Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Scratching your hardcore gaming itch...with board games  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: Scratching your hardcore gaming itch...with board games
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 05:45:53 PM »
I love watching the Dice Tower top 10's (really top 30s since it's 3 guys top ten lists) and lusting after games I can't afford lol. They review pretty much everything that comes out as well. I want to get more into board gaming but can't afford it at the moment. Here's an essential resource for reviews/pictures/documents/price checks/fan made content though http://www.boardgamegeek.com/

Tom Vasel, Zee Garcia and Sam Healey have great chemistry/banter, I can and have listened to them talk about games for hours. By the way Dice Tower reviewed the new Star Trek re-skin/streamlined Mage Knight coming out next month ("Star Trek Frontiers") and liked it but for my money it doesn't look near worth the $80 asking price.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:48:15 PM by Ratty »

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »

Tom Vasel, Zee Garcia and Sam Healey have great chemistry/banter, I can and have listened to them talk about games for hours. By the way Dice Tower reviewed the new Star Trek re-skin/streamlined Mage Knight coming out next month ("Star Trek Frontiers") and liked it but for my money it doesn't look near worth the $80 asking price.

Dice Tower is really helpful and informative, love their stuff.

I am doubting that the Star Trek : Frontiers can live up to the original Mage Knight, and I really wish that were not the case, because I am huge Trekkie. I am curious as to what Tom and the gang think of it.

Mage Knight and its first expansion are very well worth it though. Countless hours already lost on it, and it never feels the same twice. So much randomness ensures that no two plays are ever alike by a long shot, but you still have a lot that you can control via your decisions. Again, probably the most balanced board game of the type that I've yet played.

Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 07:53:13 PM »
Tom is the only one who's reviewed it so far https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FIuHpyBASs he feels it's superior because he thinks "the theme works better" though from the sound of it I believe that really just means he personally enjoys the theme more. They stripped out or slimmed down some of the mechanics of Mage Knight which may make it slightly more accessible to a wider player base, but also could cut down on the variety. They might add a lot of that back in with a future expansion(s) though.

Tom likes it but I see a lot of people are unhappy with the screenshots used for card artwork (many of which are apparently recycled from the earlier "Attack Wing" game) but as I saw pointed out, nobody complained about screenshots for artwork in the BSG board game. It just feels like illogical snobbery because everyone likes to hate on WizKids. True the tiles are sparse but it's outer space, there's not a lot you could do there and retain functionality.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:59:18 PM by Ratty »

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 09:01:41 PM »
Tom is the only one who's reviewed it so far https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FIuHpyBASs he feels it's superior because he thinks "the theme works better" though from the sound of it I believe that really just means he personally enjoys the theme more. They stripped out or slimmed down some of the mechanics of Mage Knight which may make it slightly more accessible to a wider player base, but also could cut down on the variety. They might add a lot of that back in with a future expansion(s) though.

Tom likes it but I see a lot of people are unhappy with the screenshots used for card artwork (many of which are apparently recycled from the earlier "Attack Wing" game) but as I saw pointed out, nobody complained about screenshots for artwork in the BSG board game. It just feels like illogical snobbery because everyone likes to hate on WizKids. True the tiles are sparse but it's outer space, there's not a lot you could do there and retain functionality.

It's justifiable hate on Wiz Kids for some instances. It ruined at least one of the Mage Knight expansions (Shades of Tezla) from what I understand due to QC issues that were not corrected (tokens and cards ended up being a different shape/tint which made it obvious which cards and tokens were coming up in the pile...)

But after looking over the Star Trek : Frontiers a bit with my wife, we both agree that until STF comes out with expansions, it will be inferior for a few reasons.

1) It is taking a step backward in terms of character diversity. STF has only 1 unique card per player, as opposed to 2 unique cards per player in MK : LL . 

2) No day/night cycle means less variety in terms of tactics to chose from.

3) Lush landscapes vs looking at all black : We agree that the ST theme works really well for this game, but staring at the vast emptiness of space doesn't seem quite as appealing...

4) I was kinda hoping for some unique hand art as well, as it is really good in MK. I can see why some people are miffed about this. It's not a deal breaker at all, but it would be nice. MK is very aesthetically pleasing.

5) Some of the more advanced scenarios are missing from STF. Tom said that the Borg are too easy. This makes sense, as the Borg cubes are the MK equivalent of cities, which are not terribly difficult to defeat. If they had made the Borg the equivalent of General Volkaire from the MK expansion, that would indeed be a very appropriate threat. Heck, in all honestly with all the advances that they made in MK: LL , there really is no reason why the improvements could not have been incorporated into STF in some sense. As it is, I am not too sure that STF will even sell well enough to get expansions. I would hope so, as that would give me some justification to get the game. As it is now , though, my wife and I think it's best to hold out and see if STF can at least manage to equal MK and its first expansion at some point in time. I'd love to take the Defiant out for a spin, butt heads with the Dominion and such.

Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »

So...new games added to my collection that I have yet to play :

Shadowrun : Crossfire with High Caliber Ops expansion
Thunderstone Advance with multiple expansions
Commissioned

Indonesia (3rd ed) and Super Dungeon Explore : Legends are on order, but months away from delivery.

Very curious to see how Shadowrun plays out, supposed to be a tough-as-nails co-op deck-builder , but I am very curious to see how the continuity of using the same character between multiple games and level-up mechanics play out.

Tags: