Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1833496 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #5611 on: April 18, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
Its a good or bad number? I think its very bad but Im not sure.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5612 on: April 18, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »

It sold worse than Order of Ecclesia, which also didn't sell well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5613 on: April 18, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »
MS will say that its 3DS fault and that almost no one have onem or something like that. I expect to be wrong, since it would be cheesy.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5614 on: April 18, 2013, 08:43:51 PM »

It sold less than probably any other portable Castlevania release to date.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #5615 on: April 18, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »
And this is where my doubt turns into fear for the future of the portable Castlevania games.
Will this mean back to the old formula? Or the end of portable CVs?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5616 on: April 18, 2013, 10:45:11 PM »
Personally, I feel it's a combination of problems. One, the 3DS is still relatively new, and it's somewhat underwhelming current library means not everyone has one. Second, MoF tried to be an HD Home Console quality game, on a handheld one. It was made in HD and "scaled down" third, it tried too hard to pander to the people who complained about the first one. As a result, it feels... strange. there were some strange gameplay and design choices. (collectible monster bios for one...)

Also, it just feels disjointed due to the reverse story. it should have been a console game, and it would most likely have been a completely different game, most likely more like LoS1, meaning no 2D gameplay. And that probably would have been for the better, since LoS' gameplay doesn't quite translate well to 2D. It was really kind of forced.

As far as "no more handheld CV's" Im honestly not too bothered by that prospect. Castlevania has been relegated to Handhelds for around a decade. With console attempts usually falling short or just failing.

Now that we've had a successful Console game... And an unsuccessful handheld, maybe it will give Konami the impression that they need to shoot for more console games with Castlevania as opposed to handheld. And that's probably what the franchise needs. To finally re-establish itself as a console series, not just portable handheld adventures.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #5617 on: April 19, 2013, 01:09:59 AM »
I agree with some of your points. But there's also another side to that. We may never receive another 2D sprite-based game (or 2.5D for the matter), be it MetroidVania or ClassicVania. That also makes me worry about the future.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5618 on: April 19, 2013, 01:19:14 AM »
I agree with some of your points. But there's also another side to that. We may never receive another 2D sprite-based game (or 2.5D for the matter), be it MetroidVania or ClassicVania. That also makes me worry about the future.

I am also worried about this. I would like another 2D sprite vania, but maybe the future is not too kind for sprite based games.

Now that we've had a successful Console game... And an unsuccessful handheld, maybe it will give Konami the impression that they need to shoot for more console games with Castlevania as opposed to handheld. And that's probably what the franchise needs. To finally re-establish itself as a console series, not just portable handheld adventures.

This I agree with, but wouldn't it be best if Castlevania has a two pronged approach: one for consoles and another for handhelds? They could have two different teams to do those games.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5619 on: April 19, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »
I'm not surprised, since their marketing sucks.

there were some strange gameplay and design choices. (collectible monster bios for one...)

Well, i find this one very cool and not a bad or weird game choice.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5620 on: April 19, 2013, 02:00:51 AM »
Quote from: Shiroi Koumori link=topic=4949.msg131520#msg131520
wouldn't it be best if Castlevania has a two pronged approach: one for consoles and another for handhelds? They could have two different teams to do those games.
THAT.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:22:19 PM by Pfil »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5621 on: April 19, 2013, 02:19:05 AM »
It sold less than probably any other portable Castlevania release to date.

wait a minute even less than castlevania the adventure and the other gb titles ?
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #5622 on: April 19, 2013, 02:20:40 AM »
wait a minute even less than castlevania the adventure and the other gb titles ?

Do we have the numbers for those old titles?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #5623 on: April 19, 2013, 04:30:52 AM »
That is exactly what I'm concerned about. No more handhelds I can live with, but no more 2D gameplay games is something that worries me to death. My heart shudders to think of the possibility. The fear is cemented in that I cannot shake the fear that Konami will just blindly determine that the only reason MoF failed is that it is 2D gameplay and not 3D.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5624 on: April 19, 2013, 07:37:10 AM »
I'll put that here.

Ruler of Chaos

Tags: .....?