Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Season 3  (Read 72367 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2020, 08:24:56 PM »
+1
okay fine no casting into the abyss

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2020, 10:06:58 PM »
+1
After all I've been reading, I don't think I'll finish it.

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2020, 03:32:58 AM »
+1
A small touch this season I did appreciate was the Beelzebub cameo in the priory, complete with flies buzzing about it, as the figure hung upside down at the altar.  Little references in the art has been something I’ve enjoyed while watching.  The Legion one was one of the less subtle, but an interesting way to get in a game nod.  Also aside for some of the slight jerkiness at moments, the art seems to be getting much better with each season, such as the quality of the background art details, and character designs too.  The map details were really good, and if you look closely, it’s labelled as being by S. Stark - one of the animator guys, who also shows up as part of Legion.  I also keep thinking that Carmilla’s castle resembles the castle in LoS. A small detail I discovered this evening is that Lindenfeld is a real place in Romania.  It’s a now abandoned town that was a German colony town established in the 19th century.
Yeah man, those are highlights of the season IMO.
(click to show/hide)

At this point I've made piece with the series being a GoT with a Castlevania resking, but someone should put Ellis at gunpoint and make him study the games somewhat.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 03:40:32 AM by Holy Diver »
Gotta get away

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2020, 10:39:37 AM »
+1
Whereas that’s the bit I didn’t like at all.  It felt very dubious on the consents best, which is not ok.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2020, 11:51:17 AM »
+1
I think that most of the points mentioned are quite relative, but personally i didn't find them bad, which is why i didn't "concede" anything. You're allowed to your own opinion though

Regarding Alucard and baby vampire skull: again, i think he's projecting. Vampires have been portrayed as bad but he did have a good childhood and Drac apparently did behave then, so he's probably thinking something along the lines of "if the Belmonts had been in full force then they might have whipped my ass and added my polished skull here regardless of how we lived" so his reaction does kinda make sense.

Regarding Dracula's "personality change": allow me to remind you that grief has several stages with anger being the common second reaction after denial. Depression comes after anger (and bargaining)

What am I supposed to believe here? Alucard would have jumped in bed with Trevor and Sypha if they let him? Is that what those dolls are for?

As he points out, he's going mad of loneliness. I supose that before he had his parents but besides them, he didn't have friends to truly know and "suffer" the consequences of being completely alone (he sealed himself to sleep after Lisa's death to top it off). While the answer to your question is "who knows", at the start of S3 he was emotionally weak and he craved close relationships, which could easily include sexual relationships.

Yeah while I like what they did with Isaac, the way his movement progresses is absolutely ridiculous.
>roll up to a town with hellspawn
>get turned away by guards who have no interest in having that shit marauding through their town
>HUMANS R BAD AND MEAN BECAUSE THEY DIDNT LET ME THROUGH

it would have MUCH better serviced his philosophy if he was instead befriended by people who later betray him, which cements his view that humans are evil and those acts of kindess are flukes.

I think the point was to showcase that while Isaac isn't fully wrong, he's far from right (and sane) as well.

I also keep thinking that Carmilla’s castle resembles the castle in LoS. A small detail I discovered this evening is that Lindenfeld is a real place in Romania.  It’s a now abandoned town that was a German colony town established in the 19th century.

it looks like if the LoS castle had a baby with Quel'thalas from WoW

Whereas that’s the bit I didn’t like at all.  It felt very dubious on the consents best, which is not ok.

While the twins behavior can probably considered predatorial, considering his emotional state, I don't think it was dubious consent all, he clearly was into it. However the scene is framed and scored to make US feel wrong, to build tension for the betrayals. (Just like in Hector's case)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:44:16 PM by SecretWeapon »

Offline wiseman

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »
+1
I feel like that was the point. The whole score and framing of the scene was meant to communicate that something bad is happening.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2020, 06:00:25 PM »
+1
Yes, he responded somewhat, but the way that the tear ran down his cheek along with the way that he was pinned down is exactly what made the consent so dubious.  Given his mental well-being as well that further makes the consent given explicitly.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2020, 11:41:17 PM »
+1
Is that Alucard who throws St. Germaine the amulet, and who he loves? Seems like it..

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2020, 05:04:05 AM »
The different worlds San German had glimpses of were pretty bizarre. I wonder if any of those mean anything, or if they were just random

Overall, while there are some issues here n there with the narrative, I’m glad that this Castlevania “anime” exists, as it’s allowing for actual discussion again. Like AlexCalvo said, I too am somewhat bewildered that some of you are of the mindset of “I’d rather have nothing Castlevania-related at all than watch this travesty!” Even though none of you literally said those words, that’s the sentiment I am getting while reading some of your opinions

I specifically enjoyed the scene where Isaac was conversing with the “demon with the eyes.” We rarely if ever get to hear THEIR side of the story, so I liked that. In my opinion, he was leaving out an important part to why he was damned to Hell just for “being a philosopher goes against God.” When he was human he probably raped women or was a pedophile, who knows. I like how it made me speculate on what the truth could really be
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:32:29 AM by crisis »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »
+1
The different worlds San German had glimpses of were pretty bizarre. I wonder if any of those mean anything, or if they were just random

Overall, while there are some issues here n there with the narrative, I’m glad that this Castlevania “anime” exists, as it’s allowing for actual discussion again. Like AlexCalvo said, I too am somewhat bewildered that some of you are of the mindset of “I’d rather have nothing Castlevania-related at all than watch this travesty!” Even though none of you literally said those words, that’s the sentiment I am getting while reading some of your opinions

I specifically enjoyed the scene where Isaac was conversing with the “demon with the eyes.” We rarely if ever get to hear THEIR side of the story, so I liked that. In my opinion, he was leaving out an important part to why he was damned to Hell just for “being a philosopher goes against God.” When he was human he probably raped women or was a pedophile, who knows. I like how it made me speculate on what the truth could really be

I got the idea that he went to hell for giving away the other people.  The comment about the world being crazy was about how he did what he was forced to do by the people claiming he'd go to hell, then went to hell for doing what they told him to do.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2020, 08:15:07 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Anyone else think that St. Germain’s lost companion could essentially be a gender swapped Aeon?  Aha the strange things that pop into a fan’s head sometimes.

Overall, I was very satisfied with the way the season turned out, however many tragedies might have been in it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:30:12 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2020, 09:41:43 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Anyone else think that St. Germain’s lost companion could essentially be a gender swapped Aeon?  Aha the strange things that pop into a fan’s head sometimes.

Overall, I was very satisfied with the way the season turned out, however many tragedies might have been in it.

I thought exactly that.  Before we saw that it was a woman he was looking for I thought it was just going to be (pseudo)regular Aeon.  But honestly...  Warren Ellis doesn't care enough about the lore of the games to do something like that.  It will either be an original character, or someone from the historical Saint Germaine's life.  The character is much more based on him than the Castlevania version.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2020, 04:34:01 AM »
+1
Could all of the terrible things that transpired in Season 3 be attributed to Dracula’s Curse, or was it all just a sad commentary on human nature?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2020, 07:29:33 AM »
+2
Could all of the terrible things that transpired in Season 3 be attributed to Dracula’s Curse, or was it all just a sad commentary on human nature?

Warren Ellis is the edgiest of edgelords, so it's the latter.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2020, 08:12:03 AM »
+3
The season could’ve been shorter than it was, like 7 or 8 episodes. Like others have said, a bit too much exposition & dialogue. Although I enjoyed the character development, a lot of times I kept saying to myself “okay get on with it already” and move on to the next scene. But I understand they’re trying to showcase the “in-between” time after Dracula’s defeat; the games cut right to the chase, Dracula is revived, Belmont/a new protagonist steps to kill him, the end. But what about after? The games never explore that, so that’s what this series is trying to do.

They just need to work on the pacing issues between the downtime & action, and we should be okay moving forward

Tags: