Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The N64 Games..lost to time?  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Dongled

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« on: May 23, 2022, 07:59:52 PM »
I've been thinking a bit about the two N64 games: Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness. Specifically about the games being ported. Konami has proven that they're ok with rereleasing side story or non-Iga canon games like Kid Dracula and Circle of the Moon...but what about the N64 games?
Do we think Konami will ever rerelease these properly in a sort of collection? (Maybe bundled with Castlevania Legends since they skipped that one on the Anniversary Collection.) Or are these games meant to be relegated to the system they came out on forever? Just curious on everyone's thoughts on this.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 09:07:20 PM »
I doubt Konami will ever touch them again.  N64 games don't emulate particularly well, and Konami doesn't like to put effort into anything these days.  And those games have a (undeservedly) terrible reputation, even among part of the Castlevania fanbase.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 09:57:37 PM »
It's unfortunate that Konami isn't more invested in CV then we are. I have doubts that they'll touch these two titles, in favor of porting the other two 3D igavanias instead. CV Legends should have been released with the CV classic collection instead of Kid Dracula, no question. I feel that the two CV 64 titles could work out well if given "proper" treatment and then released on newer consoles. I think what I would love to see would be a lost chronicles collection of CV games. The two CV 64 titles as well as a fully reconstructed CV Resurrection. However it won't happen as it's just wishful thinking on my part  :-\
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 05:55:20 AM »
Porting the N64 games will require a little bit of "effort". Imagine, something a bit harder than emulating your old 2d games on an overpriced PS4/Switch compilation or mini console. And like others have said, most people have already decided these games suck, and that SotN is the besto game, coz interweb says so.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 07:29:57 AM »
My dream 3D Collection would include the 2 N64 games, 2 PS2 games, The Arcade, and a playable demo of Resurrection.  Lords of Shadows shouldn’t be bundled with anything other than other Lords of Shadows games.  I suppose they could throw in Judgment if they wanted.  Actually a more tight Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, and Judgment would make a decent collection as long as they don’t just skip rereleasing the N64 games altogether.  Maybe those could be bundled with the Resurrection demo.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 07:35:05 AM by Reinhart77 »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 05:13:27 AM »
The appropriate time & place would’ve been the 3ds… Not only were there other remakes occurring, namely Zelda, this would’ve attracted attention and boosted sales. Not to mention people love the idea of owning handheld-Vania of any kind, specifically on a Nintendo console.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 01:26:00 PM »
The appropriate time & place would’ve been the 3ds… Not only were there other remakes occurring, namely Zelda, this would’ve attracted attention and boosted sales. Not to mention people love the idea of owning handheld-Vania of any kind, specifically on a Nintendo console.

This issue with this is Konami was very much in a "forget everything you know about Castlevania" with a scorched earth mindset to the older games in favor of the reboot. Remember how people were drooling at the idea of IGA making a 3DS game in the rebooted continuity and then all we got was one of the worst 3DS games on the platform from Mercurysteam?  :-X

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 02:22:04 PM »
This issue with this is Konami was very much in a "forget everything you know about Castlevania" with a scorched earth mindset to the older games in favor of the reboot. Remember how people were drooling at the idea of IGA making a 3DS game in the rebooted continuity and then all we got was one of the worst 3DS games on the platform from Mercurysteam?  :-X

Yes. Mirror of fate initially looked promising, but turned out to be a cheap replica of the original product, which had no soul… Just like its Alucard….. & Konami.

It’s honestly the worst Castlevania game to this day. I still can’t believe MSteam made Samus Returns & Metroid Dread, as I believe they’re good games.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 03:55:20 AM »
It's likely that if the N64 games showed up, it would be via Nintendo Switch Online... With a lot of porting tweaks provided by Nintendo, as they load their games with tweaks to work better (most of the time).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: