Poll

Is SotN the best video game OST of all time?

Yes absolutely
5 (31.3%)
No
1 (6.3%)
It’s good, but other soundtracks are better
7 (43.8%)
Alucard Sword
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SotN has the best soundtrack ever  (Read 2332 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« on: October 27, 2023, 06:01:22 PM »
In honor of Halloween, I’ve been bumping the Symphony soundtrack all month and it still slaps. Every single track, perfectly composed and I don’t believe it’s ever been matched in gaming to this day. Do y’all agree?

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RDAKiQ8m4C_CY&playnext=1&si=VvMtuKBpdcIurTzo

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RDXfuQuRrE-ZI&playnext=1&si=MLVQBDr7j9_jVUmn

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 08:08:58 PM »
+2
I voted Yuz, absotootly. There are soundtracks I like more, but its quality of compositions and production are undeniable. As a 12- and 13-year-old, I wished I'd had the CD so I could bring it places and show people its majesty. They would have beaten me up and called me a pejorative, but I didn't know any better.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 04:06:33 PM »
+1
Yeah, it's still unmatched 26 years later.  I think the closest Castlevania soundtrack in terms of quality is Lament of Innocence, but SotN is clearly superior.

There are some great game soundtrack out there, but nothing as consistently good as Castlevania.  Gradius Gaiden comes close to SotN but is still not brilliant enough to top it.  Shadow of the Colossus is top-notch.  Final Fantasy has some really well done soundtracks.  Okami is pretty great, although five discs of Japanese folk music gets old quickly.  Silent Hill 2 has awesome music, but too much of the OST is awful cacaphonic noise that I can't get behind.  Timespinner is great - good enough that I bought the physical soundtrack, and that doesn't happen much these days.  Those are the only really notable soundtracks to come to mind.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 04:33:28 AM »
+1
It’s up there. Top 5 for sure, up there with FFVII, Alundra and Guardian Heroes for me personally.

Lost Painting is one of the best tracks to ever grace a video game.

SOTN’s soundtrack fits together very well (when the player transitions from area to area), which is as difficult as having a boss OST.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 06:14:50 AM »
Silent Hill 2 has awesome music, but too much of the OST is awful cacaphonic noise that I can't get behind.

Partly why it and Silent Hill 3 are two of my top favorite OSTs. Industrial goodness. They're not nearly as noisy as SH1, at least—that soundtrack actually kinda scares me a little when listening outside of the game.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 04:16:04 PM »
+1
I'm not surprised that you like those tracks.  I'm glad somebody does.  It's strangely comforting to me that I can come back to these forums some 20 years later and still find you raving about Skinny Puppy.   ;D

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 04:08:05 PM »
These old bones will never change.

Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 01:07:09 AM »
For Castlevania, maybe, but for all the old games I've played over the years, not quite.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 12:31:28 AM »
Legit, this same thought came to me over the Halloween season as I was putting together my various October playlists.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Hiryu

• Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 03:49:04 PM »
Crystal Teardrop still amazes me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxEdkh4lYUQ

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 08:08:27 AM »
+1
I don't remember where I read it (VGMdb possibly, or a social media post), but apparently Silent Hill's own Akira Yamaoka did the drum programming for "Crystal Teardrop". Gooooood stuff.

Edit: Guess I posted about it millennia ago. Too bad I can't seem to access the GhM podcast anymore, but it sounds like Yamaoka did all of the drum programming for SOTN, or more than just one song. He's credited for "Rythme arrange" on two tracks, but no mention of programming in the credits.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 03:44:46 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2023, 04:26:56 AM »
I agree, Symphony of the Night is my soundtrack favorite overall.  Mega Man 3 is second.

Tags: