Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1821525 times)

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Mirror of Fate ( 3DS per request )
« Reply #735 on: May 22, 2012, 05:50:54 PM »
May 22, 2012, 05:50:54 PM - Hidden.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #736 on: May 22, 2012, 05:55:28 PM »
Castlevania never had an history in the first place. Unless you count the manuals and the titles screens as "history". Then Sonic has a big history too.

Franchises like Castlevania, Megaman, Sonic, Mario... they were NEVER meant to be played because of their stories. They were kept simple for a reason.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:00:49 PM by Maedhros »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #737 on: May 22, 2012, 06:02:23 PM »
You know what it is? I grew up with the series since the original on the NES and seeing it take so many bad turns, mostly because of Iga, really aggravates me. This series has had so much wasted potential since the beginning.

I actually enjoy Iga's games. It's his story telling that I despise. I feel story lines are very important.

Storylines ARE important, and going forward I would love to see some great story telling from the series. But in series that has never HAD good storytelling, it's not exactly a fair accusation.

Not to say that I LIKE IGA's storytelling, and I'm assuming we probably agree on things like anime art direction, Soma being an arguably unsatisfying finish to the Dracula timeline, and too many side stories, but like I said, what's done is done. Our time would probably be a lot better spent with hope for the future rather than rants about the past.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #738 on: May 22, 2012, 06:05:57 PM »
Castlevania never had an history in the first place. Unless you count the manuals and the titles screens as "history". Them Sonic has a big history too.

Franchises like Castlevania, Megaman, Sonic, Mario... they were NEVER meant to be played because of their stories. They were kept simple for a reason.

Sure, Castlevania had a history. A family of vampire hunters, using a whip, go on a journey to defeat Dracula every hundred years. Maybe in the beginning these games weren't meant to be played for their stories but games, like everything else, evolve. What's wrong with wanting a good story in a form of entertainment?

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #739 on: May 22, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »
Alright, now that I went through all the posts...which I may have missed something because I started skimming through some of the pages. So let me see if I understood all this cause this was a lot of information to take in:

Rumors:
Possibly Alucard and/or Trevor in the game?
Sidescrolling
Non-linear
2D game?
Some wolf poster (which is part of a bigger poster) possibly being related to this game (possibly being Alucard?)

Comfirmed:
Official title - Mirror of Fate (was Faith the last time I was on here)
3DS game
Developer unknown

To be honest, it doesn't sound that bad so far. However, this really isn't enough information to say much yet, of course. However..I'm actually excited now instead of hesitant about this game. I may not have liked LoS, but I'm pretty excited of MoF as of right now.

Especially if all of this is true, then I'm kind of excited:
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/05/21/its-time-to-share-the-wii-u3ds-game-that-paul-gale-network-hinted-at-2011s-final-hour-castlevania-mirror-of-fate/

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #740 on: May 22, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »
+1
I sometimes wish that Castlevania would've kept things really simple, story-wise, like in the old days. There's a fantastic atmosphere in games like Super Castlevania 4 because the game is so mysterious and "low-key" (dunno if that's the word I'm looking for here).

There are modern games like Demon's/Dark Souls that handle storytelling in a very satisfying way (IMO) because they're so damn mysterious. Castlevania could've stayed like that - silent, eerie and mysterious - but it kind of went in the opposite direction instead. But I don't really mind it. I play 100% for the gameplay, and the story is always at least passable. I think IGA had great intentions with his storytelling, trying to make Castlevania more than what it once was. I don't blame him even though I sometimes wish he'd done things differently.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: May 22, 2012, 06:18:36 PM »
You know our rumor source website called 4chan.....has an error message when I try to go to it now...WHAT'S THE DEAL?!

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #742 on: May 22, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »
+2
I sometimes wish that Castlevania would've kept things really simple, story-wise, like in the old days. There's a fantastic atmosphere in games like Super Castlevania 4 because the game is so mysterious and "low-key" (dunno if that's the word I'm looking for here).

There are modern games like Demon's/Dark Souls that handle storytelling in a very satisfying way (IMO) because they're so damn mysterious. Castlevania could've stayed like that - silent, eerie and mysterious - but it kind of went in the opposite direction instead. But I don't really mind it. I play 100% for the gameplay, and the story is always at least passable. I think IGA had great intentions with his storytelling, trying to make Castlevania more than what it once was. I don't blame him even though I sometimes wish he'd done things differently.
I love Demons/Dark Souls. It reminds me of CV a lot more than LoS actually, specially the monsters and how the story is very simple. The difficult is fair too, just like the first Castlevania.

Offline Keldor

• Hunter in Training
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #743 on: May 22, 2012, 06:27:43 PM »
Finally something to look forward too in the world of vania. I feel like I've been lost in a desert and dying of thirst, I just found an almost empty canteen and got a few drops of refreshing water out of it........too much?
Bnl4life

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #744 on: May 22, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »
May 22, 2012, 06:30:33 PM - Hidden.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #745 on: May 22, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »
+2
I love Demons/Dark Souls. It reminds me of CV a lot more than LoS actually, specially the monsters and how the story is very simple. The difficult is fair too, just like the first Castlevania.

I actually screamed "THIS IS NOT FAIR!!" when I was killed for the 1000th time in Blight Town, Dark Souls, lol! But I agree, these games are difficult mostly because the player is not skilled enough yet, much like the original Castlevania.
Another thing I loved about both games were the level design. Some of the environments feels like "real" places, to the point where I forgot I was even playing a game. I was THERE.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #746 on: May 22, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »
Thomas Belmont, I totally agree with your points and I stated them here many times before. But, as time has proved, people who approach so "beloved" IGAvanias with legal criticism will not find an understanding here. We will be trolled and insolently insulted as if we dared to commit an atrocious sin of pointing an obvious flaws that people tend ignore because of their commitment to those games. Such is the way of the "fans".
Don't mind them. Let them exist in their reality where flaws doesn't matter. It doesn't change the fact that those flaws do exist. Some people accept them, some do not.

Hey, at least we have each other! 8)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #747 on: May 22, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »
+8
Thomas Belmont, I totally agree with your points and I stated them here many times before. But, as time has proved, people who approach so "beloved" IGAvanias with legal criticism will not find an understanding here. We will be trolled and insolently insulted as if we dared to commit an atrocious sin of pointing an obvious flaws that people tend ignore because of their commitment to those games. Such is the way of the "fans".
Don't mind them. Let them exist in their reality where flaws doesn't matter. It doesn't change the fact that those flaws do exist. Some people accept them, some do not.

I am disturbed about the way you talk about the forum populace, and I don't think that what you're saying helps the situation at all.
It's like "Don't mind these people, they are morons.  But we tolerate them because we're higher beings.  **adjusts monocle**".

Then again, perhaps I'm misconstruing your tone, but considering you're the one with the "Watched" status, maybe I'm on to something.

I will advise everyone who employs these tactics to curb that behavior.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #748 on: May 22, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »
I am disturbed about the way you talk about the forum populace, and I don't think that what you're saying helps the situation at all.
It's like "Don't mind these people, they are morons.  But we tolerate them because we're higher beings.  **adjusts monocle**".

Then again, perhaps I'm misconstruing your tone, but considering you're the one with the "Watched" status, maybe I'm on to something.

I will advise everyone who employs these tactics to curb that behavior.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #749 on: May 22, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
+5

Or maybe it works both ways? I've been trolled for liking IGA games in the past, much like you've been trolled for disliking them. What's the difference? Example; I love Dawn of Sorrow. Many people have been telling me that the game is seriously flawed. What am I supposed to do with that information? I mean, I still love it. People can accuse me of having bad taste in video games, I don't mind that, but certainly not that I am wrong for liking it, which has been the case a few times.

Well well. Enough of this.

Tags: .....?