Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse  (Read 274352 times)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse
« Reply #660 on: October 21, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »
I'm still trying to beat level one. :P

I like the way everything looks in the game and so far the presentation is very nice! You can sense the heart in the project!

Is the point of this beta to mainly tweak the programming, or are you doing any graphic/sound tweaking still?

In respect to Castlevania 3, I will say that I found it a little off-putting starting out the game as Grant in an unfamiliar level. My personal opinion is that while the game is a remake, it should still start the player as Trevor Belmont. Because I apparently suck ass at this game and still have not progressed through level 1, nothing feels like Castlevania 3 to me as of yet. :-/

There are some other issues that I have experienced, but they have all been mentioned in the thread already.

Anyways, all in all I think you've done a great job! I'll keep you posted as I make progress with a pm.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #661 on: October 23, 2014, 07:43:01 AM »
FIRST: Im loving that project, because of it I will say about every bug that I find being 100% sincere so it can become even better, please dont misunderstand these and future findings as harassment or bashing, thanks.

I finally have some time to test this game the way it deserves, I will post my finds here and edit my post if necessary, being bug or suggestions (feel free to ignore my suggestions lol). I know that you are still tweaking visual things, but even so I will say about them so you know what I find okay? Let's begin :P :

-SERIOUS BUGS (aesthetic and more)-

Sounds, please if possible, make a playable character activates ALL sounds based on animation, not on key press, since you can hear it even when the char does nothing.

If while climbing with Grant you hold Up+Down, Grant will start his animation while stopped. Also  you cant try to walk to a wall and climb it, the game only lets you climb if you jump in the wall first, otherwise you will be stuck in a similar way. BUT then you can climb down and enter the floor and walls LOL

(Who needs Sword Brothers glitch? Im fucking Grant)
^This happened on the third screen from the first stage, on the first climb wall^

If you cling on the ceiling  this doesnt seem to happen, pressing left+right makes Grant stop as it should it seems, but if you go in the direction of wall on the left, he puts his head inside of it, BUT I think it can be fixed be aligning his sprites maybe.

Also when climbing a wall, a skeleton archer hitten me, throwing me away in another wall direction and this happened :

-Anywhere-
If you press F2 to restart the game, some tracks continue to play instead of stopping.

Maybe its me, but hearts disappears very fast, you could add atleast more 3 seconds?

Stages 1, 2 and 3 title cards are incosistent, I think you didnt had time to update them, also Stage 4 title card is blank, no text appears.

-Intro-
I really likes what I've seen, very well made, but you can add a fade out effect too? Scenes changes very abruptly and IMO would hold even more the feel this way. Also on the cliffside, it wouldn't be better to move Trevor a little bit to the left?

-Title Screen-
If you press Enter before the title appears, it begins the game. I think it would be better to instead skip that nice things that appears and show the options (start game or password) instead of instantly beginning the game, since you can skip and choose the password function in less time :P

-Intro Book-
Some images are outdated, like Sypha fire magic, it would be good to update them when you have time :)

If you press Enter fast, texts and images stop appearing, so I got stuck on this screen with flipping blank pages.

I've noticed too that the text is very big, in Alucard book it even gets behind the image. You are using a custom font in your PC by any chance? If yes I suggest you to transform the text into a image, so it will be consistent in any PC.

-Game Over-
At first I couldn't move to choose exit, then I waited some seconds pressing A S D F E and the cursor appeared, now being able to choose a option :)
It seems that you wanted to do it like in the old games, where you need to first hear the music to then choose a option, in this case I suggest that you hide these golden skulls cursor and these "continue and exit texts", making them appear only AFTER the music ends.

The way it is now gives me the illusion that I can choose something, when I can't yet :P

I've died one time with a upgrade level 2 using Grant (he is using a sickle like knife), then when I choose to continue I was still using it, instead of receiving a weapon reset. Hearts aren't resetting on the first stage too.

I was able to press continue one time before the music ended, so I was hearing the game over and stage music at the same time.

-Stage 0 (Grant)-
No time limit (intended for tests right? ;) )

It feels very strange to start with him (xD) but anyway, the first thing that I did was go to the left, then I got out of the screen with no way to go back, I even could see the rest of the stage, I think I was below the floor.

Grant weapon doesnt deal damage to these guys holding a lantern I think, I stabbed them a lot of times, also a visual indication on the bone pillars so you know if you are really hitting them would be cool.

Bone pillars can hit Grant even if he is crouching, they seem to be a bit too fast (but I think people already mentioned it) and when I died near a purple candle in the first screen, that I've already destroyed, it magically reappeared when Grant' death animation started (also the death animation played twice instead of stopping), it seems to always happen.

Bone pillars can shoot off-screen, doing some cheap damage since you can't predict what you can't see before for even a fraction of second. Also they can shoot even when dead at the last second, but maybe its me nitpicking about that last part.

Last candle (blue) from the first and second screens couldn't be destroyed. Also loving that part when a lighting puts fire on the forest on second screen background.

Crouching attack doesnt does damage.

Going to third screen...

Bloody Skeleton (That armored one with a knife, first enemy on screen) walked past the left wall like it was nothing.

Maybe its because of the angle, but climbing animation makes Grant fat :P
Also if you try to climb up and hit your head on the diagonal ceiling, you fall instantly instead of stopping to move and continue clinging on the wall.

Grant thrown daggers (these when clinging in a wall) cannot destroy candles nor hit enemies.

When Dullahan (skeleton wearing purple with a thunder sword) turns, he isnt aligned.

Grant attack sounds are wrong IMO, if you press it very fast you can hear more stabs and "hiyah!" than he is really doing, I suggest that you do it in a way that instead of checking presses, it checks animation start for damage and sound. As it is now you can hit a enemy more times than you can see.

Power-up items aren't aligned with candles, making it appears a very noticeable bit to the left.

On the fourth screen you can walk on these spikes that Behemoth walks too.

This part looks like a wall, (same thing at the pillar in the beginning of the sixth screen) but it isnt, darken it more could help? Also a little before this part, its easy to cheap die because you can "trip" on the floor, you try to walk and then it falls instead of walking on the ledge, I think this ledge is misaligned.

First candle on fifth screen cant be destroyed, 3 last candles (includes a purple candle) cannot too.
Thrown dagger works in a enemy in this screen, a baloon pod (but then he disappears without doing his death animation and spawning mini baloons).

On the sixth screen, you cant kill medusa heads while jumping, also last candle doesnt works again.

At the seventh screen, you can "break" a 3D house in the background because of the paralax, something is wrong, if you move back and forth, this will happen:

Third candle doesnt works. Cant hit Axe Armor if you jump and then attack.

At the Boss battle, you cant attack while jumping nor crouching, but you can hear the attack sound anyways. Also you cant damage it even if you hit a attack while standing (It seems to be intentional).

-Stage 0 (Sypha)-

Title card doesnt follow you, so you can walk to the left and see it getting behind.

Something about her movements are strange, if you are hit some strange force pushes you to the left, like as if you were fighting for control, it only gets back to normal if you stop pressing right or if you attack, if you continue pressing right and then crouch, you will slide to the left at full force.

If you try to crouch attack it doesnt work yet, sometimes he will stand and try to crouch again, like as if she is dancing xD

Sometimes Ice Shards pops into the sky for a split second.

Zombies are misaligned to the bridge, they are pixels down the floor.

If you jump and press fire magic button, she will shout without doing magic, while she will use the ice magic in the air in a strange way since she is not on the floor.

Frozen Bone Pillar becomes invincible and still does damage, also the ice never melts even using fire :D
Died, returned at the same place and it stills frozen.

The lack of candles in this stage makes it feel strange to me, I dont know why, maybe its only me.

On the third screen, if you walk in direction of a wall, Sypha will tremble and flick in a super fast way, also pits doesnt kill you in any screen.

-Stage 0 (Alucard)-

Alucard walks so slow, something can be done about that?

You can walk through the right wall if you jump, on the first screen.

On the second screen, that Giant Armor turns like a freak if you walk under him in a strange way, also Alucard double jump isnt smooth to do, it only works some times, Trevor backflip is a good example of how the input should be to be better.

Alucard also have that strange pushing him when hit, but this time not to the left, but to the opposite side he was looking.

Since Im feeling tired of bug testing for hours non-stop (bug testing is very different than enjoying the game, it is tiring and you cant enjoy it fully :P ) maybe I will continue to search bugs only another day, see ya.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:20:19 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #662 on: October 23, 2014, 12:08:56 PM »
"List Send"
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:13:25 AM by eryson »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #663 on: October 23, 2014, 05:35:44 PM »
holy s**t, you guys are really digging fer bugs!  :o
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #664 on: October 23, 2014, 06:53:30 PM »
i pm him a lot of bugs too i would had posted it here but he asked me not to post the bugs and pm him them ppl trying to steal his stuff.
I'm at stage 12 right now just with work i haven't had time to do the last 5 stages

but let me tell you all this game is bad ass i love the things he's done even with all these bugs its still bad ass when he fixs everything this will be a master peace!!!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #665 on: October 23, 2014, 07:02:35 PM »
I agree with you on that mgfcortez, this game is awesome, it only need some repairs and then can become a master piece, THIS IS ART!
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #666 on: October 25, 2014, 03:31:47 PM »
well i beat it and it has a lot of work to be done but i tried to find every bug i could i went threw stages over and over thats why it too so long but i sent him my list
i really enjoyed this bad ass game even with all its bugs can't wait to see it at 100% cause even broken as it is right now it beats a lot of other games hands down.
and I'm in awe of his programing work sure theres bugs but the things he done in this game its just bad ass just you all wait you'll love this game somethings aren't like the nes witch i missed and hope he'll fix i listed them but he has some good things that wasn't in the nes too ;D

anyway its been a blast

Offline eryson

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #667 on: October 25, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »
As he’s very busy in these days, i think he will be scared with the enormous ammount of content what we've send to him hahahah! Great work guys!

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #668 on: October 25, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »
As he’s very busy in these days, i think he will be scared with the enormous ammount of content what we've send to him hahahah! Great work guys!

yeah i had a big list of bugs very long i just hope he don't get dishearted by so many bugs something like this can be over whelming i hope to see him fix them when he gets time

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #669 on: October 25, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
yeah i had a big list of bugs very long i just hope he don't get dishearted by so many bugs something like this can be over whelming i hope to see him fix them when he gets time

To say the truth I was like that too, but I've confidence in him. :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline the_truth

• Like it or not... the truth still is what it is!
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #670 on: October 29, 2014, 03:30:10 AM »
This game is, unsurprisingly (sad to say as I really would like to see a nice CV3 remake) a huge mess. I got ahold of your demo (don't ask how; lets just say I have friends and its none of your business) and suffice to say it was what I expected it to be based on the reactions I saw last time to the critiques you received. And by this I mean that people who usually get upset over hearing the obvious truth, usually are not known for having high quality standards in the long run. Case in point: someone told you guys a few days ago that the game was unplayable, and the gfx clashed. And you immediately went on the defensive, when he is 100% right.

You guys really should forget about adding in more content, and focus on your basic physics, collisions, and movement. Not to mention more extensively bug testing internally. While the idea of releasing it like this and letting others bug test it for you might seem like a good one, most of the issues found should be things that you guys caught easily, and I have to say that you guys really need some better quality control standards. Some candles not working for example is beyond absurd, and some of my attacks just doing no damage at all when they should is ridiculous, hitboxes are atrocious, and there is no excuse for such a blatant lack of testing. To someone like me with programming experience, this is just repugnant.

I will say that I feel this thing has a LOT of potential, has a lot of novel (sp) ideas and overall could be lots of fun. I like the idea of starting off with someone different, thrown into a strange atmosphere with no warning. But the games controls, physics and enemies right now (the bone pillars; WTF?) just all feel like a pre alpha version of a game and needs a LOT more polishing in all aspects before it could be considered anywhere near ready for a release.  The same goes for a lot of the gfx and effects (though those should come last). If you think this game is anywhere near ready for a public release, you are just lying to yourselves.

If this offends don't know what to say: deal.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #671 on: October 29, 2014, 06:23:08 AM »
This game is, unsurprisingly (sad to say as I really would like to see a nice CV3 remake) a huge mess. I got ahold of your demo (don't ask how; lets just say I have friends and its none of your business) and suffice to say it was what I expected it to be based on the reactions I saw last time to the critiques you received. And by this I mean that people who usually get upset over hearing the obvious truth, usually are not known for having high quality standards in the long run. Case in point: someone told you guys a few days ago that the game was unplayable, and the gfx clashed. And you immediately went on the defensive, when he is 100% right.

You guys really should forget about adding in more content, and focus on your basic physics, collisions, and movement. Not to mention more extensively bug testing internally. While the idea of releasing it like this and letting others bug test it for you might seem like a good one, most of the issues found should be things that you guys caught easily, and I have to say that you guys really need some better quality control standards. Some candles not working for example is beyond absurd, and some of my attacks just doing no damage at all when they should is ridiculous, hitboxes are atrocious, and there is no excuse for such a blatant lack of testing. To someone like me with programming experience, this is just repugnant.

I will say that I feel this thing has a LOT of potential, has a lot of novel (sp) ideas and overall could be lots of fun. I like the idea of starting off with someone different, thrown into a strange atmosphere with no warning. But the games controls, physics and enemies right now (the bone pillars; WTF?) just all feel like a pre alpha version of a game and needs a LOT more polishing in all aspects before it could be considered anywhere near ready for a release.  The same goes for a lot of the gfx and effects (though those should come last). If you think this game is anywhere near ready for a public release, you are just lying to yourselves.

If this offends don't know what to say: deal.

You know that for starters you're playing something that you dont even are suposed to play yet right? By the way you said, you dont even are a beta-tester and someone leaked the beta, you started wrong here IMO.

Also if you know that it can offend someone, why post in this way? Or you are trolling or you didnt took your time to write something in a less disrespectful way.

Yes this game have a lot of bugs as of now, but he released this demo for beta-testing and only for that, since he is focusing mainly on stage design and putting characters/enemies on the game, he will polish animations later and is still fixing bugs.

So to clarify why this game is this way right now, its because it isnt finished and isnt publicly released yet.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #672 on: October 29, 2014, 08:06:57 AM »
You know that for starters you're playing something that you dont even are suposed to play yet right? By the way you said, you dont even are a beta-tester and someone leaked the beta, you started wrong here IMO.

Also if you know that it can offend someone, why post in this way? Or you are trolling or you didnt took your time to write something in a less disrespectful way.

Yes this game have a lot of bugs as of now, but he released this demo for beta-testing and only for that, since he is focusing mainly on stage design and putting characters/enemies on the game, he will polish animations later and is still fixing bugs.

So to clarify why this game is this way right now, its because it isnt finished and isnt publicly released yet.

If what you claimed to Ratty turns out to be true.. how pathetic! ROFL My 2 cents.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline eryson

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #673 on: October 29, 2014, 08:17:15 AM »
@the_truth, as you're saying about errors in candles and the bone pillar, is obvious you're not talking about the Demo, but, the Beta version, what you're obtained in a wrong way.

So, as you're not a betatester, either aren't interested in help, but keep talking about very obvious and silly things, what you think about wait for the final version?

Serious, you're not caring in say THE TRUTH, anyway, you're just being premature.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #674 on: October 29, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »
Im at work now and cant give my full "truth" comment just yet, but dont worry; you'll get the full response later assclown.

As for my testers, thank you guys so much for your thorough and in depth feedback!!! 8) as ive said since the beginning, without your help this game wouldn't leave the ground!

But back to you Esco, wasn't a perma ban enough to realize that no one here wants your troll bs? But as I said, ill adress your "truth" later on this evening.

To everyone else in the meantime, enjoy giving this "expert programmer" troll what he deserves being a douche nozzle!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:57:58 AM by BMC_War Machine »
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Tags:

anything