Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: why they take so long making Castlevania games?  (Read 17729 times)

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
Re: why they take so long making Castlevania games?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 10:09:51 AM »
yet despite that, you all played through and enjoyed PoR anyways, at least a little, right?

mgfcortez

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 10:15:54 AM »
yet despite that, you all played through and enjoyed PoR anyways, at least a little, right?   :) ;D

it was ok i played it and liked it.
but it did disappoint me a little
it a ok game but to try to say it's better than the godly sotn is just crazy ::)
like SR said most the new games are still reusing sprites from sotn and rodeo so what more can one say;D

Offline Rodriguezjr

• Local Vampire Hunter
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Rodriguezjr's Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 01:28:25 PM »
I don't think its really that long any more but, I think its time to slow it down on the Castlevania games. So far, we had a Castlevania handheld game almost every year now. I think is time to slow it down and come up with more new ideas to come in the series.

Grim Reaper

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 06:01:38 PM »
I don't think its really that long any more but, I think its time to slow it down on the Castlevania games. So far, we had a Castlevania handheld game almost every year now. I think is time to slow it down and come up with more new ideas to come in the series.

There I agree with you. IGA must think sometimes like he refine wind in Castlevania agrees.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 03:06:04 AM »
Por's level design sucked. No matter how much better its graphics (and really, it wasn't all that better. Zacchino, nyx, the sisters, everything was still subpar. Only Werewolf and Astarte had good sprites) or music could be from dos, it's the game itself that counts.

Like some other community would say, graphics <<< gameplay, and Por's was just Dos gameplay on flat uninteresting repetitive copypasted levels.

Grim Reaper

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 03:30:38 AM »
I would become it great finds if one in twos then story mode could play. This would be to the change also sometimes what the new. :)

Offline John Capricorn

• Celebrate good times, c'mon. Celebrate ...etc
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 05:20:34 AM »
^ Do you speak any other languages than english?  Havin' some difficulty there.

HoD, AoS, DoS, PoR  COOKIE CUTTER
Some were good, recent ones are OK... taking a break would be good.  However, if they don't, they should go out all out EA Sports style and release yearly installments (barfs).

Offline Saner

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 08:39:59 AM »
okay so ya don't like the cookie cutter approach.

but taking more time doesn't mean the next game will be better.   
I mean for example, Prey took 7 years to be completed and it's pure trash.  heck I rather play Doom 3 again than that. 

and also innovation is not always the best formula for new fun.    if they dare make a 2.5D Castlevania for Wii that involves waving the wiimote to use a whip or sword, I'll keel someone.    :P

I think as long as Castlevania has the classic platforming gameplay and exploration, good level design, a healthy selection of classic and new characters with their own playstyles (like CV3, Saturn/psp SOTN, and PoR), great boss designs with cool attacks,  and options to crank up the challenge, then it'll be cake slapping it with a new story, backgrounds, music, and people will appreciate it.

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 09:16:31 AM »
okay so ya don't like the cookie cutter approach.

It gets damned old damned fast.

I mean for example, Prey took 7 years to be completed and it's pure trash.  heck I rather play Doom 3 again than that.

All a matter of opinion, sir. I know plenty of people who love playing Prey. Eye of the beholder and all that.

and also innovation is not always the best formula for new fun.    if they dare make a 2.5D Castlevania for Wii that involves waving the wiimote to use a whip or sword, I'll keel someone.    :P

Why? Don't have a wii? IGA's already said they're thinking of fitting Castlevania to the Wii's gameplay. I think it'd be a helluva lot better than some of the stuff they're using now.

I think as long as Castlevania has the classic platforming gameplay and exploration

That's not classic Castlevania. Classic Castlevania = Move forward, whip, kill, beat boss, get orb, go to next level, kill dracula.

good level design, a healthy selection of classic and new characters with their own playstyles (like CV3, Saturn/psp SOTN, and PoR), great boss designs with cool attacks,  and options to crank up the challenge, then it'll be cake slapping it with a new story, backgrounds, music, and people will appreciate it.

Well IGA claims he's been sticking with the old formula and really, he hasn't. He's claiemd to do all those things you listed there and all he comes up with is crap. PoR was NOT a Castlevania game; the title was tacked on so people would buy it.

Also Castlevania should be hard from the get-go, like the classic Castlevanias and the new Rondo PSP. I don't wanna have to play through the same shit story with bad level and character design just to get a harder game after I've already tortured myself enough with the "normal" mode.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 11:06:23 AM »
Quote from: Saner

Quasar

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 12:25:11 PM »
That's the whole thing though. IGA will not be given a huge budget because Castlevania is not a big-budget series any longer. After CotM, N64 CV's, HoD, AoS, DoS, LoI, CoD, AND PoR have failed to be huge smash hits, it's pretty evident that Castlevania is, much like Metroid, a niche series.

But at least Nintendo is able to subsidize the development of some niche series to keep their fans happy. Konami has decided that it's easier to try to throw around gimmicks in an attempt to appeal to a crowd.

The change to anime art style for the GBA/DS games was just a blatant attempt to add kid/young teen appeal to a series that, by its nature, mostly appeals to a more mature audience.

The shift of settings and characters in AoS/DoS I believe was meant to do something similar as well -- make the series appeal to Japanese teenagers.

IGA and Konami need to give up trying to make CV appeal to the lowest common denominator of gamers before they'll ever be able to make another decent game. They either need to accept that it is a niche game, or give up on the series. Ruining it with this constant screwing around just drives away the fans.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2007, 12:31:39 PM »
In Reply To #29

Honestly, there was nothing about PoR that I could enjoy as a Castlevania game.

I have to disagree with that. Even though PoR is nothing like a true Castlevania should be, I still get entertainment out of it. C'mon, it's still a video game based around magic and castles.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline The Clark

• Beast of Blood
  • Hunter in Training
    • MySpace profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2007, 01:05:11 PM »
That's not classic Castlevania. Classic Castlevania = Move forward, whip, kill, beat boss, get orb, go to next level, kill dracula.

What about Castlevania II?

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »
In Reply To #42

No, I said as a Castlevania game. PoR was not a Castlevania game by any means. Dracula could have been completely out of the equation, the Belmonts never even mentioned, and it could have stood as a game all its own.

Quasar

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2007, 03:59:58 PM »
The ironic part is that it would probably be considered better if that were the case. There would be posts on here from people saying "Check out that game called <whatever>, it's a lot like Castlevania and it rocks. You get to play as TWO PEOPLE AT ONCE!!!"

By being part of the series, it automatically gets dragged down by association with some of the other titles that people have not felt met their expectations for the Castlevania series.

Tags:

anything