Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1843569 times)

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #5475 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:32 AM »
Awesomeness

I do share lots of points with you. more like 95% agree.

I dont wanna sound harsh but... Other stuff I would add to the critics is that moving from room to room was painful and tedious. Warp points badly placed that hardly did anything to help moving faster even advanced later in the game. This striked me when I was searching for everything 100%, and thats my other point. There is no sense in map filling/exploring if what you are going to get is exp.points for... COMBOS? Also room design: Its good and all but it felt like you should "empty" each room before moving on. Donkey kong Country 64 completion came to mind.

Too few bosses and enemies.

IMO the game feels incomplete, or a very side project, like a cellphone game spin off. Dont take it bad, but after what LoS 1 HAVE to offer (even me dont liking LoS1)...

(click to show/hide)
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5476 on: March 20, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »
+1
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #5477 on: March 20, 2013, 10:47:24 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Exactly.

Off Topic: Nothing on the OST rip? Come on peeps, its like 11 songs XD
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5478 on: March 20, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
+2
(click to show/hide)

Another reason why the writing in these games is really, really bad. Who made the mirror and why? Why is it in the castle?

While we're talking about the writing, is anybody else confused about Gabula's motivation? Why is he mad at the Brotherhood? Wouldn't it make more sense to be mad at Zobek and Satan? I mean, they manipulated him into killing his wife and stuff. Wasn't Gabriel also preaching to Satan about how important it is to forgive or something? I guess he kind of forgot about that.   

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5479 on: March 20, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
I think it could be something like, "You guys led me down the wrong path" deal, after putting his trust in them all his life? Maybe he feels they're responsible for everything (they kinda are, but they simply chose the lesser of 2 evils, like Cox tweeted [paraphrasing], "Satan fulfills his plan and the world is ruled by him, or Gabriel defeats Satan but becomes a powerful vampire"). I guess kinda like in The Dark Knight, Maroni tells Two-Face "why aren't you after The Joker? He made you like this," to which Two-Face replies, "The Joker is just a mad dog. I want whoever let him off the leash." The Brotherhood was responsible for the Lords of Shadow's creation, thus creating Zobek, etc. In his blind rage Dracula holds the Brotherhood responsible, despite Zobek & Satan's manipulations.

And yes, after his "grand speech of love & forgiveness" he gave to Satan, he is now contradicting himself. lol
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:37:31 AM by crisis »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5480 on: March 20, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »
+2
Because as far as Gabe knows, Zobek and Satan both got theirs already. Zobek was incinerated by Satan, he kicked the crap out of Satan and sent him back to hell with his ass handed to him. Once he had fulfilled his duty to the Order and revenge against those he perceived to have been responsible, and mourned the loss of his wife and the fact that he had not been able to bring her back after all, Suddenly, He is faced with unintentionally having weakened the seal on an ancient demon the Founders originally imprisoned in an alternate dimension within the Bernhard Castle. The only way to enter the realm and combat it? Become a vampire. Essentially, become one of the monsters he hunted. Fulfill Carmilla's prediciction that he would be one of them eventually. The as he traversed the Forgotten One's domain, he just lost his Humanity and was pushed over the edge by his grief and rage.

Like Trevor said. Gabriel fully embraced his destiny, and was given a bad end for it. He took the fall from grace despite accepting his mission and duty.

The Brotherhood, Pan, and Marie fully knew what was going to happen, yet they allowed the farce to go on, lying to him every step of the way so everything would go as planned and he would end up defeating Satan, and afterwards the forgotten one. He feels like he was betrayed, and he really was. To the brotherhood, he was collateral damage. They sacrificed him for the greater good, so they could just deal with him later.

TL;DR, he realized the Lords of Shadow were right and that the order betrayed him and sacrificed him. He killed his wife, an innocent lone survivor, her protector, the founders of his own order, and for it suffered psychological torment and scarring, all for a mission he was lied to about.

So while yeah, he did give Satan a speech about forgiveness, he was desperately trying to hold on to his sanity by that point. He's traumatized and scarred by his ordeal to that point. Not being able to revive his wife, and losing his Humanity and gaining superb demonic powers pushed him over the edge.

Like they say, You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:09:39 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5481 on: March 20, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
+1
How did Gabriel know that the Brotherhood knew what was going to happen, though? I still find it very unreasonable of him to hate them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:41:41 PM by Nagumo »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5482 on: March 20, 2013, 02:20:16 PM »
+1
My LoS is rusty, but It's likely the way that the Lords along the way taunted him and told him how he was lied to, and how he was on a fool's errand etc etc, Gabe was told, that the Lords of Shadow were the ones causing the separation of the Earth and the Heavens. He was assisted by Zobek. he saw an image in his mind of himself killing his wife, and Pan shrugged it off. I suppose he just realized the lie. I mean, even Marie and her ghost went along with the lie. In the end it was all about Satan, and Zobek was the final Lord of Shadow, who had been manipulating Gabriel along the way.

Context clues I suppose. He eventually picked up on it all once Zobek revealed himself and Satan popped out.

he evntually realized the Lords of Shadows were essentially inconsequential to Satan. They were horrible monsters, yes, but were not responsible for the spell. Zobek and Satan were. And Zobek just wanted Gabe to kill and take their power not to become a powerful soldier of God, but so he could take the God Mask, an idea which was implemented into Zobek's brain by Satan, who wanted it for himself.

Oooor, he is just filled with anger and rage, and upon becoming a Vampire, he feels he was cheated by the brotherhood, having sacrificed himself and gotten nothing in return other than pain and misery. Being a Vampire does funny things to your brain I suppose. 'Specially when you are already unstable and mentally scarred.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:22:16 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5483 on: March 20, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
+2

I wonder why this game is called "Mirror of Fate" at all. Maybe I didn't pay attention too much, but the game isn't really about no mirror at all. The "Lords of Shadow" subtitle seems wrong too, because that's the story from the first game only. I understand it's to tie the game to the storyline, but... dunno. The "lords" storyline is sort of over and done with. Lords of Shadow should've simply been called "Castlevania", and then Mirror of Fate should've been... dunno... something about Generations or Belmonts or Bloodlines or something.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5484 on: March 20, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »
+1
Resident Evil isn't about houses anymore too and it still works for me, even if it doesnt make any sense.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #5485 on: March 20, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
I wonder why this game is called "Mirror of Fate" at all. Maybe I didn't pay attention too much, but the game isn't really about no mirror at all. The "Lords of Shadow" subtitle seems wrong too, because that's the story from the first game only. I understand it's to tie the game to the storyline, but... dunno. The "lords" storyline is sort of over and done with. Lords of Shadow should've simply been called "Castlevania", and then Mirror of Fate should've been... dunno... something about Generations or Belmonts or Bloodlines or something.
The Mirror one I don't know... but Lords of Shadow is there to identify the timeline we're talking about. He clearly wants to have these games completely separeted from the originals.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #5486 on: March 20, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »
How did Gabriel know that the Brotherhood knew what was going to happen, though? I still find it very unreasonable of him to hate them.
It's the most reasonable thing. They knew EVERYTHING, from Zobek to Satan to EVERYTHING. They willingly sacrificed Marie, Laura, Claudia and lots of people in the proccess. We know their motivation but Habriel doesn't, or perhaps he does, but he thinks it's not fair, not to him. Why does he know? The mirror.

Everything comes full circle

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5487 on: March 20, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »
+1
Alright, I will explain - or try to. I haven't played MoF yet, I am actually going to be picking it up in a few weeks - but I have watched the entire play through of it, simply because I wanted to know the story. To people who don't understand what is exactly is going on from the first LoS, to this one, which leads hints to LoS2. KEEP in mind that a lot of the things that are unnoticed are in fact from the previous time line. Even though this is a reboot, pay attention carefully - to fully understand LoS you must understand the old series from the NES days all the way up to the DS titles.

A. Gabriel is bitten by 2 demonic Vampire's from the Abyss; He then takes the blood of Laura (the same blood of the Dark Lady.)  "You will know pain, -my- Gabriel." due to her purity, and her (laura) being young, this was the 'blood of the innocent' and with her being a child, even though a vampire and with the blood of the queen, she is more powerful that Carmillia.  If no one can make sense of it - Laura is in fact the daughter of Gandoffi, its obvious because of the relics and the path that is laid out before Gabriel as he acquires these relics that lead to the demon castle.

"You are betrayed, there is no resurrection, only this living death you see before you!" - the Dark Lady

1. It was never about the God Mask. Listen very carefully to what Zobek meant by "Rule the world, destroy the universe and challenge God himself."  and also what he meant by "Reap the whirlwinds scions of death, for here comes the Prince of Darkness."

2. The Gauntlet (Black Knight) - This is in reality, the power of "Death/Zobek", in the ending dialogue, listen to him carefully. "I fought demons and became stronger until a powerful force entered me so vast and terrible." The Gauntlet is actually the "power" of dominion, the ability to rule over all (as said from AoS/DoS) it was then by slaying TFO he (Gabe/Dracul) became the Prince of Darkness.

Hence the old Richter quote "You steal men's souls and make them your slaves." Also, notice how Simon was controlled easily by Dracula.

If you pay attention to the original LoS Gabe is absorbing all sorts of crap with it through out the game.

2. The Mirror "The Dark Lady Watches over you." - Orlox. The three Dark Lords all saw the forecoming of Gabriel through this mirror. After Carmilla is defeated and Pan again tries to riddle Gabriel, look very carefully at the mirror just as he walks through, you will see Gabriel dressed as Dracula. He saw his fate before he stepped into the mirror.

Now, as what Zobek said at the beginning of the game "Darkness has come to claim once proud humanity and we are wittnessing the end of man kind."

There are two Princes of Darkness...

Gabriel and Satan, only one can co-exist.

the Demon Castle - the is the 'Castle' of Hell, the very throne itself in which Gabriel sits upon is Satan's true throne, his "hell" on earth.

My speculation? ---

Gabriel is going to over throw Satan; God is going to be destroyed

Humanity is at the end.

Dracula resurrects every 100 years according to Cox, in the old CV time line, when Dracula resurrected he "had' No memory. Satan resurrects every 1,000 years. Who is the real threat?

The whole purpose is that the Mirror is what destroyed the Belmont clan, led to Gabriel's fall. The only people who did not lie to Gabriel had been the two Dark Lords.  Also,

Another thing...

Boba-Yaga - if you see the ending (true ending of LoS) you will see her stalking Zobek. Baba was the only one to 'defeat' death, and she in her true lore stepped through a "Mirror of Fate".

The Toymaker? That is in reality Gandoffi, not his apprentice.

if there is anything else I can think of, I will try to write it down and let you guys know later.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5488 on: March 20, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
+2
look very carefully at the mirror just as he walks through, you will see Gabriel dressed as Dracula.

I'm not seein' it.

I'm lookin', but I don't see it. I just see Gabe's reflection, not Dracul's. Including the Combat Cross at the side.

On the LoS naming- you could consider Gabe a Lord of Shadow. he essentially became Carmilla. (minus the boobs)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:41:51 PM by Flame »

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5489 on: March 20, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
+1
You see it, right as soon before he steps through the mirror, but only briefly, you have to look fast. I may look again and have to correct myself. I will admit to my errors if I am wrong on that - but I swore I saw him in that exact trench coat before he stepped through the mirror, or maybe I am imagining it.  ^^;

Tags: .....?