Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: PSP recommendations  (Read 6621 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: January 31, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm looking for PSP recommendations. I've had one since Dracula X Chronicles came out but I don't own a whole lot of games for it. I like sidescrollers, platformers, action-RPGs, but I'll take any recommendations. I know I want Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood! because the first is really fun albeit super tough, but beyond that I'm kind of unaware of what's good on the handheld.

I'm also interesting in the Ys games and Trails in the Sky, but I'm thinking I may just get a gaming PC and get those on Steam.

Here's what I have:

–Physical–
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
MediEvil: Resurrection
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man: Powered Up
Retro City Rampage DX (it's actually a mock-up from Vblank with a download code)
Silent Hill: Origins
The 3rd Birthday
Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins
Wipeout Pure

–Digital–
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (bought for the girlfriend)
Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl
LittleBigPlanet
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
ModNation Racers
Patapon
Patchwork Heroes
Piyotama
Power Stone Collection
Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:02:24 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 05:20:46 PM »
I'd recommend Ys Origins. Played it multiple times and it fits in nicely with Ys I & II. I have it on my PSVita.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:52:57 PM »
Monster Hunter if youre into those.
Dungeon Maker. Cool action rpgs where you build the dungeons yourself
Midnight Club LA Remix. Best racing game ever

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 07:13:07 PM »
I would point you towards Metal Slug XX...if it hadn't released on Steam just now with Leona included in the package.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:35:22 PM »
Actually have Ys Origin and Metal Slug XX on PS4. Even have the original DS version of the latter (MS7) that I picked up from a Kmart or Shopko or something, complete with slipcover.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:49:20 AM »
Jeanne D'Arc, Brave story: New traveler, Popolocrois, FF 4:complete collection & Wild Arms XF.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 10:38:28 PM »
Final Fantasy I & II Anniversary Edition
The God of War games
Lumines I & II
"Stuff and things."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 12:34:59 AM »
For music/rhythm games:
Taiko no Tatsujin series (fun to play and you get to learn some popular Japanese songs during the time it was released)
Project Diva (only if you love Vocaloid songs)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:38:29 AM »
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection, yeah I just bought this one myself quite recently. Basically 3 RPG's in one.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »
Sounds interesting. I've never been a big turn-based RPG fan, but I've been playing FFIV and EarthBound on SNES recently, they're definitely some pretty easy entry points and I'm growing more fond of the genre. I'm liking the story and presentation of FFIV, so an enhanced port/remake/whatever sounds cool.

Is the music on the PSP version the same badass music as on SNES, or is it remixed?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:51:39 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 12:05:07 AM »
Is the music on the PSP version the same badass music as on SNES, or is it remixed?
IIRC you have the option to pick between the SNES and DS versions.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 01:42:33 AM »
It makes me wish 5 and 6 got the same treatment, but nope. I personally want to get more RPG's into my collection, whether it's the GBA Golden Sun games, FF 1, 2, and 3 PSP (this one was Japan only but will play in English on a western PSP),  FF1 and 2, FF 3, 4,5, and 6 GBA, Tactics PSP, and GBA, and FF 4 DS, but doing so will be a large ass undertaking. Lunar Silver Star is another I want for PSP, but it is starting to get up there in price, but not as high as the PS1 version (there's the Saturn port, but I can't read Japanese, still not sure why I bought the Japanese Secret of Mana for SFC, guess I really wanted it in my collection). I do have Eternal Blue on PS1, it ran me $54 locally (Play N Trade), but sadly the Lunar 1 that was there, was long gone.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 01:47:52 AM »
Ah, the PSP, the Handheld that could.
Here's a "few" recommendations based on my experience;

Final Fantasy 3
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Gitaroo Man
Lumines
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood! (if you liked the original)
Ys: Chronicles
Ys: Oath in Felghana (exclusive music switch and "exclusive" VA (can be modded into the PC version)
Ys SEVEN (HEAVY RECOMMENDATION) (get all 3 Physical, it has a nice case lineup)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 (So good you'll probably pick up FF7 afterward)
Cave Stary (Signed, no CFW needed; was the only widescreen version of the game until the switch)
Final Fantasy Type-0 (Translated) (This is the best version of the game; looks and plays like the PSP is at it's absolute limit)
Edge (mini)
Burnout Legends (One of the best of the series)
Me and My Katamari
Persona 3 Portable (honestly prefer this over FES)
Half-Minute Hero (YES!)
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Guilty Gear Judgement (Great beat-em-up with #reload attached so you really get 2 games)
Gradius Collection (a must have)
Killzone: Liberation

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 02:10:54 AM »
Since you list Gradius Collection, aka Gradius Portable, one should also add Salamander Portable, Parodius Portable (though some music tracks got removed due to copyrights), and Twinbee Portable. Salamander Portable has the only home version of Xexex, which was originally supposed to be released on the PS2 in an Oretachi Geasen pack, but got crammed into Salamander Portable instead..... and it's blissful shmupping.

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 10:37:59 PM »
Valkyrie Profile, Valkyria Chronicles 2/3, and Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII are my personal favorites

Tags:

anything