Poll

What's your favorite classic board game, or just favorite board game overall?

Chess and/or Checkers or a varient thereof.
0 (0%)
Clue(do)
1 (14.3%)
Risk
1 (14.3%)
Sorry!
0 (0%)
Trivial Pursuit
1 (14.3%)
Battleship
0 (0%)
The Game of Life
1 (14.3%)
Monopoly and/or Any easy way to lose friends and anger family members quickly.
2 (28.6%)
Candyland
0 (0%)
Other: Please specify
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What are your favorite Board Games?  (Read 5089 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:09:29 PM »
So I've been really itching for a game of Clue ("Cluedo" in most places outside the US I believe) and it's got me considering that it's probably my favorite "classic" boardgame, though the design on the new editions look awful from what I've seen. (Not that I plan on getting them, I've got the '72, '97 and 2nd Simpsons editions of the game, which should last me a long time.) I've had a lot of fun with certain dungeon crawl boardgames as well but not got to play them as much unfortunately.
I was wondering which ones my fellow dungeonites liked, and why do you like them?

PS- As for why I prefer Clue, it probably comes in large part from seeing the movie at a young impressionable age
Clue - Trailer
Though like most broad comedies it's less funny now than when I was 7 or 8.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:25:31 PM by Ratty »

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
1st vote in the thread is for Life. I guess you are talking about "The Game of Life". I even have it for the Playstation.
As a little girl I used to play it with my family. Happy times...
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:22:19 PM »
1st vote in the thread is for Life. I guess you are talking about "The Game of Life". I even have it for the Playstation.
As a little girl I used to play it with my family. Happy times...

Yep, that's what I meant. Glad to hear you have happy memories of it :) I'd forgotten there was a playstation version, how was it? The SNES (and I assume Genesis) translations of Clue and Monopoly left a lot to be desired if I remember right, though I haven't played them since I got them on rental when they were new. I'll clarify the poll about meaning the game of life though.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 05:02:53 PM »
+1
Yep, that's what I meant. Glad to hear you have happy memories of it :) I'd forgotten there was a playstation version, how was it?
Terrible  :P
Go for the original game if you want the real experience  :)

I am glad I was able to live (thanks to my parents) during a time where families used to play board games on saturday nights.
And I am also glad I could live the gaming era at full. I guess I was part of both ways.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:03:17 PM »
The movie Clue is hilarious still, though I never saw it till I was in my late teens.

I've been playing Betrayal at House on the Hill with my friends lately. Really fun strategy game where you explore a haunted house, each room drawing a new tile so that the board/map is never the same. You go around exploring, getting your stats up and collecting items until circumstances begin what's called The Haunt, where there's usually one traitor and the rest of the explorers become heroes, and the scenario you play depends on what omen card was drawn in what room, and there's like 50+ scenarios or something like that. One was where all us heroes got shrunk to the size of mice by an evil scientist (the traitor), and we had to find a toy airplane, roll the dice to get the propeller started, all roll to get on board, and then take off in a room with an outdoor-facing window before the scientist's cat minions could bat down the plane and eat us.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »
Risk
Monopoly
Stratego
Clue (I also really enjoy the movie. I just wish some of the characters looked a little more like I'm use to in the board game. For example as I recall Mrs.White was in black. Couldn't you make her in something white? Moreover, I'm use to her being a maid. So, naturally I thought the busty maid in the movie was Mrs. White at first. Overall I still enjoyed it though and thought it was very clever.)

I also like games like Settlers of Catan and Munchkin.

I personally really enjoy board games but half the time no one wants to play with me so I have to play them on my phone or something.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »
Cards Against Humanity is the best thing evar, evar, EVAR.
Munchkin is also good stuff.
The PIT!  OMG the Pit, I've lost my voice when playing that game with my friends.
Chrononauts is pretty neat.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
I voted Monopoly, always liked playing it, always forget how to play it, in other words don't get to play it enough (I know there's also an online version played it a few times with former CVDF'ers.

Battleship would've gotten my vote, played a lot of that, can get very strategic and nerve racking when you're down to your last boat and your in desperation of sinking your opponents ships. Had the regular version and sadly not the electronic one with the talking voice.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
The movie Clue is hilarious still, though I never saw it till I was in my late teens.

Yeah, of course there's a lot of good jokes that just flew right over my head when I first watched it as a kid.
"Colonel Mustard: You lure men to their deaths like a spider with flies!" "Mrs. White: Flies are where men are most vulnerable." "Colonel Mustard: Right!"

The haunted house game sounds pretty good. Reminds me of Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft which I recently bought but haven't got to play yet, shares the gothic theme and has the different-tiles/never-the-same-board thing going on to, though it's purely cooperative and supposedly damned hard. Nothing will ever replace HeroQuest in my heart for pure dungeon crawling joy though.

Risk
Monopoly
Stratego
Clue (I also really enjoy the movie. I just wish some of the characters looked a little more like I'm use to in the board game. For example as I recall Mrs.White was in black. Couldn't you make her in something white? Moreover, I'm use to her being a maid. So, naturally I thought the busty maid in the movie was Mrs. White at first. Overall I still enjoyed it though and thought it was very clever.)

I also like games like Settlers of Catan and Munchkin.

I personally really enjoy board games but half the time no one wants to play with me so I have to play them on my phone or something.

In the most recent edition of the game at time of filming, which used photos instead of illustrations, the characters didn't wear their trademark colors. http://www.theartofmurder.com/table/clueboardgames/us1972/us1972.html And I'd guess they probably thought dressing everyone up in bright primary colors would be distracting.

I like the Munchkin card game but never got around to playing any of the boardgames. I've played Settlers exactly one time and it was ok but just seemed to run on forever, thankfully the guy at the comic shop let us order pizza in.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:40:05 PM by Ratty »

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »
Luuvs me some Trivial Pursuit. What can I say. I am sucker for bits of information.

And I thought I was special and rare for liking the Clue movie. Though, incidentally, I saw it when I was 14 or so  ;D

The board game was kind of fun too the few times someone agreed to play it (the competition was between NES or doing stuff outside and those usually won).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:44:50 AM by A-Yty »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 01:26:24 AM »
Monopoly!  ;D
My family has quite a collection of these and we're always tempted to add more if not for the space constraints.

I also love Scrabble and Upwords but my family hates to play against me on those games.

The game of life is also fun.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 01:38:57 AM »
Oh yeah, Scrabble too. And word games in general. I find myself on crossword puzzle binges every now and then. A way to clean up some cobwebs out the ol' noggin. I try not to do it too much, since that would make me good in that particular game instead of just doing a general neuron exercise. I'm no master, but I do enjoy them. To add some variety to fast minigame moments, I play chess every now and then.

This is one of my favorites, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balderdash

Kind of a challenge to get people to play it, because it requires writing and thinking stuff up. People usually want something faster that requires less effort. I think it's a great game because of those things and because it doesn't require specific skills.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:43:27 AM by A-Yty »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 06:21:11 AM »
I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned Hero Quest. Pretty much the greatest board game ever made. A SOTN pack for hero quest would be amazing!

Really, if none of you have heard of this game look it up. I can think of no better way to spend a night when you've got 4 or so friends over.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:37:12 AM by Jeffrey Montoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »
I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned Hero Quest. Pretty much the greatest board game ever made. A SOTN pack for hero quest would be amazing!

Really, if none of you have heard of this game look it up. I can think of no better way to spend a night when you've got 4 or so friends over.

I mentioned it actually. It's a great game, I'd love to get a copy of it again but last time I looked on ebay it was going for about $75.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
Oh, you did! Right on. Sorry about that, I must have glazed over that last part of your post.

Yeah, Hero Quest is the shit man!

I had a game called Dragon Strike that was a pretty cool Hero Quest rip off as well. But something about it just wasn't quite as cool. Hero Quest just had this bad ass atmosphere about it.

We have two copies of Hero Quest packed away somewhere. I also have Battle Masters which was made by the Hero Quest guys. Haven't played in years and years though. Just talking about it brings back good memories of staying up until 4 in the morning with my buds.

:)
The worst monsters are human.

Tags: