Poll

Which voice actor do you think performed best as Dracula?

Scott McCulloch
3 (18.8%)
Crispin Freeman
5 (31.3%)
Douglas Rye
2 (12.5%)
Patrick Seitz
3 (18.8%)
Grant George
0 (0%)
Robert Carlyle
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Favorite Dracula English voice performance? (spoilers within)  (Read 17278 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Favorite Dracula English voice performance? (spoilers within)
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »
^Topic

Pick the actor and tell why you feel they performed the best as Dracula/Dracul.

Actor information:
Scott McCulloch - English voice actor in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Castlevania (Nintendo 64)
Crispin Freeman - English voice actor in Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
Douglas Rye - English voice actor in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Patrick Seitz - English voice actor in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, Castlevania Judgment, Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth, and Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (Actual Dracula)
Grant George - English voice actor in Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (Soma)
Robert Carlyle - English voice actor in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

My favorite actor for him is undoubtedly Crispin Freeman. Despite having only one (lengthy) speech in LoI, I very much enjoyed the way he delivered all the lines he had. He really let the emotion show, and I loved the role.

Patrick Seitz wasn't a bad replacement. He delivered all his lines spectacularly, but I enjoyed Freeman's voice more. Douglas Rye was good during dialogue, but left a LOT to be desired during gameplay. Scott McCulloch was probably the only good voice in the original SotN, but had a case of overacting sometimes. And then Robert Carlyle delivers some of the lines underwhelmingly ("I am the Dragon! Dracul!").
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
Re: Favorite Dracula English voice performance? (spoilers within)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »
It's a tough choice between Douglas Rye and Patrick Seitz. I think of them as the Sean Connery and Roger Moore of Dracula VAs. Seitz can pull off a more theatrical Drac while Rye does a menacing-yet-lord-like Dracula. But if I have to choose one, Rye. His performance in CoD is many levels of awesome. I'd love to hear him again in the role. Seitz could keep on doing the younger forms of the big D.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:00:08 PM by Santa Count »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »
I went with Patrick Seitz. I personally love his "Oh but this world invited me" line. He has that smooth evil lord voice I personally picture Dracula having.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
Scott McCulloch definitely is the best Dracula for classic reasons. Old fart of darkness, his arrogance suited the character. One of my favourite Dracula's VA in the series.

As Mathias, Crispin Freeman did a phenomenal work with the character... But outside Castlevania, he did do Alucard from the "Hellsing Series" and killed the English dub. I knew that show was meant for the English dubbing, so he is the best non-Castlevania Dracula out there.

Douglas Rye??? I thought it was Patrick Seitz the whole time. They both have that "high class, sophisticated, evil mastermind" to their Dracula that they actually pretty sounded similar to me and I just found out that they were different people after your post.  ;D

Soma's voice was exactly as I predicted. It was perfect. It was like the Japanese Seiyuu was doing the English dub as well.

Robert Carlyle is actually a pretty good actor. I watched a movie called, Hitler: Rise of Evil in my social class, guess who played Hitler? I was surprised when I saw his name in the E3 trailer... He had the perfect voice for Gabriel, but I wondered how Gerard Butler would sound like since he was originally meant to play the role, but he was busy and he would have experience since he played both Rise of Dracula and Dracula 2000. To me, Robert Carlyle plays a better Belmont than the Infamous Villain. They should have switched the actors just for the hell of it...

They're all good actors and they served their purpose and didn't let me down.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:08:31 PM »
I personally love his "Oh but this world invited me" line.

Not to mention what I personally consider the best (comeback) line in the otherwise dreadful Judgment:

youtube.com/watch?v=2VHxIf7zPOg#t=1m53s

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:14:41 PM by Santa Count »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »
Not to mention what I personally consider the best (comeback) line in the otherwise dreadful Judgment:

youtube.com/watch?v=2VHxIf7zPOg#t=1m53s

Yup another smooth badass line.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 07:38:51 AM »
I love Carlyle's performance in the LoS saga, and I think he may do a better Dracula than Belmont.

I enjoyed a lot Patrick Seitz's voice acting too. His voice was perfect in Judgment.

Offline SiFi270

• The Red Cyclone
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2209069/SiFi270
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 08:27:05 AM »
Crispin Freeman is my favorite actor to play Dracula in anything. Second is Christopher BLee
Pfft. Like anything's ever going here

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »
I have to say Crispin Freeman is my favorite.  It's just something about his voice.  It just seems perfect for dark natured characters.  He was good as Mathias/Dracula in LoI, great as Hector in CoD, and outstanding as "Alucard" in the English dub of the Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate anime series.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »
Had to go with Robert Carlyle. His performance was amazing and the dialogue from the second Lords of Shadow 2 trailer definitely put him over the top. I could believe his ire, his indignation, and his certainty his determination to not only regain his former glory but to make all of creation pay sent chills down my spine.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:21:40 PM »
Poor Grant George gets no love. XD

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »
Poor Grant George gets no love. XD

Not surprising though. He only voiced Dracula one time. And while of course it's true Crispin Freeman only voiced Dracula once, he's Crispin Freeman.  8)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »
Not to mention George didn't voice our dark, sinister Dracula, but rather kind, light-hearted Soma instead. I'd love to hear George do a performance of Somacula, though.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »
Crispin Freeman is just awesome. So over the top hammy. Id love to hear him do more Dracula in the future.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline sannyclause

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
HO HO HO douglas rye, i loved the way he said his lines, especialy " humans are not worth the air they breathe", carlyle did decent as did patrick seitz :)

Tags:

anything