Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How do you deal with being prejudiced against?  (Read 22162 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: How do you deal with being prejudiced against?
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2011, 01:07:05 AM »
Personally I don't follow any religion of any kind as I prefer spirituality. I don't mean to go off-topic here but I think I should show you what I've discovered. Apparently these are the original ten commandments before man's ego stepped in and f@#ked it up.

1. Thou shalt worship no other God.
2. Thou shalt make thee no molten Gods.
3. The feast of unleavened bread thou shalt keep.
4. Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shall rest.
5. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of gathering at year's end.
6. Thrice in a year shall all your men children appear before the lord God.
7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.
8. Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of passover be left unto morning.
9. The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.
10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid [ie, a young goat] in his mother's milk.

Paints a very different picture then what we were given in the end, doesn't it? This form of the commandments are a lot less strict on humanity then the other set of commandments will ever be.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2011, 03:24:52 AM »
Hmm...well, again, Jorgey and the other mods here don't really like big religious debates and stuff. If they want me to shut up, I'll happily do so, and I apologize for skirting the rules. If not, though, I hope I haven't said anything too out of the way, and given the reactions of the other people in the thread I think it's safe to assume I haven't...

"It's just not. The same. At all."

It's not exactly the same, it's just irrational for different reasons.

"And people always say the same thing: "Well, not ALL (insert religion here) people are like that."  So really there is no such thing as a xtian, or a muslim for that matter, because they all cherry pick which rules they want to deem as viable and which ones to ignore."

Arguably true, but this makes "hating xtians" or whatever irrational. If there's really no such thing as True Christian or True Muslim, how and why could you hate them? You can't hate something that doesn't exist.

More pertinently, though, and perhaps less flippantly, you also prove why hating people because of their religious identification is futile and irrational. The point you make here undermines the point you make later, that "bad" religious people are the only "true" ones, that they're the only ones who are "really" following their religious texts. The contradictory nature of those texts, however, makes this a spurious accusation. You're correct in that "good" religious people pick and choose which parts of the text they worship, but "bad" religious people do the exact same thing. They focus on the "bad" parts of the text while ignoring those which explicitly state to show love, forgiveness, mercy, and all that. A Christian homophobe cannot point to some verse in Leviticus as proof that "homosexuals deserve to die" without simultaneously ignoring the verses in the New Testament which are all about "judge not, lest ye be judged," and all that.

"It's no coincidence that visions of a utopian future always show mankind having moved past religious beliefs."

Not really. Aside from the fact that many utopian visions are explicitly religious themselves (the 1000 years of Christ's reign some Christians believe in, for instance), even in sci-fi you have nearly-utopian worlds in which religion is still present; the lovely Starways Congress of Orson Scott Card, for instance, is one in which Catholicism and traditional Asian religions are still present.

"They are delusions which people have used to justify the most heinous acts that have ever been committed in our history. Why anyone would want to identify with one of those groups AT ALL, even if it's only half-assed, is beyond me."

Indisputably true, but it is also true that these "delusions" have been used to justify the most glorious acts in our history as well. The same Catholicism which gave us the Crusades and the Inquisition also gave us the Sistine Chapel and the Cathedral of Notre Dame. The same Catholicism which encouraged warfare against Muslims and Protestants is the some one which discouraged it among Europeans--the Peace and Truce of God (look it up on Wikipedia) was one of the only ways to get European knights to stop killing each other every day of the week. This is to take only one example.

"But, even supporting it half-assed is still supporting it.  One can make donations to a neo nazi group all day long and claim to not be racist, but they're still supporting the hatred."

The problem is, these groups don't support the hate *at all.* It's possible to be a Christian without supporting everything other Christians do, just like it's possible to be a capitalist without supporting everything corrupt businesspeople or whoever do, or it's possible to be a libertarian without supporting the more outlandish theories of Ayn Rand. As I said above, much of the "bad stuff" in the bible has to be cherry-picked or interpreted themselves as well--the "bad christians" or "bad muslims" are hardly exegetical savants. A Quaker who says Fred Phelps is interpreting the Bible wrong is no less correct than he is when he says a Quaker is in the wrong.

"Truthfully, the xtians and muslims who advocate the extermination of peoples are not radical at all. They are the ones that are actually following their holy texts.  It's the xtians who say they are accepting and tolerant that make ZERO sense, because that is not what their bible says to do.  Jesus said it a couple of times, but he also said a lot of violent and intolerant things, and plus he's in a tiny part of the book.  This is the cherry-picking that I was talking about. "

Again, read what I said above. Now, you can argue that the "good" parts of the bible are just a "tiny tiny" part of it, but this is simply untrue. You can find exhortations for love and tolerance all over it, including the Old Testament. The quote from my sig is from Leviticus, for instance (19:33-34). There's the lovely story of filial affection in the Book of Ruth, and the wonderful description of the Lord's mercy to the people of Nineveh in Jonah's story. You simply can't say "there's more bad than good" in the Bible or Koran or whatever and expect people to take it on faith. Many of read both those books and still disagree.

"I'm reminded of a saying: "If you want to make someone an atheist, just hand them a bible."   Most religious people have no idea what their religion is even about.  A Pew study last year made national headlines when it was determined that atheists knew more about the major religions of the world than religious people did.  Catholics actually scored the lowest, even when the questions were about xtianity. "

I've read that study--it's not as favorable towards atheists as you might like to make it out to be. That study had some questions about Asian religions such Buddhism and Hinduism. Since atheists come from all religious groups, i.e you have ex-Christians/Jews/Muslims *and* ex-Buddhists and Hindus and what not, the fact that many scored a bit higher on tests of general religious knowledge isn't surprising. When it comes to specifics, you're right that Catholics don't do well, but Christians (Evangelicals and Mormons in particular) still did better than atheists in regards to the Bible:

http://pewforum.org/U-S-Religious-Knowledge-Survey-Who-Knows-What-About-Religion.aspx

Though white evangelicals have lower scores than Jews and atheists/agnostics overall, they do significantly better on questions about the Bible. White evangelicals correctly answer an average of 5.1 out of seven Bible questions, compared with 4.4 among atheists and agnostics and 4.3 among Jews. Mormons answer almost six of the seven Bible questions correctly on average.

(emphasis added)

"I challenge anyone to read the bible, or the koran, and  say that they have ever met ANYONE who actually follows the tenets of those texts."

I've read the NIV front-to-back. While I certainly don't follow its tenets to such a great extent, I've met a few people who do.

"Many of the prejudices we have today simply would not exist if religion went away, since people have no other reason to feel the way they do other than 'because my church says so'."

Debatable, and even if this were true (a dubious assumption), there are just as many prejudices which would "go away" if other things besides religion were to disappear. People are prejudiced against those of other countries (and you choose to be a citizen of any given country--national hatred is more similar to religious hatred than ethnic hatred), fans of different sports teams (or videogames), adherents of other political parties, and so on, and so forth. If hating people simply because of...not how they act, or even what they believe, but because of what particular ideological group they say they belong to, is legitimate, you'll find yourself hating far more than just "xtians" and muslims. And you may find yourself spewing as much hate as the worst of them, in that case.

Phew! Quite a long spiel. I suppose it was a bit foolish of me, given what I've said about the problems of religious debate on forums like these, but I thought it might be disrespectful to simply ignore your post, Ms. Opium. As I said, though, if Jorgey or the other mods wants me to lay off this discussion, I will most happily do so. <3 <3 <3 Jorgey-sama~!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:27:48 AM by Gunlord »

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
That was.... a beautiful post, Gunlord. Well-written, properly thought out, amicable while at the same time correct in its presentation of both facts and opinion on the counterpoint to other poster's point.

You totally deserve that Peacekeeper award.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
I never got really prejudiced against in any way- (although up till recently i had waist long hair which prompted a few jokes or such) but one thing that really bothers me, is seeing in any kind of application, the race question. "What is your race?" and then lists the options. It just bothers me, since it shouldn't matter.

So I just go to the "other" line and write "American".

Because that's all someone needs to know from my applications and forms.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 07:10:08 AM »
the race question. "What is your race?" and then lists the options. It just bothers me, since it shouldn't matter.

So I just go to the "other" line and write "American".

Now that's fucking stupid. I'd figure asking "what's your nationality" in America is quite pointless, but What the hell do they expect you to write as your "race"?
"Well, I'm a Semitic Anglo-Saxon with possibly certain Slavic roots."

How's that for ignorant people who don't understand the definition of "race"?
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2011, 07:20:37 AM »
I actually take issue with "American", as "America" is a continent, not a country.
"UnitedStatesian" doesn't quite roll off the tongue, though.

People continuously get "Nationality", "Race" and "Descent" wrong.  This leads to people saying stupid things like:

"He doesn't look hispanic, he's white, has blonde hair and blue eyes!"  <----NO, race and nationality have little to do with one another.
"Umm... that's because he's Argentinian.  They look like that down there."

or

"What's your nationality?"
"I'm Dominican"
"I thought you were born in Queens"
"Yeah but my parents are Dominican, so I'm Dominican" <---No, you are of Dominican descent.  You were still born in USA so your nationality is still USA.

"What's your race?"
"I'm American" <---'American' isn't a skin color.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »
Mexicans smell like tacos.
Japanese girls smell like fish.
Korean girls smell like teriyaki.
"That's racist!"

I get that a lot. I'm like, "Mexican isn't a race. People in Mexico smell like taco spices. Japanese isn't a race, people in Japan eat a lot of seafood. ... And people from Korea who come to the US frequently open up teriyaki restaurants."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:42:46 AM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2011, 12:54:50 PM »
Thats another thing. When the US goes and just assumes it owns the name "America".

I just write it to make a point. That my race shouldnt matter, im a citizen of the USA, and thats what matters. (also United Statesian- im not sure thats even a correct term- doesnt roll off the tongue as well and sounds kinda awkward.)

also, "White" and "Black" are not races. They are skin colors. and yet they appear on those sections.

Some Do say "Nationality" though, which is a bit better, but doesnt excuse the option for existing.

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2011, 08:46:37 PM »
I don't get why I have to be Caucasian. The term's used these days to mean "white" but that's not correct. Turks, Arabs, Egyptians, Icelanders and French are all Caucasian, even though not very many frogs or Icelanders would say they look like an Arab. I'm technically Aryan, but if I put that on an application, I might get turned away because people are stupid enough to think that makes me a Nazi.

And yes, I do see "Caucasian" as a racial identifier in some places still.

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »
I don't get why I have to be Caucasian. The term's used these days to mean "white" but that's not correct. Turks, Arabs, Egyptians, Icelanders and French are all Caucasian, even though not very many frogs or Icelanders would say they look like an Arab. I'm technically Aryan, but if I put that on an application, I might get turned away because people are stupid enough to think that makes me a Nazi.

And yes, I do see "Caucasian" as a racial identifier in some places still.

I count as a "Caucasian" because I'm Celtic. I never did learn what the term meant. I guess I understand better now.

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »
It's actually a pretty broad term. It covers most of Eurasia. All of Europe, the Middle East, northern Africa, and parts of south Asia are Caucasian. Then you have Mongoloids, Negroids. I'm not sure where Americans fall under, or if they had their own category. I'd assume they were Mongoloid.

Either way, seemed to be a lot of racism involved in identifying racial differences early on. Hitler drew on that and twisted it into total racism. Aryans were simply Turkish descendants. Semitics were obviously from Jericho. They were the two main Caucasian subraces, so Hitler didn't have to argue against Jews very hard, since he had medical science on his side to say that Aryans (which include most of Europe, not just the Norse) were superior to Semitics.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »
I love that question, "What's your nationality?"
I simple answer with great truth, American.
If your born in America, your fucking American, none of that Asian-American, African-American Shit, Simply American.
If you are Asian Decent and Have no national citizenship in any Asian country, You're American.

This Applies to everyone.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2011, 07:33:08 PM »
Yeah but if you're born in Canada, you're American, because AMERICA IS A CONTINENT.
Same if you're born in Mexico.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2011, 10:01:01 PM »
Either way, seemed to be a lot of racism involved in identifying racial differences early on. Hitler drew on that and twisted it into total racism. Aryans were simply Turkish descendants. Semitics were obviously from Jericho. They were the two main Caucasian subraces, so Hitler didn't have to argue against Jews very hard, since he had medical science on his side to say that Aryans (which include most of Europe, not just the Norse) were superior to Semitics.

Hitler's super race dream goes even further back then that. I recently watched a program in which documents regarding Hitler's Aryan "super" race were made known. All members of Hitler's inner circle believed that they were descendant of a group of super beings that once dwelt on a continent in the north Atlantic (Atlantis). The whole super race program was all about reverting their people back to Atlantian statues; Blond hair, blue eyes, Nordic features, 8 to 12 feet in height, superior abilities, longevity, etc. Prior to the war, Nazi archeologists were sent all over Europe and Asia in search of any and all genetic linkage pertaining to Atlantian descendants. It was very informative and this was something I never knew before. More and more it seem the world in some fashion or another are all consciously or unconsciously directing attention back to this cradle of civilization. If not to recreate a super race then it's about recovering the lost technology or information. Hitler was obviously obsessed if he and his close-nit group were willing to murder over 6 million people for it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2011, 10:31:46 PM »
It's a good thing they failed in their quest, too. Otherwise Cthulhu might have been awakened or a shoggoth unleashed upon our unsuspecting race.

Tags:

anything