Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 458077 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #450 on: February 25, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »
I will admit the zombies look a little like CV3 zombies.

STILL BETTER THAN THE ARMS-OUTSTRETCHED-TATTERED-ROBE-WEARING ZOMBIES WE'VE ONLY SEEN RECYCLED ABOUT A BILLION TIMES IN THE SERIES

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #451 on: February 25, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
STILL BETTER THAN THE ARMS-OUTSTRETCHED-TATTERED-ROBE-WEARING ZOMBIES WE'VE ONLY SEEN RECYCLED ABOUT A BILLION TIMES IN THE SERIES

Sorry guys, not a good time for it, go away...  :'(
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #452 on: February 25, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
Your sprite work is excellent, as always! :)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #453 on: March 02, 2016, 10:18:55 PM »
Your sprite work is excellent, as always! :)

Means a lot coming from you man!

Today I come to explain how the ceremony to banish the castle was developed:

Many years before 1999, while studying a way to seal Dracula's Castle, Charlotte Aulin realized that banishing the castle with the powers available to humans was an impossible task. Her vast magical knowledge could counter demons and even minor, fallen gods, but it was not nearly enough to counter the darkness permeating the Demon Castle, which at this point was well-known to be a being born out of chaos, possessing power much beyond what any demon of fallen god had demonstrated -- power drawn from the human heart itself.

Charlotte, then, went back to her books. But this time she knew what to look for: A way to call upon the gods. In almost every creation myth, the gods are the only beings who could actually counter chaos and place order on the universe. If there was any power that could counter the Demon Castle's chaotic biology and intent, it had to be of godly origin. If this could not do it, then nothing else would.

Her research led her to recollect an old, forgotten legend from Japan -- There once was a young woman who came from foreign lands long ago, and who had the power to listen to the gods and relay their message to the mortal men. She was known by the japanese people of old as the "Voice of the Gods (神々の声 Kamigami no koe)" and word of her quickly spread across the demon-infested land, as she defended the common people from the demons by calling upon the gods to smite evil with their power. Eventually, the young woman earned great respect from the priests, and as she grew older, her powers expanded, allowing contact with much greater gods than before.

During her life, the woman had learned greatly from her own powers, from their origin to their peak, and relayed her knowledge and the word of the gods unto the priests, becoming a protector of the land until she died.

After the woman's passing, the priests built a temple at the place of her death, which exists to this day -- The Hakuba Shrine. Since then, the Hakubas maintained a special ceremony in honor of Tensho Daijin and her brothers, who, according to the teachings left by Kamigami no koe, were nearest to mankind during solar eclipses of an specific cycle, mirroring the old legend of Tensho Daijin's coming out from inside the Ama-no-Iwato thanks to her brothers' help.

Charlotte went to Japan, and sought the help of the current head priest Eisuke Hakuba. Explaining the dire situation that Dracula's revival represented to the world, Charlotte convinced the priest, and spent years in Japan learning their customs and methods from him, which were taught by Kamigami no koe long ago. Together, they planned a ceremony to be held in Romania in August 11th 1999, when the eclipse would bring the gods nearest to mankind -- at which point they would call forth the gods' strength to counter the Demon Castle's darkness, and finally seal its evil inside the eclipse, like Tensho Daijin's own dark intentions had been sealed inside the cavern in the legend.

Details:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:08:35 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #454 on: March 02, 2016, 10:40:39 PM »
(click to show/hide)
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #455 on: March 02, 2016, 11:14:10 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

So, all in all, she seemed to be the perfect explanation for the origin of this "god controlling" magic, for Alucard's absence and for some more details that explain what was Hammer doing at the shrine in 2035.

However, I'm still a bit conflicted with one detail. I think I'll make Alucard simply tell Charlotte about the magic hiding in Japan once she concludes that nothing can rival the castle besides the power of a god. As it is now, it appears as if Charlotte deduced that very important piece of info alone, while Alucard simply stood there, mouth shut but knowing it all. This is not very consistent.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:46:05 AM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #456 on: March 03, 2016, 09:48:22 AM »
and for the Morris to act purely as guardians of a weapon that couldn't fall in the wrong hands.

This part doesn't quite make sense to me. The Vampirekiller cannot be used by anyone outside of the Belmont bloodline. We saw what happened when Johnathon Morris himself used it; no different then swinging a chain around to hit things. But that was prior to the power being unlocked for him. If it did end up outside of the family the worst I could see happening is that it becomes lost, ends up in the hands of a privet collector, or becomes a museum piece. I suppose it could even end up being recycled for use in other materials, but the weapon would be considered a priceless antique so I highly doubt it. As for people with evil intent? I seriously doubt they could touch it. At least not without suffering some serious repercussions considering its very nature. And no creature born of darkness could even approach it without feeling its energies that were meant to kill them outright. Dracula's remains on the other hand. That's a well-known story.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #457 on: March 03, 2016, 02:25:54 PM »
This part doesn't quite make sense to me. The Vampirekiller cannot be used by anyone outside of the Belmont bloodline. We saw what happened when Johnathon Morris himself used it; no different then swinging a chain around to hit things. But that was prior to the power being unlocked for him. If it did end up outside of the family the worst I could see happening is that it becomes lost, ends up in the hands of a privet collector, or becomes a museum piece. I suppose it could even end up being recycled for use in other materials, but the weapon would be considered a priceless antique so I highly doubt it. As for people with evil intent? I seriously doubt they could touch it. At least not without suffering some serious repercussions considering its very nature. And no creature born of darkness could even approach it without feeling its energies that were meant to kill them outright. Dracula's remains on the other hand. That's a well-known story.

At this point in time, wrong hands encompasses everyone who is not a Morris -- including the Belmonts. They must not touch the whip until the crack on their souls is cured, otherwise it will reject them to an irreversible state, causing it to become useless (important of note here is that no one knows about this. Eric Lecarde is told only that the reason is the prophecy, but the true reason is not revealed to anyone - Until Umbra).

Beyond the Belmonts, there are everyone else. They being wrong doesn't mean they mean to do evil with it, but they would still be wrong anyway. Something so important like the Vampire Killer is not something to be kept anywhere by anyone SPECIALLY if they don't know what the whip is.

As you said, it could be lost, or put up to display in a museum (which already are two dangerous things to happen), but there is more: It could get damaged or destroyed accidentally or not. As far as we know the whip does not have indestructible qualities. And you're right, creatures with affinity for evil are (probably) not able to get near the whip BUT we know a Belmont can be made to wield it to do evil things in their place. If a Belmont can be controlled to wield it, who is to say a normal person can't be controlled to actually destroy the whip?

So there are many good reasons why it must be guarded so that it doesn't fall "in the wrong hands." It's more about protecting its integrity and usefulness. If a Belmont wields it before the right time, the soul defect will increase the whip's rejection.

In another note: I'm looking for a better way to write the response you quoted. There is too much room for misinterpretation in some parts, and the order or reason for some events must be reworked.

The bottom line is: The whip was passed to the Morris before Alucard and Maria departed from Romania. The Morris were primarily intended to only keep the whip safe, and their training was a secondary measure in case the Belmonts did not recover in time. It was only after Shanoa destroyed Dracula that Alucard returned, and at this point it became clear that the Belmonts needed more time to recover. So the secondary plan for the Morris was set in motion: Have then wield the whip.

And, again, this is where the Lecardes come in. The Morris simply CAN'T face Dracula alone like the Belmonts with a whip that doesn't work in their hands.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:00:22 PM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #458 on: March 05, 2016, 10:12:21 AM »
At this point in time, wrong hands encompasses everyone who is not a Morris -- including the Belmonts. They must not touch the whip until the crack on their souls is cured, otherwise it will reject them to an irreversible state, causing it to become useless (important of note here is that no one knows about this. Eric Lecarde is told only that the reason is the prophecy, but the true reason is not revealed to anyone - Until Umbra).

Beyond the Belmonts, there are everyone else. They being wrong doesn't mean they mean to do evil with it, but they would still be wrong anyway. Something so important like the Vampire Killer is not something to be kept anywhere by anyone SPECIALLY if they don't know what the whip is.

As you said, it could be lost, or put up to display in a museum (which already are two dangerous things to happen), but there is more: It could get damaged or destroyed accidentally or not. As far as we know the whip does not have indestructible qualities. And you're right, creatures with affinity for evil are (probably) not able to get near the whip BUT we know a Belmont can be made to wield it to do evil things in their place. If a Belmont can be controlled to wield it, who is to say a normal person can't be controlled to actually destroy the whip?

So there are many good reasons why it must be guarded so that it doesn't fall "in the wrong hands." It's more about protecting its integrity and usefulness. If a Belmont wields it before the right time, the soul defect will increase the whip's rejection.

True enough. I didn't consider the part that the wrong hands could also mean your basic everyday Joe.
In another note: I'm looking for a better way to write the response you quoted. There is too much room for misinterpretation in some parts, and the order or reason for some events must be reworked.

Which quote could that be? Can you show me?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #459 on: March 05, 2016, 04:40:15 PM »
Which quote could that be? Can you show me?

The entire response, actually. That's why I place it inside spoiler tags. The response is not yet fully developed.

For instance: As of now, Alucard is pretty much shooting in the dark, everywhere. Not because the story requires, but because I was unable to write it properly yet. Simply telling Maria off doesn't solve the issue because Alucard would know damn well a faster answer could come from Maria's development in Japan. Though here I know more or less what to do.

Another issue is the order of events. I'm organizing it on a timeline, but there's still something off. I'm not really sure about when the whip gets to the Morris or when does Maria move to Japan (and if Alucard goes with her or not). Though things are fitting neatly, I still need to put more care into it before giving the proper response.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:41:46 PM by theplottwist »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #460 on: March 08, 2016, 10:15:13 PM »
OK so I said I have a simplified timeline leading up to Umbra. Here's what it is looking like now. But keep in mind not ALL details are working. There are one or two things not clicking juuuuuuust yet.

Timeline:

(click to show/hide)

Details:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:22:01 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #461 on: March 09, 2016, 12:34:18 PM »
Nice work on the story.

One question I have about this project pertains to the title.

Why have you chosen an "of Sorrow" title? I typically associate that with the Soma storyline.

Just curios what your reason for that is.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #462 on: March 09, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »
Nice work on the story.

One question I have about this project pertains to the title.

Why have you chosen an "of Sorrow" title? I typically associate that with the Soma storyline.

Just curios what your reason for that is.

"Sorrow" because this story would be the beginning of Sorrow series outside Japan (Aria and Dawn). Ergo "Umbra of Sorrow" is the reason for Aria and Dawn to exist, storytelling speaking. If not for the umbra that will be the castle's prison, there wouldn't be other "Sorrow" games (again, on the storytelling sense, of course). And more than that, "Umbra of Sorrow" refers to Dracula's own sorrow upon his demise.

Though I understand your point. "Sorrow" is indeed associated with Soma. In this story, Soma's existence will be explained and he will appear at a certain point so all the threads are connected.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:23:29 PM by theplottwist »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #463 on: March 10, 2016, 07:45:54 AM »
So, today I bring you Alucard, in vampire form!

And with this, the explanation behind this form:

When Alucard started guarding the Belmonts, he became unable to fight Dracula together with the Morris clan. So he sealed his powers in his equipment, and forged a weapon from them using alchemy -- the Alucard Spear. This was his way to lend his power to the people who would fight in his place to prevent Dracula's revival. Although the spear carries Alucard's powers, its full potential is locked by a key (a ring, in fact) kept by Alucard so it doesn't overwhelm the spear's user. The ring also contains a small fraction of his power so he can defend himself if needed. As he sealed his powers into the spear, his hair turned black and his human side became prominent.

In 1999, Alucard recovered his spear, as himself had predicted he would one day. With his spear in hand, Alucard is able to tap again on his full power by separating it back into his equipment. Yet, for having spent one century without them, he is not able to fully submerge himself on this vampire form, only separating the spear to use them for short periods of time.

While in vampire form, Alucard has enough power to keep the Sword Familiar out of its card. His hair turns platinum blonde once more and his vampiric features become apparent. The vampire form grows stronger as the spear evolves.

Now, this is where this all comes from:

-Remember how in Dawn's Julius Mode, Alucard had to dress himself up to "unlock his powers", including having his hair turn platinum blonde again? This is the explanation. He did it by fully disassembling the spear to face Soma.

-The "key" to unlock this power is a special ring. In Aria, when Genya executes the "Soul Steal" to protect Soma and Mina, you can see a glimmer in his hand. THAT is the ring containing a small fraction of his power -- just enough to defend himself -- that can disassemble the spear.

-Fusing equipment into other equipment is not new to this Alucard. Hector was doing that centuries before him, and it's heavily implied to be alchemy. The Alucard Spear is merely a fusion of the Alucard Mail, Alucard Sword and Alucard Shield.

-Pieces of equipment CAN contain someone's powers, as is the case with Dracula's Tunic.

Yes. I turned Alucard into a magical girl.

Don't forget to check the artwork in its full size at Junki's page.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:42:42 PM by theplottwist »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #464 on: March 10, 2016, 08:05:42 AM »
Yes. I turned Alucard into a magical girl.
Well, at least he didn't have to make a contract with a shifty creature or another. :V
Sprite when tho? :P
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags: 1999 Awes 

anything