Poll

Should there be another female lead character?

YES ABSOLUTELY
35 (67.3%)
NO DEFINATELY NOT
6 (11.5%)
I DUNNO, MIND VIOLATE DARK PRIEST
11 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A new female lead?  (Read 33115 times)

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »
They certainly not in Japan.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 10:52:54 PM »
a new female lead?  yes, definitely, but not for a couple more games down the road.  of course, i'd be willing to take a resurrected Sonia any time, but i guess that really wouldn't be a "new" lead.  i'm all for another Belnades witch too, as long as it sheds some light on who these people are.

Offline Von Doodling

• Awards
Re: A new female lead?
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 12:55:20 AM »
A new female lead wouldn't hurt. Preferably a huge hulkish brute like Aveline from Dragon Age 2.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 12:55:39 AM »
a new female lead?  yes, definitely, but not for a couple more games down the road.  of course, i'd be willing to take a resurrected Sonia any time, but i guess that really wouldn't be a "new" lead.  i'm all for another Belnades witch too, as long as it sheds some light on who these people are.
Yeah, it's time for the Belnades to show up! Maybe not in next game, as we got Shanoa, but near in the future, who knows? :)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 01:06:12 AM »
I liked sonia, as long as they put here somewhere else in the timeline, its all good.

Oh, and this time, NOT having her bang Alucard would be nice.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Lil Chillbil

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »
Yes i totaly agree a female Charicter who uses the whip would be awesome. they might even be able to make a sub plot out of this.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
How about this:

20 years after DoS.  Julius has settled down and has a daughter who has just turned 18 and has been trained by her father to wield the whip so that she may become his successor.  With that, Julius can retire knowing that his families legacy will continue.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 07:55:40 PM »
How about not. Please... we need to leave the 21st centuryvanias alone. IGA already ruined Aria's perfect ending with Dawn of Sorrow. we dont need anything more after that. the novel might be OK since it doesnt revolve around Dracula or anything at all. Its just his lackeys deciding to take the world for themselves.

if im correct actually, isnt Soma just a cameo in the novel?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 01:36:19 AM »
20 years after DoS.  Julius has settled down and has a daughter who has just turned 18 and has been trained by her father to wield the whip so that she may become his successor.  With that, Julius can retire knowing that his families legacy will continue.

This can work. Dracula is no-longer the villain since he is now Soma, but there are other great evils out there that the Belmont family can tackle. There's still Death who never dies. He could easily take over where Vlad left off and get his @$$ handed to him every time. And Death isn't limited to the hundred years resurrection cycle as Dracula was so you can have multiple games with the same protagonist if you so desire. And of course there's also Galamoth so that's 2 major villains for the Belmonts to deal with. Aw heck I'd even pay money for a game that has the Belmonts going up against Cthulhu. And the 21st century doesn't need to be all futuristic with high technology either. The game could easily take place out in the middle of nowhere or in an abandoned land with ruins, villages and castles to boot.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 05:42:55 AM »
I find it very ironic that some claim there are only 2 female protagonist in the Castlevania universe. Let's do a little bit of history shall we? :)

Sypha <-- CV3
Sonia <-- CVL
Carrie <-- CV64
Charlotte <-- OR
Maria <-- Rondo/SoTN
Shanoa <-- OOE.
ADA <-- ....wait wrong game ;P

Nope, sounds like to me Castlevania is doing fine with female protagonist. Just because Maria and Sypha are considered sub characters really doesn't mean anything, this also includes Charlotte; if they are tied to the story as a main character (i.e apart of the part) then they have their own unique storyline around them and their reasons as  to why they are putting the Demon Castle and its dark master back to rest.

And yes there should be more female protagonist. Now here is an even more interesting factor that is slightly off topic - and honestly I find this funny, so don't take it too seriously: Anyone ever notice how racist Castlevania is? It's always a white guy with a whip. ;o Let's see some brother's as protagonist! :D

Offline Francis

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:10 AM »
Actually all hispanic countries (latin america and spain) Portugal, Brasil and Italia I think, keep both surnames
no, Italia not  ;)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
werent Sonia and Carrie's games stricken from Canon?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 08:13:13 AM »
I find it very ironic that some claim there are only 2 female protagonist in the Castlevania universe.

I'm pretty sure they mean 'lead' as this is what the title of the thread says.

A protagonist is someone in working in favor of the lead. This of course almost always includes the lead themselves. The lead however is the single most focal character, and almost always a protagonist. Being a lead and a protagonist are not the same things though. There have been many female protagonists, but only two female leads.

Carrie is arguably a lead, since you select your playable character at the beginning of the game, but it's pretty much accepted that she takes a back seat to Reinhardt in the overall big picture.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
Anyone ever notice how racist Castlevania is? It's always a white guy with a whip. ;o Let's see some brother's as protagonist!  :D
Yeah we could call it Castlevania: The Disco of Evil and you'd have to fight Blacula  8) Incidentally Castlevania The Disco of Evil is also a websit (for those who're unfamiliar with it.)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 04:16:30 PM »
Anyone ever notice how racist Castlevania is? It's always a white guy with a whip. ;o Let's see some brother's as protagonist! :D

The 1999 game will have a brother with black sunglasses that among the Vampires he was known as "The Day Walker".

Don't you think It'd be cool if he make an appearance in Castlevania?

Tags:

anything