Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anime & Manga Discussion Thread  (Read 24289 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »
Yes, 2 seasons with a open ending, sad that they never finished it. (Also the beggining looks like more a sequel than a first episode, so we have a awesome anime without beggining and ending lol)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
You're Under Arrest!
Is this series good? I've been curious about it for a while. Is one of the main characters transgender or something? Or is that just a one-off "joke" in an episode? I saw that come up when I tried to find some info about the series on youtube. Isn't Guyver the series where they (in one of the live action movies) had Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hammell graphically and painfully transform into a giant evil insect thing? I remember being a little weirded out by that when I happened upon it in the AM while flipping through channels many many moons ago. I seem to remember hearing good things about Dirty Pair and found it has been officially uploaded by Manga Entertainment in the US http://www.youtube.com/user/MANGAentertainment along with several other series including GITS: SAC. Is it worth watching subbed?

Also wow surprised to hear so many people remember Ronin Warriors. I thought it was all but forgotten, or about as close to it as anything that ran on Toonami is liable to get. I'd like to see more of Big O but the prices on the DVDs these days are outrageous. Oh and anyone else like Sherlock Hound? I know there's some Trigun fans around here somewhere. I thought the Read or Die movie was fun but pretty dumb, was there more worth checking out from that title?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:04:32 PM by Ratty »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 10:54:55 PM »
Tried watchign an episode of You're Under Arrest, I couldn't get into it.

Anyway..... Read Sumire 16 sai. So freakin' hilarious. Now I need to find a sub version of the Live Action.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 12:21:06 AM »
Is this series good? I've been curious about it for a while. Is one of the main characters transgender or something? Or is that just a one-off "joke" in an episode? I saw that come up when I tried to find some info about the series on youtube. Isn't Guyver the series where they (in one of the live action movies) had Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hammell graphically and painfully transform into a giant evil insect thing? I remember being a little weirded out by that when I happened upon it in the AM while flipping through channels many many moons ago. I seem to remember hearing good things about Dirty Pair and found it has been officially uploaded by Manga Entertainment in the US http://www.youtube.com/user/MANGAentertainment along with several other series including GITS: SAC. Is it worth watching subbed?

You're Under Arrest is good I found. I enjoyed it for what it was and the stories were good too. It also has it's own humor. The series 'Oh, my Goddes!' is actually a spin-off series of you're under arrest as it takes place in the same universe, but with different people, locations, etc. Well...almost. the monk whom left on a whim in oh my goddess is the same monk in you're under arrest, and stays at the same temple grounds too. Both series' were done by Kōsuke Fujishima so it's kinda mandatory.

And aside from the Guyver anime that I mentioned, there are also two live-action movies that were produced, and yes Mark Hammell was in the first one and he did become an insect Zoanoid of a sort. However the Zoalord explained that he wasn't in the Genemorphasis tank long enough so he quickly died after turning into a zoanoid. The second movie was far better then the first in my opinion. It had the best soundtrack which many would state as 50% of the whole movie. Less Claypool III was the composer and he did an awesome job. Now if only they would release his soundtrack of Guyver 2: Dark Hero... The dirty pair is also a good one to watch. It's got comedy that's expected of the dangerously dynamic duo; Kei and Yuri. There are some stories that take a serious tone but not enough to ruin the whole thing. Give it a shot when you're feeling retro. I watch the dubbed episodes so I'm not sure about the subbed ones.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 02:49:42 AM »
High School of the Dead will have a season 2. Hehehe, so excited.

My first anime.... most likely it would be one of those children's literature types like Princess Sarah, Heidi, The Secret Garden, etc.
Then comes Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z...
More shojo anime like: Magic Knight Rayearth, Card Captor Sakura, X, and other CLAMP creations.
More shonen anime like: Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.
Mecha: Gundam (a lot of them), Escaflowne
Children shows: Pokemon (some episodes/movies occasionally), Monster Rancher, Digimon (4 seasons!)
Other shows: Cyberteam in Akihabara, Trigun, Trinity Blood, Bubblegum Crisis, You're Under Arrest, Oh My Goddess, etc.
In the recent years: Fafner, Heroic Age, Blood+ (I'm so proud of this, I watched it raw!), Kuroshitsuji.
My most recent ones were already listed earlier. Oh yeah, I forgot Sword Art Online.

I would definitely be missing a lot of shows that I can't remember right now. hehehe.  ;D

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »
I will check TWHE when I have a chance, right now I'm very decisive about what to watch next, so perhaps this is when.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 08:26:59 AM »
About halfway through GITS:SAC and it's picked up quite a bit from the somewhat stagnant early episodes. I expected the series to just be a cyberpunk Police Procedural with an on-again off-again main storyline but the episodes have been surprisingly varied and in some cases touching. It's also great hearing Outlaw Star's "Hot Ice" Hilda's VA as the Major since she plays it much more deep and breathy (like Hilda) in SAC than in the movie.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
@Shiroi: Thats the one that I feel I was forgot, Yu Yu Hakusho, it aired along with Saint Seiya. I knew thjat I was forgetting a important mention.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
Tekkaman was my very first anime I watched on TV regularly knowing it was "something special." (By special I mean not US cartoons like Disney's). I gotta find it online so I can watch it again. I keep finding Tekkaman Blade, which I didn't like very much. The first one was just so hardcore (for an American kid that wasn't yet into anime) and it was on Sunday mornings too, if I remember right. Then when I went into the video store when I was 16 or 17 and saw the anime section, I realized that show I'd been watching was part of something grander. The old hand-drawn painted cels anime always makes me feel so damned nostalgic. I always get depressed and sad when I watch classic anime, even if it's supposed to be humorous. I'll laugh and cry at the same time -- laugh at the jokes, cry at the nostalgia. It's really unnerving and probably why I don't watch as much anime these days.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 02:24:35 PM »
New Pokémon Anime - Pokémon: The Origin Official Trailer (Sneak Peek to Mega Charizard?)

is being made by XEBEC, the same people that did this:

Haiyore Nyaruko-san W [Opening]

So it will be good in the animation department :P

Also, I've found some RAW footage from the new Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OVA, without subs. If someone is interested PM me.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 05:04:13 PM »
The old hand-drawn painted cels anime always makes me feel so damned nostalgic.

I know what you mean. Been watching more of Slayers: NEXT (aka Season 2) and man does it ever look like those early episodes of Pokemon. Talk about a flashback. It helps that the loveable comedy villain has the same voice actress as Pokemon's Misty in the english dub.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:17:34 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »
Slayers is very cool, I've watched it on TV yearz ago (not all episodes).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »
Been in a DQ mood like badly and I think I found my favorite pink haired anime girl(Maam  :-*   showing alot of skin especially in the leg area kills me hence why short shorts/spandex/yoga shorts get me very :-[  ) not only that the show is hitting me in all the right ways with the main three characters. The theme is also catching up on me.

Dragon Quest - Dai no Daibouken
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:53:06 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
I remember checking out the Dragon Quest manga a while back. I found it a good read.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »
Woohoo, Fly! :D

Abertura de Fly, o Pequeno Guerreiro

This one isnt a anime but cmon, it was made by Namco! (and have a Speed Racer feel) :P

Pole Position Abertura SBT Remasterizada
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:01:07 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~