Poll

Choose who wins the December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon MUSIC Contest

Chernabogue's "You'll Die at My Place" covering "I'll Sell at My Place" from HoD
3 (33.3%)
Dracula9's remixed "Forest of Monsters" from SCVIV
3 (33.3%)
BairaagiVN's remixed "Silence of Daylight" from CV2
1 (11.1%)
BMC_War Machine's "Stalker" - Followers of Darkness IV
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 30, 2014, 12:56:28 AM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon MUSIC Contest  (Read 28749 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Re: December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon MUSIC Contest
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »
My submission is the final one. Won't have the time nor the will to work on it before the deadline. :)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2014, 02:17:59 AM »
Alright. I've already posted your work on the first post.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2014, 07:37:19 AM »
Final entry. Drew a little bit of inspiration from Carmilla's Fight.

Chosen theme is Forest of Monsters from SCVIV.
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/v2lsiwxgcygbm78/CVIV_Remix_(Jungle_Fever).mp3

Edit: Whoops, forgot the title. Fixed.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:27:57 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline BairaagiVN

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
Hello! I was directed to this contest from Sindra on Twitter. I did a boss battle-style remix of CV2's Silence of Daylight in Famitracker.

https://soundcloud.com/bairaagi/bairaagi-in-broad-daylight

I doubt I'll get much of a chance to edit it in the next few hours, so consider it a final entry.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:15:11 PM by BairaagiVN »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
Hello! I was directed to this contest from Sindra on Twitter. I did a boss battle-style remix of CV2's Silence of Daylight in Famitracker.

https://soundcloud.com/bairaagi/bairaagi-in-broad-daylight

I doubt I'll get much of a chance to edit it in the next few hours, so consider it a final entry.  Thanks!

Heck of a first post, this is really great! I also loved the village theme from Simon's Quest. That theme doesn't get enough love and you don't hear it remixed so often.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »
Time's up!

All entries are already on the first post.

Please vote in the poll.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 12:57:18 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline BairaagiVN

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2014, 02:53:37 PM »
OK, some comments on other people's entries:

Dracula9 -- This definitely sounds like a modern boss battle theme. It would fit perfectly in an action film or a Lords of Shadow-type game. The percussion in the beginning makes the song you're remixing clear, although I'm having a hard time picking out the original melody or bassline. (Saying that is kinda hypocritical since the first half of my entry is so loosely based on the original track that it's probably unrecognizable...)  And of course, you clearly know what you're doing in terms of mixing/mastering.

Chernabogue -- I wasn't familiar with the track you're remixing, but on listening to both I see the resemblance.  This is very much a heroic effort in taking such a short song and turning it into a full entry.  Like Dracula9's entry, this would work in a film or modern game, but yours had a more direct focus on the melody (which fits my personal preferences better).

BMC_War Machine -- You mentioned adding live instruments later.  Are they going to be kick-ass rock/metal guitars?  I get the feeling that it would work out fantastically.  I also appreciate that you're remixing Stalker, one of the more neglected tunes from CV1.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »
OK, some comments on other people's entries:

Dracula9 -- This definitely sounds like a modern boss battle theme. It would fit perfectly in an action film or a Lords of Shadow-type game. The percussion in the beginning makes the song you're remixing clear, although I'm having a hard time picking out the original melody or bassline. (Saying that is kinda hypocritical since the first half of my entry is so loosely based on the original track that it's probably unrecognizable...)  And of course, you clearly know what you're doing in terms of mixing/mastering.

Chernabogue -- I wasn't familiar with the track you're remixing, but on listening to both I see the resemblance.  This is very much a heroic effort in taking such a short song and turning it into a full entry.  Like Dracula9's entry, this would work in a film or modern game, but yours had a more direct focus on the melody (which fits my personal preferences better).

BMC_War Machine -- You mentioned adding live instruments later.  Are they going to be kick-ass rock/metal guitars?  I get the feeling that it would work out fantastically.  I also appreciate that you're remixing Stalker, one of the more neglected tunes from CV1.
hey thanks! :) unfortunately I didnt have a chancs after I entered the rough draft, but I will definitely be adding the metal to it at another time for sure! :)
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »

Thanks! Had a bit of a rough time going from the previous iteration to this one (if you go back a few pages and listen it'll be obvious just how much). Ultimately I do agree that the main tune isn't very obvious, but the changes I made to the percussion beat (which was always meant as one of the main focuses of this remix) made it difficult to get the original bassline in there without muddying the percussion up. I wound up, due to the time crunch, having to decide between the percussion or bassline being lost, and I chose the latter. That being said, most of the long ambient strings are based in the notes used in the original song.

But hell, I had fun with this and then some. Finally had something to use those choir "zhuu" sounds for. :)

Also, two questions. Are the contestants allowed to vote, and are the results being kept hidden until reveal day?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »
Results aren't hidden to who already voted.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2014, 09:05:55 PM »
I had a hunch that was the case, but the other question's lack of a definitive answer is cause for hesitation.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »
Contestants can vote for themselves. hehehe. It's a free for all poll, after all.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
I found them all about equally unfit for a boss battle except Chernabogue's. It was just a mess though. The only song I actually liked as a music piece was BMC_War_Machine, so that's where my vote went.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
I've voted in Bairaagi submission, I was almost voting in Chernabogue's. Sorry but these 2 were the only ones that sounded like a boss theme to me, so while the others aren't bad, they don't fit IMO. Dracula9 earlier submission was much better than his last one, so he should pursue that style.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2014, 01:53:38 PM »
Commenting on the other entries:

Dracula9: Nice use of the percussion. The arrangement goes a little awry when the flute is introduced. It sounds really ominous after 1:00. I had trouble hearing the original, but the arrangement sounded really nice as a whole. You improved a lot.

BairaagiVN: Very nice! I didn't expect some chiptune. The arrangement itself is interesting. The additions to the original source are great, especially the minor chords. But it's toooooo short! :D

BMC_War Machine: Great choice here. The drums are a little too MIDI-sounding, and the arrangement lacks punch (even with the drum kit). However, I really like how you arranged the source. The theme is easily recognizable, and the new additions are also interesting.

Hope I'm not sounding too harsh -- we have some great entries! :)

Tags:

anything