Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anyone think Link (And Legend of Zelda) is overrated?  (Read 19038 times)

Silenced Gamer

Anyone think Link (And Legend of Zelda) is overrated?
« on: September 15, 2007, 06:54:28 PM »
Because I do.

I mean, honestly, the games are boring and repetitive, and the main character has like, no personality at all, and is the most cliched and generic main character I have EVER seen.

And when I look at polls on who your favorite video game character or game is, guess who gets 90% of the votes? You guessed it: Link, his game, and his cronies. This is especially true on GameFaqs, where Link has pretty much won EVERY single contest. Cloud beat him one time, but that's it.

So, yeah, Link (And Legend of Zelda) is the most overrated garbage ever to grace my eyes. Your opinions?

Offline Mr Sven

• Did Blow up Megaton City - Dirty Ghouls!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Anyone think Link (And Legend of Zelda) is overrated?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 07:10:30 PM »
I agree - the only Zelda games that come close to being good are the Phillips CD-I games.
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 07:13:03 PM »
Because I do.

I mean, honestly, the games are boring and repetitive, and the main character has like, no personality at all, and is the most cliched and generic main character I have EVER seen.

And when I look at polls on who your favorite video game character or game is, guess who gets 90% of the votes? You guessed it: Link, his game, and his cronies. This is especially true on GameFaqs, where Link has pretty much won EVERY single contest. Cloud beat him one time, but that's it.

So, yeah, Link (And Legend of Zelda) is the most overrated garbage ever to grace my eyes. Your opinions?

Your first sentence could actually categorize many game series out there. I'm quite sure there are other series out there that are far more worthy fit the title "garbage" and last time I've heard, it's part of  Miyamoto's ideology on the game to have Link behave in such a manner.

By far I don't agree that the series as a whole is an utter collection of trash. There is much to be pulled from the series, even if the "mindless and raving masses" enjoy it so.

Lately though, I haven't been enjoying the newer ones as much... it's losing it's charm on me sadly.   :(

Online Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:26:22 PM »
Link's Awakening and the N64 games are great. Never played the NES ones very much, and I found ALTTP to be boring.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 08:49:26 PM »
Link's Awakening and the N64 games are great. Never played the NES ones very much, and I found ALTTP to be boring.

I agree with almost everythign you said. Cept I never played Link's Awakening. I love the way Link is. I like his old school story of simpleness. Its the new ones where people think the main character should be a cocky gay lil piss asses that I hate. IE: Dante from DMC3, Tidus, and alot of other main characters.

Silenced Gamer

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 09:04:09 PM »
Still, I just think it's overrated... I don't even know where the fandom comes from, I mean, the games pretty much suck, they're all repetitive and annoying, the main character has no personality and is the tired, cliched old "Warrior who saves the princess" guy.

What do people see in these games and characters!?

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 02:10:15 AM »

Sadly, as said here many times, members of the so-called "gamefaqs" are mostly kids who have got no idea in real games.
Cloud, Link, Chrono (from Chrono Trigger), the main character in Diablo I & II, and many many other RPG heros belong to the group of "protagonists with no personality". I don't know why, but for some reason, many RPG developers choose to make the main character in their game with no personality, and it's up to the player to decide which options to choose, how to behave. Maybe RPG developers think that the player may connect to the character more easily if it has no personality.
Anyway, I really think that choosing a character with no personality as your favorite is quite retarded. Even very retarded.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 07:45:16 AM »
In Reply To #2

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7SoY71jLpEE (nsfw, language)
Zelda cd-i?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 07:46:59 AM by Slayer »
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 11:23:54 AM »
I like Zelda games very much.Zelda,Links awakening was my first rpg i ever play.Yes the last zelda games look the same,but that has been change with the new one for DS.Have you play it?It's a master peace.Try this one out and then take your final decision.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 01:56:44 PM »
Zelda set the standard as being the first game ever to implement a save feature. Be grateful.

Personally I choose Link to the Past as the pinnacle of the series. I can say that Twilight Princess is somewhat overrated.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 03:08:40 PM »
Its simple. Links an icon. Hes a lil 2 color guy on a top down 8bit first game ever to have a battery save feature (that still works today on a lot of carts) and along with Mario as one of the first big games ever on the NES hes part of what Nintendo is.

While he may have been created on a system where it has hard to have a lot of character development and background to give the hero an identity and personality they kept him that way in the newer games to retain part of the link to the games origin.

Its just like Mario if you see him you dont think of some cartoony looking plumber that goes up and down pipes and collects coins you think of the games and the Nintendo itself.

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 03:11:02 PM »
I don't know why....   ....Maybe RPG developers think that the player may connect to the character more easily if it has no personality.

You kinda answered yourself just there. /:o

Anyway, I really think that choosing a character with no personality as your favorite is quite retarded. Even very retarded.

Could you by chance entice me more on how retarded this is? I could as easily say how retarded some game developers are for over dramatizing their main characters with dialog, causing the game to clutter/complicate needlessly.

It's a different perspective of gaming and how certain characters should act. Some times it works very good and is needed in the particular types of games, other times it fails horribly. It's best to just live with it, "sweet and simple".
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:19:15 PM by ProtoBelmont »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 04:27:49 PM »
Well, one reason I like Link's simple sotyr is that it takes a simple story and does it good. Quite a few of RPGs try to complicate things and ..... well not all of them are very good. There are good ones, no doubt, like Xenogears but there just some ugh... ones I don't really like. Star Ocean is one of them, its not bad though, just not.... that great imo. Valkyrie Profile 2 as well, has a lame story.

Offline Blue Cheese

• SO DAMNED GOOD
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »
I have no problem with how Link acts. The blank slate personality sort of allows gamers to better project themselves into the role with out being over ridden by the "extreeeeme attitude" of the character. 

But I do agree that the games are sort of lessening in their impact.  Link's Awakening and ATtP are among my most favoritest games evar but beyond OoT, I've been like "oh...a new Zelda game. How quaint."

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 02:15:44 PM »
Yeah, most links out there seems to have no mind, whatsoever.  My favorite version of Link is the Windwaker one.  Even though This version doesn't talk, his facial expression gaves him more of a personality than the previous links.  He also is the only one who has a sister, let alone a grandmother.  The ALTTP also have a relative, but at the time it was made, it didn't seem like they can express a personality in link other than Text, which he lacks.

Tags: