Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 455146 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »
Nifty castle  :)  I like the parchment touch to it as well. But didn't IGA say that the castle in AoS was in fact the very same incarnation that appeared in 1999? With that logic shouldn't the castle resemble the one from AoS?

You're correct, but I don't remember IGA saying it. I do remember some people (including myself) reaching the same conclusion: The castle in AoS should be the same because had it crumbled, there would be no castle to seal. Plus, Julius Belmont remembers where the whip is, something that'd be impossible to do had the castle changed too much.

However, there are some things we must take into account:
-Genya Arikado says that the castle currently inside the eclipse is a spiritual world.
-Graham says that Dracula's TRUE castle exists somewhere else (possibly in the mentioned "spiritual world").
-Alucard in SotN says that the castle "may take many incarnations."

This all lends some credibility to the idea that the spiritual castle rebuilds a different physical shape for itself everytime it reincarnates, so it can act on Earth. Therefore, when Dracula's Castle physical form is destroyed, its spiritual form is kept intact in the spiritual plane to reincarnate later. The spiritual form would be the one we see in AoS, and the physical forms would be the ones we see acting on Earth in the other games (this would include 1999). What the Hakuba Priest did was seal the spiritual form to prevent it from rebuilding new physical forms for itself.

As for Julius remembering the whip's location: Some places, regardless how many times the castle returns, never disappear from the it's general makeup. This makes it possible for Julius to remember where the whip is, even though the room/domain itself changed places. Specially if this place is of high importance, like the throne room, the giant clock or the entrance.

But, even on top of all this, the previous logic of being the same castle is most likely the one I will be (kinda) using in this story too. The castle must be kept intact to be sealed, but only after Dracula is destroyed and unable to prevent its sealing. However, I choose the route to create a new one due to creative freedom. The castle in Aria is too small for four characters to explore, and if this turns into a game, I believe people wouldn't be too happy to play Aria all over again. I'm using three bold-faced excuses to do that:

1. As the castle gets sucked into the eclipse, numerous towers crumble and fall off, forcing the castle to remake them or move entire places around to compensate and avoid total crumbling;
2. The paths they take inside the castle in AoS and in UoS are different. The castle isn't a perfect 2D plane;
3. The castle regenerates over time, filling in some places with new domains, but some scars are too deep to regenerate (see AoS entrance with all the destroyed walls);

The fact that the castle is alive and is fuelled by chaotic power helps alot  ;D

But still, regardless of what path I follow, many details/places/rooms from Aria will remain the same (specially the ones where you meet Julius Belmont). I'll even show how the Floating Garden came to be, as it's "not floating" by 1999, and how it's possible for Julius to remember where the whip is, even if the castle has changed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:40:52 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2015, 01:59:35 AM »
This looks so AWESOME;) ;D  Thnxs ;)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »
Hey plot, I'm working on an open-source metroidvania style engine right now. When I have time to polish it, wanna check it out?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2015, 07:41:34 PM »
Hey plot, I'm working on an open-source metroidvania style engine right now. When I have time to polish it, wanna check it out?

Of course, send it my way!

Offline NetSphereEngineer

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
Hi! I'm new here and I'm justing passing to tell this project looks great and I also loved the Alucard art made by Junki Sakuraba!!! This is what I wanted to see in Dawn of Sorrow!

Would be great to be able to hack the game and change all artworks by new ones made by Junki Sakuraba :)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2015, 08:24:55 PM »
My apolagies, plot. I lost the source code while reformatting. Luckily I have been able to get the basic physics down, but sliding, ladders, menus, and other stuff i had programmed is gonna take a while. Sorry.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2015, 04:29:10 AM »
My apolagies, plot. I lost the source code while reformatting. Luckily I have been able to get the basic physics down, but sliding, ladders, menus, and other stuff i had programmed is gonna take a while. Sorry.

No problem, dude ;)
What you have here is already very nice! Once you have all there basic things done, please show it so we can discuss it.

I have some too-ambitious ideas for this in case we can work a game out of the idea, but we can make a relativelly simple classicvania out of it, too. I have no qualms about it at all.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2015, 08:22:43 AM »
No problem, dude ;)
What you have here is already very nice! Once you have all there basic things done, please show it so we can discuss it.

I have some too-ambitious ideas for this in case we can work a game out of the idea, but we can make a relativelly simple classicvania out of it, too. I have no qualms about it at all.

Thank you! I plan on having the engine with options for classic style and metroidvania style.

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2015, 01:40:39 PM »
A Classicvania Filled with Deep-history can be cool indeed, and more easy  8)

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »

What engine are you building this in?

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2015, 08:08:23 PM »
What engine are you building this in?

I planned on using Unity with C++, but ultimately decided with gamemakerStudio.

Offline AuraTeam

• Hunter in Training
  • God cooked my dinner once again
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 2nd Place 2015 -  Christmas Award 2nd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2015, 09:07:24 PM »
I planned on using Unity with C++, but ultimately decided with gamemakerStudio.
Game Maker : Studio ! great decision Man ;) and i'm glad that people still use GM:S  ;D

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »
Small update:

This has not stopped. In fact I'm discussing many different plot details with some few people here trying to coalesce everything before I post it. I know I promised Julius' origin to come soon, but I still can't show it yet. There are too many intrincate details surrounding Julius' rise as the last Belmont to face Dracula that will play important roles in the main storyline itself, and I'm trying to be extra careful with what I write, because people can get touchy lol.

Prediction for the Julius' origin reveal: Possibly before July 30. And I warn you beforehand: The thing is HUGE.

Now, for something I can already tell about:

While developing Julius, I've written more or less about how Dracula achieved his ranking as the Dark Lord amongst such powerful demons, how did he acquire the power of Dominance, and what exactly is the nature/origin of Chaos and its relationship with the Count. These are some key details in the 1999 plot itself, and if you wish to know about it, I can send it to you through PM. I can't post it yet due to spoilers, and due to the fact that things must be kept in an orderly fashion here, but I can still show it to you and explain how these things connect with 1999.

What I can make public for now is this: The Dark Lord title is not something only Dracula has owned. Before Dracula, there was another Dark Lord, and his name was Amatsu-Mikaboshi.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:13:16 PM by theplottwist »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2015, 01:40:38 PM »
While you wait for Julius, here is Umbra's explanation for how Dracula became the Dark Lord.

Dracula:

(click to show/hide)

Detail explanations:

(click to show/hide)

Any and all critique is welcome.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:46:20 AM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2015, 10:21:43 AM »
Interesting  :)  Although I can't stress enough about Chaos as Chaos itself is not a demonic being but merely the opposite of Order. I feel that the final boss you face in AoS is not Chaos but a creature born out of Chaos itself. Also if you look at it the creature itself is also very orderly in nature as well, and there is no order in raw Chaos whatsoever. Amatsu-Mikaboshi (as you mentioned) is the primordial god of Chaos and the stars, but he is not Chaos itself. IGA never thought this one element through and I wish he had as it doesn't make sense that Chaos itself would be the main enemy when Chaos has no form to recognize, let alone be recognized. Yet we clearly see a uniform boss at the end of AoS. It contains Chaotic elements, but in the end it is far more orderly then chaotic.

Also about the demon castle. Liked the info you did for this one. However I think Dracula would have made Castlevania already before Trevor and Co. stormed the place. The Castle from CV III already contains the elements of an active creature of chaos so I do believe that everything you mentioned happened before Trevor arrives.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: 1999 Awes