Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "...the XBOX ONE, no longer an always be ready and connected console..."  (Read 53313 times)

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Re: "...the XBOX ONE, an always be ready and connected console..."
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »
+1
These console names are beginning to remind me a lot of soda gimmicks.
(click to show/hide)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »
+1
Like I said, Microsoft made it easy. Unless Sony comes out and says, "Derpa derpa derp, daaaah, we are dooing it too!", and then the world explodes, civilization ends and life starts anew with a firm warning to the new people, "Hey, stop being dicks or the world will DIE!".  ;D

It is funny too, considering this is a good example of anti-consumer practicing. Don't get me wrong, a lot of publishers are clamoring for this too. Y'know, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I would think a cornerstone of any good business is to respect your customers because, ultimately, they ARE the ones buying your products. Maybe it's just a concept that is floundering with every new generation. The "greed is good" mantra of the 80s is making a comeback, tenfold. But, there is some merit to valuing your customers. YOU make money BECAUSE of THEM. You're aim should be to please them and deliver, not only the best product possible, but a product so good your customer says, "Wow, I'm coming back for more!!". It's like the saying, "You can draw more flies with honey rather than vinegar". YOu give them something possitive and it's a Win-Win situation. The customer's happy because they ENJOY your product and service, and you, the company/business is happy because "Happy customers equals MOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!". More happy customers means MORE MONEY! The more happy people you can draw in with great products and services, the MORE MONEY YOU CAN BE ROLLIN IN!

Seriously, it almost seems like the whole "Goose that Laid the Golden Egg" story. You have the goose, symbolic of the consumer, laying a golden egg and is well tended to by it's owner. It leads a happy life, and continues to give back for being treated so well. Then, you have others(publishers) who wish to find the secret of the golden eggs. Maybe, if they kill the goose, cut it up, there's some magic means, like an orb or relic within the goose that, if they come to take hold over it, THEY have the power to make riches for themselves(pinch-penny greed and wealth on their own terms). Well, what happened? They killed the goose, cut it up, and there was nothing inside. From that day on, no more golden eggs were laid. That's it, baby.  :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:46:35 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »
+1

this is too hilarious.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
+1
Like I said, Microsoft made it easy. Unless Sony comes out and says, "Derpa derpa derp, daaaah, we are dooing it too!", and then the world explodes, civilization ends and life starts anew with a firm warning to the new people, "Hey, stop being dicks or the world will DIE!".  ;D

IIRC, Sony has denied that the PS4 will block used games. But that was back in February when the rumor about both console blocking used games went rampant so it's unknown whether or not they changed their minds since then. The best thing Sony can do now is confirm that the PS4 will allow used games without fee and they have my (and many others) purchase.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:21:32 PM by Kingshango »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
+1

this is too hilarious.
Holy crap, that's a clear sign M$ should just ditch the console market. LOL
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »
+1
Yeah. Fuck that shit. Can't say as I much care for PS4 either so far. I'm glad I got a Wii U. It has issues, but it's still fun and it doesn't have all those bullshit restrictions for games on physical media. Hmmm... it occurs to me that what they are trying to do is treat physical media like digital media. Fuck them. This is the kind of shit that makes me want learn how to jailbreak and softmod MS and SONY consoles, even though I don't have any, just so I can do it for other people.
Wii U is pretty much bad too, not as bad as Xbox one is sounding though.

Unless you like Nintendo franchises and don't care about all the third party games that won't be released on it. It does have, literally, one game that I want to play (Sonic Worlds), and it's not even released yet. It's flopping more than the gamecube too. :(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:10:41 AM by Maedhros »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »
To summarize:

- Forced online activation for all games
- Complex used games system that is anti consumer
- Charged fee for playing used games on non linked profile
- Console that needs to be connected to internet every 24 hours to play games
- Very few games shown at the event
- Massive emphasis on TV, services and non game related stuff
- Rumoured (relatively weak) hardware confirmed
- DDR3 confirmed instead of GDDR5
- Only 5GB of the 8GB ram available for games (a whopping 3GB reserved for the OS)
- No self publishing for games
- Epic PR disaster with conflicting reports from Microsoft and it's heads
- Xbox support on twitter going AWOL
- Microsoft's failed attempts to correct PR with contradicting FAQ's, vague responses, misinformation, lies etc
- Live TV available in US only at launch, requires separate device
- Lots of announced services are for US only
- Kinect needed to be plugged in for Xbox One to function
- Over emphasis on Kinect
- Always watching and on Kinect is a tad creepy
- Xbox One having non-replaceable Hard Drive's
- COD Ghosts not looking that great (and the only game that had actual direct gameplay shown)
- Xbox One not being backwards compatible with the 360
- Only HDMI for output, leaving people unable to use composite or component cables
- Console quite large whilst still also using quite a large external power brick
- No headset included
- Xbox One being called Xbox One...
- And more...?

And this is how "Always online" and "Game license" work

Since I can't post a thread due to my junior member status, here is the full breakdown + some theory filling in the gaps as to what MS has announced in regards to console operation so far.

Games have mandatory installation and can't be played off discs. Whenever a game disc is inserted and the game is not installed, an Xbox Live connection is required to initialize the install with a one-use key. On the first console you install the game on (main console that is associated with your account) the game will work for any user, and can be played without a disc in the console.

If the game disc is put in a console not mainly associated with your account, the game's install will be a limited one (where only your account is allowed to use it). If another user wants to play the game, they will be required to connect to Xbox Live and pay a fee (which is full price right now according to a statement). If the fee is paid, it becomes available to all users on the console.

Now for the second part. Everytime you log into your account, all the game licenses you have get activated for the console you're playing on (if this is your main console, it allows the game to be played by anyone, if it another, the license only applies to your account). This in turn sends out a deactivate license command to whichever other console had an active license for your games. So if that console happens to be connected to Xbox Live for a bit with whichever account, the games that are licensed to you will stop working right away.

Back to a console with an activated license. Once you disconnect from Xbox Live, a 24 hour timer starts on the game's license validity on that console. Once the license is up, you will be locked out of playing the game until you log back into Xbox Live with your account which will bring the licenses back to active status.

This is done by MS to prevent this type of scenario (with their game installation licenses):

Take a game like Skyrim which can take days if not weeks to complete and can be played completely offline for that amount of time.

Now User A has the license to Skyrim. He goes to User B and installs the game to Console B with his own account. Now User B disables the internet connection and plays Skyrim with User A's account for weeks on end, enjoying the game for free with no money spent on it while User A could also be playing Skyrim on his console while logged in online.

The only thing User B misses out on is achievements on his own account, but many people would not mind not getting achievements on their own account if they got to play games for free.

Anyways, with this 24 hour requirement. User B would only have a 24 hour period (rather than an infinite amount of time) to play Skyrim even while his Xbox was in complete offline mode and he was using User A's account offline.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:48:44 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
+1
Wow!

In the end, there will still be idiots who would buy this.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 12:57:08 AM »
+1
I just realized...the ones who lack common sense actually outnumber those who don't.
So yeah, sad thing is...this might actually turn up profit. Fuck.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 01:00:41 AM »
+1
That is why Microsoft will continue with this.
Kaching~! $$$

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 05:00:12 AM »
+1

Quote from: DragonSlayr81 on Yesterday at 07:02:59 PM
It is funny too, considering this is a good example of anti-consumer practicing. Don't get me wrong, a lot of publishers are clamoring for this too. Y'know, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I would think a cornerstone of any good business is to respect your customers because, ultimately, they ARE the ones buying your products. Maybe it's just a concept that is floundering with every new generation. The "greed is good" mantra of the 80s is making a comeback, tenfold. But, there is some merit to valuing your customers. YOU make money BECAUSE of THEM. You're aim should be to please them and deliver, not only the best product possible, but a product so good your customer says, "Wow, I'm coming back for more!!". It's like the saying, "You can draw more flies with honey rather than vinegar". YOu give them something possitive and it's a Win-Win situation. The customer's happy because they ENJOY your product and service, and you, the company/business is happy because "Happy customers equals MOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!". More happy customers means MORE MONEY! The more happy people you can draw in with great products and services, the MORE MONEY YOU CAN BE ROLLIN IN!

(Link edited by Jorge so that it shows)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAA1-SgLQhc#t=34s
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:55:44 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 06:50:49 AM »
+1
Wii U is pretty much bad too, not as bad as Xbox one is sounding though.

Unless you like Nintendo franchises and don't care about all the third party games that won't be released on it. It does, literally, one game that I want to play (Sonic Worlds), and it's not even released yet. It's flopping more than the gamecube too. :(

I have to disagree. The console itself is very good. It doesn't have any of the nonsensical shit we're talking about.
Is there a pathetic lack of third party support? Definitely. I blame the third parties for that. Notice how it's all the big name game publishers that have been right in the middle of PR disasters the last two years that are being the most bitchy about releasing games on the system. They set an example for others. And as with all the stupid decisions they've been making as of late, if they actually stopped to think about it they'd realize that the system would do a lot better with their support.
That said, it isn't doing so hot in the sales department, but I wouldn't call it a flop yet. At least it's doing better than the virtual boy?
Well, I did get the system because I knew there would be strong first party support, yes. I like my Mario, Zelda, and Metroid games.

Now, about the XB1. To add insult to injury. NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY WITH 360.
"Stuff and things."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 09:21:07 AM »
+1
Now, about the XB1. To add insult to injury. NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY WITH 360.
And to add salt to THAT wound:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562549

As one poster said, "It just keeps getting better!". These guys at Microsoft really know how to shoot themselves in the foot. First, Adam Orth mocking the consumers over their worrying regarding "always online", and now the "run-around" rhetoric seen by Microsoft staffers("higher ups" included) where they not only contradict each other, but say asinine stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=NAA1-SgLQhc#t=34s

THIS! See, those guys at Microsoft could use a few lessons in great customer service. Give us the fuckin PICKLE!!!! So could a lot of publishers, like EA especially. Remember publishers and developers, the only reason you are "big" is because WE made you big. Without a fanbase, and I'm not trying to be mean, you are NOTHING! We made you, we can break you! ;) Don't act like we owe you something, we are your customers, YOU are the ones that are supposed to vie over our attention. Remember, a happy customer is a well paying customer!

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »
+1
I have to disagree. The console itself is very good. It doesn't have any of the nonsensical shit we're talking about.
Is there a pathetic lack of third party support? Definitely. I blame the third parties for that. Notice how it's all the big name game publishers that have been right in the middle of PR disasters the last two years that are being the most bitchy about releasing games on the system. They set an example for others. And as with all the stupid decisions they've been making as of late, if they actually stopped to think about it they'd realize that the system would do a lot better with their support.
That said, it isn't doing so hot in the sales department, but I wouldn't call it a flop yet. At least it's doing better than the virtual boy?
Well, I did get the system because I knew there would be strong first party support, yes. I like my Mario, Zelda, and Metroid games.

It's selling worse than the freaking gamecube. If that's not a flop, I don't know what it is one them...

It's online is still not on par with the actual market, shitty OS (even with the update they did, it still sucks for 2013). Lot's of bad points. Yeah, it's better than XBone (lol), but it's not really that great too. It could be a lot better. Ah... it's gimmick point, as much as the 3DS 3D, didn't make the console sell at all. Most of the people don't even care about these two points.

Mario isn't guaranteed to sell consoles to the point of salvation... it can be a shitty Mario game, like Sunshine. Also... it's not like Nintendo cares about Metroid, F-Zero and other great franchises they had...

At least, they got Zelda... let's see what they can do with it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:18:13 AM by Maedhros »

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »
+1
And to add salt to THAT wound:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562549

As one poster said, "It just keeps getting better!". These guys at Microsoft really know how to shoot themselves in the foot. First, Adam Orth mocking the consumers over their worrying regarding "always online", and now the "run-around" rhetoric seen by Microsoft staffers("higher ups" included) where they not only contradict each other, but say asinine stuff like this.

You left out the best part!
Quote from:  Microsoft's Mattrick
If you’re backwards compatible, you’re really backwards,

Way to shit on all us retrogamers AND anyone who might assume that their XBLA purchases would carry over Microsoft. Gods of public relations you are.

Tags: