation of Simon.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
Perhaps they thought it was "safer" to do a remake, but alas we'll never know for sure.
I think the programmers were just huge fans of CV1 and wanted to do another homage of sorts.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »

THIS

Castlevania Simon's Quest
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »
THIS

Castlevania Simon's Quest
That was great. My question is: If CV4 is a remake of the first game, why does it say in the intro that ONCE AGAIN Simon is going to fight Dracula (well at least it does in the US version)?

All things considered, SCV4 is the best classicvania to this day. Level design was great. Controls were nice. Difficulty was very fair (the game got harder as you progressed, but was never unfair).
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »
That was great. My question is: If CV4 is a remake of the first game, why does it say in the intro that ONCE AGAIN Simon is going to fight Dracula (well at least it does in the US version)?

Its not in the original JP version, they tried to make it a sequel in US changing this.

Mooning Freddy- lol
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:06:29 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »
To this day I still see Super Castlevania IV as THE sequel to Castlevania II. The SCV 4 intro tombstone is virtually identical to the CV II best ending sequence. Simon is freed from the curse that plagued him and now that he has his strength back he's ready and ripped to face the count once more. Plus Slogra and Gaibon were introduced in SCV IV and have been are very popular boss characters onward.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:35:12 PM »
Simon Belmont was a very popular game character back in those days, so the devs likely wanted to make a game pitting him against Count Dracula, but they realized it would be silly for Simon to keep fighting a guy that supposedly only rises once every 100 years again and again.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:21:08 PM »
I admit that they could simple give a excuse that Dracula isn't really dead (like in CV: Adventure), but so no one would take seriously that blab about "every century".
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:30:13 AM »
You know, they could also have called him Simon Belmont VII. Or say that the protagonist was named after Simon Belmont or whatever. So, I think that argument is a little weak.

To expand on why I think Castlevania IV was meant to be a reboot, when the game was a released, a guidebook was released called "All About Akumajo Dracula". It's a very interesting guidebook because it expands on the storyline of the game and pretty much ignores the games that came before it. For example, the guidebook says that the Belmont Clan is not an actual family, but a clan of Dhampirs.

Secondly, when I had that talk with IGA he told me he considers Castlevania IV to be an alternate continuity. So, I think the common assumption that this game is a "remake" is false. The only game that has been confirmed to be a remake (in the loose sense of the word) is Akumajo Dracula X68000, and even that game is described as a "rearrangement" of the original game.     
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:34:12 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 12:53:05 AM »
For example, the guidebook says that the Belmont Clan is not an actual family, but a clan of Dhampirs.

They are drunk? lol
I mean, if atleast they I've already launched CV Legends this can be plausible, but writing that from the blue is like saying that they are a clan of aliens, or robots, or mutants and so on.

I agree with you that they could change the name of the char and year of the game, but thats 2 changes needed, which is a great hint that they ever planned to this game doesnt be a sequel.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »
They are drunk? lol
I mean, if atleast they I've already launched CV Legends this can be plausible, but writing that from the blue is like saying that they are a clan of aliens, or robots, or mutants and so on.

I think it's a really cool and unique take on the Castlevania mythos. I think the reason they are Dhampirs is because according to legends Dhampirs are naturally born vampire hunters.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 01:14:03 AM »
Well, thats new to me, but now that you've mentioned that it seems natural, like in Blade from  Marvel lol
But I still feel that odd to put the idea in a random guide but doesnt use the idea in a game.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything