Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Which Castlevania(s) do you feel is/are the most underrated?  (Read 47401 times)

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
Re: Which Castlevania(s) do you feel is/are the most underrated?
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »
It is underrated because lot of people hate because it is made in Spain, if all people can look and see the only reality every one will see it is the best castlevania and stop talking about the past, the old games passed of fashion or the igarashis that are not for men i don't even think of igarashis as castlevanias and they are the better example of overrated, like who say.

I'm 1/4 Spanish, so... yeah.  Your little strawman of those who have different opinions is sad.

Offline Rudolph LagnaGaisaer

• Dragon Slayer.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »
hum... can i expose CVA as one ? the game was freaking challenging (not hard only challenging) that when I won, I squeezed my own hand and said, congratulations you are the champion of the world of video games.

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »
I think Bloodlines, CV64 and Circle of the Moon are all underrated. But the most underrated game by far is Simon's Quest. Today it has a bad reputation as being one of the worst CV games because its not very clear what you need to do. But you need to view it in the context of the era it came out in. The game came out right at the same time that it was the cover feature of a Nintendo Power issue that told you exactly what to do in all those unclear situations.  In those days everyone knew someone that had Nintendo Power, and it was just part of the culture to spread around those obscure tips so they became common knowledge, much like with the original Legend of Zelda (which, btw, also has a few "How the hell was I supposed to know to do that without a guide??" moments). In 1989, Simon's Quest was considered nothing less than one of the best NES games, period. It's only looking back from a modern perspective that it seems weak or a "black sheep".

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2013, 06:52:28 PM »
I think Bloodlines, CV64 and Circle of the Moon are all underrated. But the most underrated game by far is Simon's Quest. Today it has a bad reputation as being one of the worst CV games because its not very clear what you need to do. But you need to view it in the context of the era it came out in. The game came out right at the same time that it was the cover feature of a Nintendo Power issue that told you exactly what to do in all those unclear situations.  In those days everyone knew someone that had Nintendo Power, and it was just part of the culture to spread around those obscure tips so they became common knowledge, much like with the original Legend of Zelda (which, btw, also has a few "How the hell was I supposed to know to do that without a guide??" moments). In 1989, Simon's Quest was considered nothing less than one of the best NES games, period. It's only looking back from a modern perspective that it seems weak or a "black sheep".
I consider Simon's Quest today as one of the best games ever, and I knew it when it was very old, and still I loved it.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »
Simon's Quest. Today it has a bad reputation as being one of the worst CV games because its not very clear what you need to do. But you need to view it in the context of the era it came out in.

This is not a excuse, everyone knew to write or read at this time, it has nothing to do with the "era". With the correct translation it would have received a better reputation, but I think its underrated too.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
This is not a excuse, everyone knew to write or read at this time, it has nothing to do with the "era". With the correct translation it would have received a better reputation, but I think its underrated too.

My point about the era is that it did not have a bad reputation in 1989, in its own time. It developed its bad reputation in more modern times, because it hasn't aged nearly as we'll as, say, Castlevania III because of the translation issues. But back in the late 80's it's reputation was just fine, because everyone who owned it knew exactly what "Bang your head on Deborah Cliff" meant due to the gamer culture of that time.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
They reviewed game at that era right? Someone have some review from this era to remove my doubts please?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2013, 07:10:19 PM »
They reviewed game at that era right? Someone have some review from this era to remove my doubts please?

Check out the Wikipedia page for Simon's Quest, it states that it ranked #15 in Nintendo Power's list of top NES games, and also that "the game garnered positive reviews upon its release, and received the reputation of a Nintendo classic over time". Also read the first paragraph of the IGN review for the game. They all back up what I said, that Simon's Quest was considered a great game in its own time, and only got the reputation as a flawed game in more recent years, probably as newer CV fans were introduced to it after playing the more recent games (and the AVGN review contributed as well I'm sure).

Offline Skycaptain Steampunk

• Hunter in Training
  • "Eu sunt Dracul!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2013, 10:34:02 PM »
because its a bad game, the critics they say its good because they like rare games that play bad and confuse players of nonsense advise, you can look at it, see the old graphics, all the poeple is equal, all the boss levels are equal, all the marsh, they hash the game, not only, is the truth.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2013, 02:22:47 AM »
+2
because its a bad game, the critics they say its good because they like rare games that play bad and confuse players of nonsense advise, you can look at it, see the old graphics, all the poeple is equal, all the boss levels are equal, all the marsh, they hash the game, not only, is the truth.

My heart weeps.

Simon's Quest was a game of its time, and good for its time, reliant in great part on the gaming culture of the times, and it has aged horribly for that reason.

Hating a game for its graphics is like hating a cake for how pretty the icing is.  Pretty icing is always a bonus, but that's all it is.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2013, 02:33:33 AM »
My heart weeps.

Simon's Quest was a game of its time, and good for its time, reliant in great part on the gaming culture of the times, and it has aged horribly for that reason.

Hating a game for its graphics is like hating a cake for how pretty the icing is.  Pretty icing is always a bonus, but that's all it is.

There is a rift in the gaming culture.
I would say Simon's Quest is a game that is best played when you appreciate the era when it was made. Then, you will like it. People nowadays have a tendency to compare old games with new ones, and that is so wrong.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2013, 02:39:08 AM »
There is a rift in the gaming culture.
I would say Simon's Quest is a game that is best played when you appreciate the era when it was made. Then, you will like it. People nowadays have a tendency to compare old games with new ones, and that is so wrong.

The biggest complaint I see leveled again and again at Simon's Quest (too confusing/cryptic) also applies to The Legend of Zelda (arguably even more so) and take a look at the ratings it has on Gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563433-the-legend-of-zelda
So... yeah. I'll admit, though, that the truly stellar games can and do stand the test of time, and Simon's Quest isn't amongst them.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2013, 02:46:28 AM »
+1
To be sincere, I didnt answered any post from this guy because Im exhausted right now and because of it I cant even do a decent post without saying what he deserve, but please, try to keep calm with him, he should have his motives to posting these kind of opinions here.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »

I just wanted to say that this is the most beautiful way I've ever heard of someone making that point. Good show, sir! ;D
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Rudolph LagnaGaisaer

• Dragon Slayer.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2013, 06:08:18 PM »

My eyes My eyes My eyes. AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh My Heart Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Tags:

anything