Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: DXC Changes of SotN(Possible Spoilers)  (Read 29120 times)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: DXC Changes of SotN(Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 02:55:14 PM »
In Reply To #15

The only place I saw new items and enemies mentioned was in a preview.  I never saw anything from Iga or Konami about that.

System_Zero

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 08:46:27 PM »
So no cursed prison or Underground Garden? :(

So it's like a 1/2 way point between the PS1 and the Saturn versions.

I also do kinda miss the cheesy VO from the original SoTN, but this version is still pretty good (fancy way of saying "Die Monster!"). But I do like Alucard's old voice. Oh well, that's what the PS1 is for.

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 09:49:50 PM »
Is it me or does it seems if a few of the enemies yells out japanese words such as the minotaur and the owl knight.  The minotaur says something when he does the "shoryuken" and if I remember correctly, he also says somethin when he throws the werewolf at you.  The owl knight says something in japanese when you kill his owl.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:55:23 PM by le052383 »

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 09:58:01 PM »
In Reply To #15

The only place I saw new items and enemies mentioned was in a preview.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:03:34 PM by le052383 »

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »
From what I'm reading, the PSP version is basically a retranslated Japanese version.  All items and relics are in their Japanese counterpart positions, so some familiar cards have been moved around (no confirmation on items, I think those were the same between versions).  What's odd is that the Japanese voices are used for enemies.  This is odd because DoS kept the Japanese voices, PoR translated all dialogue, and now ... we're back to Japanese again ... doesn't make any sense.

Anyway.  Two things I'm still curious about; 5th ending where Maria transforms into  a monster--is it in?  And, are the items and equipment retranslated?  I'm guessing yes, since it's the Japanese version translated from scratch.

Offline Marto

• Kojima fan :)
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Marto's Art
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 11:24:15 PM »
I HATE alucard's voice...

Also, the PSP is completely the retard child of the playstation controller, because it can't perform a single goddamn spell. I have been endlessly trying to pull off even the fire ball spell, and it isn't working. Only one I can get to work is the weak version of Tetra Soul where one little spirit pops out like a magnificent loogey, and mostly misses the single enemy on screen.

God forbid I even attempt to pull of a soul steal. U.U

Any idea as to how to fix the issue?

Aside from that, I'm loving every other new voice.

Alucard, however, should have been the same sexy-ass stud from the '97 game. My knees buckled at the sound of that deep-voiced miracle.  :P

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 11:28:45 PM »
In Reply To #20

No.

Offline Death

• I'll Be Seeing You Soon
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 04:34:39 AM »
Can someone upload a YouTube video of Alucard's new voice acting? I've heard Richter and Dracula's and they sound much improved, i'm curious what Alucard sounds like.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 08:34:02 AM »
In Reply To #21

Yeah, the PSP has a crappy D-pad. It only goes in 4 directions for some reason, you can't do any diagonal movement on it. Dunno if you homebrew but there's a application called JoySens that allows you to mess with the sensitivity of the analog stick and also map the stick to the d-pad which, if I'm right, would actually allow for 8 way movement on the pad. That would definitely make it a little easier to use the spells.

I tried it with my old firmware and couldn't get it to work, but I just upgraded, so I might try it again. PM me if you want a link.

Wonko

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »
The PSP D-pad CAN do diagonals, you just have to push very hard. The PSP slim D-pad is suppossedly fixed, so I suggest getting rid of the old model. (good thing I haven't bought a PSP yet, I'll get the new one)

Is it just me or the new script is harder to follow? Sometimes when a conversation finishes I just stare at the screen and think: "What did they say just now?"

I think I expected too much with the new voices, (something of at least Curse of Darkness caliber) most of the time they're fine, if a bit lifeless, and some other times they're even cheesier than the old originals. Maria sometimes sounds like a "surfer girl", Alucard sounds a lot younger (like it's suppossed to be, but I still think the japanese VA got him right: young, but still somehow deep.), and he's mostly fine, except for his first encounter with Richter.

"The scent of blood... YOU'RE A BELMONT!!11+1" <--- that last part with the whiny yell is enough to make my ears bleed. He could've yelled it better, as to not feel disconnected from the rest of the dialogue.

The new VA is growing on me though, master librarian is the most improved in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:09:16 AM by Wonko »

Offline sonicabid

• Yakuza is beast
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Buy and play the Yakuza games
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 09:06:43 AM »
In Reply To #24

Luckily I got a PSP slim, so I shouldn't have too much trouble casting spells. I didn't rely on them at all anyway, I'd only occasionally use hellfire or soul steal. One thing I need to test on my PSP is a SF game. If I can do all the moves with ease in that game, I can gurantee that I could do the spells in SOTN. Too bad EBgames sucks and still doesn't have DXC in.

Offline king metroid

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 11:32:49 AM »
i heard that maria's game has been changed. confirmation?

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »
In Reply To #20

No.  It's not a retranslated Japanese version.  It's still mostly the US version, but with the familiars added in and the Maria boss fight from the Saturn version added in.  There are some taunts after you get killed by a boss, but by and large this is still the US version.  Just about all of the item descriptions are the same.  Most of the enemies don't use their Japanese voices.  This isn't really a retranslation of the Japanese version, it's sorta an amalgamation of the various versions with new dialogue added on top of everything.

What I meant was that they took the Japanese version and worked from there, as opposed to taking the US version and reworking it.  If the enemy voices are indeed English (as opposed to Japanese as I had heard they were), then this probably isn't the case and I was mistaken.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 12:29:20 PM »
In Reply To #23
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_axQlRGHoeM

Alucard sounds plain silly. Most of the other voices, too.

The original voice acting (including script) was & will always be better IMO.

Also, why did they remove the vortex in the background when you meet Death?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 12:32:18 PM by Crisis »

Offline Marto

• Kojima fan :)
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Marto's Art
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »
Another change.
The speech that Maria usually gives to Alucard after he defeats the Hippogryph is now given as soon as he unlocks the door that leads to the Chapel. (First door you unlock with the  Open Jewel to the Westernmost part of the map.

Tags: