Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1845959 times)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #5430 on: March 17, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »
+1
It also had typical mash buttons Metroidvania combat
Lol.

>OoE
>Button mashing
>Ignore LoS button mashing and QTE galore.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #5431 on: March 17, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »
Lol.

>OoE
>Button mashing
>Ignore LoS button mashing and QTE galore.

Are you telling me OoE's combat didn't boil down to "XYXYXYXYXYXYXYXYXYXYXYX"?

Well do you consider OoE a bad game worthy of a 2.0 out of 10 score? Did you enjoy it more than PoR? Do you find the graphics better than PoR's?

For many, OoE did a lot of things right than it did wrong; where PoR made use of a lot of decade-old sprites & the like, OoE made entirely new ones. OoE's pacing is a lot different and better than PoR's, according to some people. The artstyle in OoE is a lot more appropriate for Castlevania than PoR's. The boss-fights were more exciting & engaging than PoR's. The narrative and script was more refreshing than PoR's "Saturday-morning cartoon" approach.

Things like that is what makes people consider OoE a "step in the right direction." At least from my understanding. It's entirely subjective but those aspects I listed seem to be the most common from what I've read over the years.

No, I'd probably give OoE a 6.5-7.0, and, as a game, I enjoyed PoR more.

I agree, the artstyle in OoE is way better than PoR, heck, out of the IGA timeline it's probably the best.

The story was nothing to write home about, but yes, it was better than PoR.

I can see it's merits, but as a game, IMO, it falls incredibly flat. Not bad, but flat.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:36:11 PM by e105beta »

Offline Heuss

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5432 on: March 17, 2013, 06:35:10 PM »
MOF is a game minimum of 08/10

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5433 on: March 17, 2013, 06:35:36 PM »
+4
Regarding OoE improvements:

Combat wasn't centered around finding the next best weapon every 3 rooms. You had three levels of standard melee weapons, and a host of 'spell' style weapons. While this did limit the variety on the melee, which I didn't like, it made up for it by including the spell like moves.

Battles were faster paced, with the attack chaining system, and to balance it, the MP bar being used for attacks. Along with the infinite backdash cancel, battle maneuvers were increased. They even forced you to use the drop kick move to completely avoid one of Barlowe's attacks. It but a lot more thought into combat and bosses.

The difficulty was back, reminiscent of the old standards. Leveling didn't feel over powered. It still took great skill to win boss battles.

A little more action in the platforming. Not as much as I would have liked, but the Magnus glyph was used in a few nice ways during boss battles and some areas like the Clock Tower.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #5434 on: March 17, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
Regarding OoE improvements:

Combat wasn't centered around finding the next best weapon every 3 rooms. You had three levels of standard melee weapons, and a host of 'spell' style weapons. While this did limit the variety on the melee, which I didn't like, it made up for it by including the spell like moves.

Battles were faster paced, with the attack chaining system, and to balance it, the MP bar being used for attacks. Along with the infinite backdash cancel, battle maneuvers were increased. They even forced you to use the drop kick move to completely avoid one of Barlowe's attacks. It but a lot more thought into combat and bosses.

The difficulty was back, reminiscent of the old standards. Leveling didn't feel over powered. It still took great skill to win boss battles.

A little more action in the platforming. Not as much as I would have liked, but the Magnus glyph was used in a few nice ways during boss battles and some areas like the Clock Tower.

I can't agree on the combat outside of the bosses. It was more of the old "run through rooms, hit the buttons as fast as you can, occasionally jump" that plagued the older Metroidvania games, and it only got worse after you found one of the more powerful spells, i.e. Ignis. Granted, melee required more positioning, but melee was arguably bad outside of its super combos with spell moves.

The bosses though, I appreciated those. Getting to each next boss was definitely the highlight for me, and liked how, outside of a couple abusive strategies, there was no real way to say "alright, I can't win this, time to go farm".

That's actually the thing that disappointed me the most about SotN as I was playing it yesterday. The bosses just...melt, and most beyond the first five or so feel like they were designed as space fillers (which they probably were)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:54:28 PM by e105beta »

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #5435 on: March 17, 2013, 07:23:41 PM »
Are you telling me OoE's combat didn't boil down to "XYXYXYXYXYXYXYXYXYXYXYX"?
Are you telling me LoS combat didn't boil down to "SquareTriangleSquareSquareTriangleSquar eSquareSquareTriangle"?
Are you telling me Castlevania didn't boild down to "YYYYBYYYYYBYBYYYYYYYYYY

Super stupid post eh?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:26:20 PM by Maedhros »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5436 on: March 17, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »
Are you telling me OoE's combat didn't boil down to "SquareXSquareSquareXSquareSquareSquareX"?

Super stupid post eh?

Yours? Yeah, it is.

So much for online civility.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5437 on: March 17, 2013, 07:27:49 PM »
Yours? Yeah, it is.

So much for online civility.
I know that you love LoS, that's cute and all... just don't try to explain things you clearly don't know shit about.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5438 on: March 17, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »
+1
MOM

DAD

STOP FIGHTING ON MY BIRTHDAY

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5439 on: March 17, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »
+2
I know that you love LoS, that's cute and all... just don't try to explain things you clearly don't know shit about.

Ugh, I'll just come back when more info about LoS2 gets leaked.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5440 on: March 17, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
Are you telling me LoS combat didn't boil down to "SquareTriangleSquareSquareTriangleSquar eSquareSquareTriangle"?
Are you telling me Castlevania didn't boild down to "YYYYBYYYYYBYBYYYYYYYYYY

Super stupid post eh?

IIRC I do press X and Y alot but then again which action game does not :P

You know what I like both but the LoS verse does not have a single female to play as what the hey.

Also dat 2d back Shanoa has  8)

uhh why are you guys giving minus to beta?

The hell did I do? Why am I getting negs   :(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:02:37 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5441 on: March 17, 2013, 08:02:56 PM »

You know what I like both but the LoS verse does not have a single female to play as what the hey.

I think disliking OoE is a crime punishible by...

DEATH!!!!!!
by downvotes

EDIT: Image was relevant, but a bit big, and I think most of the humor was lost on this crowd.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:47:48 PM by e105beta »

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5442 on: March 17, 2013, 08:04:17 PM »

Your first line is exactly what I'm talking about. He's trying to simplify the concept of the game to button mashing. We can do that to any game if we want.
Uzo's post shows what OoE's innovations in combat are. It's a much better combat system than any of the previous Castlevania games.

I'm giving minus because I don't agree with his posts and think they are bullshit.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5443 on: March 17, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
But... ahh. my head.. Person who did it come out and state why you did it. Do not be an super alpha omega subterranean albino buttnoid.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5444 on: March 17, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »
+3
Last I remember, in OoE, my attacks had Y, R(switch), X(other hand), A(charge attack), plus combinations of UP and DOWN.  And I can stop my combos at any time 'cuz they weren't combos at all, and jump and dodge as I please.  And I can activate an ability with L (I think) like Volaticus, etc. and add to the combination of things to do.

If you played OoE just mashing Y and X, either you're lying by dumbing down the actions for dramatic effect, or you don't know how to play.

In Mirror of Fate, the characters cannot crouch and use A for the SubWeapon.  You're also stuck in your combo because the combos are forced.  If you started the combo and the enemy started attacking, well tough cookies you're about to take a hit and that's the bottom line.
Pound for Pound you're far more limited to what you can do.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: .....? 

anything