Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Japanese Castlevania III title confusion  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: November 02, 2008, 10:01:38 AM »
I've always thought it was Akumajo Densetsu, "Legend of the Demon Castle" or something. But then I started seeing logos of it saying Dracula Densetsu. But I've also seen logos for Akumajo Densetsu!

What the hell??? Which is it?

Edit: Shit on me, I'm retarded. Somehow I saw the Japanese Castlevania Adventure logo and thought I was looking at CV3's. ;p

Topic locked and duhleatid? ha ha

Though another discussion is that I find the series to have a really weird naming system in Japan. So there's Demon Castle Dracula, and then Dracula II: The Accursed Seal, and then Legend of Demon Castle. Really weird for 2 to not have "Demon Castle" in it, and 3's title to not even mention Dracula. And then of course there's like the five or so games named Demon Castle Dracula, and then there's Vampire Killer, and Castlevania, and the fact that COTM is still Akumajo Dracula in Japan, yet takes the English subtitle Circle of the Moon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 10:08:13 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Mathias Hyperion

• Vampire Hunter
  • Wanderer in time and space
    • The Forgotten Library
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Japanese Castlevania III title confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:57:24 PM »
Though another discussion is that I find the series to have a really weird naming system in Japan. So there's Demon Castle Dracula, and then Dracula II: The Accursed Seal, and then Legend of Demon Castle. Really weird for 2 to not have "Demon Castle" in it, and 3's title to not even mention Dracula.

I suppose it's somewhat like Jak & Daxter, which we NEVER SAW AGAIN. We had Jak and we had Daxter, and Daxter is in Jak and Jak is in Daxter, but we never had the title Jak & Daxter again.
"These are dark times. Times without hope." - Zobek

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 01:35:58 PM »
And then of course there's like the five or so games named Demon Castle Dracula, and then there's Vampire Killer, and Castlevania, and the fact that COTM is still Akumajo Dracula in Japan, yet takes the English subtitle Circle of the Moon.

Those are due to IGA's (failed) attempt to universalize the Castlevania name a la Dr. Eggman a few years ago.

Releasing LoI as simply "Castlevania" in Japan was an exceptionally retarded idea.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:38:12 PM by Super Waffle »

Offline Mathias Hyperion

• Vampire Hunter
  • Wanderer in time and space
    • The Forgotten Library
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
In Reply To #3

The problem was that it didn't make sense. "Castlevania" is an English language pun, and loses that in translation, especially when it becomes "Kyassuruvania"...
"These are dark times. Times without hope." - Zobek

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
Because Japan never uses abstract English words for the names of its own games.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 11:44:09 PM »
In my retardation I forgot where I was going with the title Vampire Killer. Apart from being an English title of a Japanese game, the MSX2 game's English title was also Vampire Killer.

And what the hell, three different games named Castlevania--NES and N64 here, PS2 over there.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:45:23 AM »
In Reply To #5

As Super Waffle commented, Japan usually uses english to make combined words

For instance, BluBlaze and Pokemon;  The later is obviously Pokect and Monsters mushed together.

From whaqt I recall, in japanese diction, it is common to mush two different together, makin them somethin new.  The title of Contra is two words that were made to into a brand new one

So Castlevania would make sense in Japan, but because the series was made in Japan and was called something else for several decades, it would piss off some fans that a series they grew up with is now called by it's 2nd name

Some are pissed that Robotnik is referred to as Eggman now.

It is like if zelda was called Triangle gems in some foreign country and then changed it to that name globally.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »
Uh, what? Contra is a word. I think it's something like a synonym for "counter," as in "counterattack." Could be wrong. Either way, I think it's a word ripped straight out of another language.

Plus it's the name of a rebel group or a bunch of rebel groups in Nicaragua. Not sure if they still exist.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:29:49 PM »
Uh, what? Contra is a word. I think it's something like a synonym for "counter," as in "counterattack." Could be wrong. Either way, I think it's a word ripped straight out of another language.

Plus it's the name of a rebel group or a bunch of rebel groups in Nicaragua. Not sure if they still exist.

No duh Contra is a word!! I live in a city that is near contra costa county so I know it is a word.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:31:30 PM by le052383 »

Tags: