Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: if people knew all languages, there would be more understanding + respect  (Read 5900 times)

Offline Saner

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
its very cool seeing people learn different language and communicating with foreigners despite the language barrier, not everyone has the determination to learn another language, so it's really something great seeing people having the ethusiasm to improve their knowledge in other language :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-dbwNkx2s

like take for example this other video, only those that understand the language can understand what is being said.  so it would be greater understood from those that understand the language, though music wise, it can still be appreciated, language wise, much of the meaning, expression and words are not seen by those that dont understand the language. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb0Xo6jbZRY

though its not shameful to skip learning other languages, its very hard and requires lots of dedication and depending on things, there is little use in knowing other languages if people dont have enough incentives to use extra languages, plus learning languages is easier at a younger age, and most are satisfied knowing one or two languages, usually their countries native language, and their family language if their family happens to have a different language background.  every language has its advantages.

though overall, I think if people knew all languages, they would be able to understand each other's outward thoughts, and there wouldn't be barriers in communication overall and there would be greater respect and stuff.

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Well it's a complicated subject, TC.  For generations civilizations have developed translations and gateways to learn other languages, so there are ways to learn other languages, it just requires effort. 

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
that's one of the reasons i (kinda) speak/am slowly learning like eight, it's fascinating learning how different parts of the world formed them

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Google tells me there are over 6,000 languages out there.  Are you really suggesting all people learn all languages?  Most young people in the USA can't even figure out the difference between there, they're, and their.  It would be far easier trying to teach all people one language.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
yeah but then some jackasses built some bigass tower that pissed off space beard and fucked everything up obviously

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
In my opinion, once you start learning a language other than your native + family language, it is easier to learn another language of the same family, even if you started learning as an adult. Truthfully, the biggest barrier is motivation and persistence for learning the language, because you are technically cramming years of learning (from child to adult) into a year or few years of study to catch up to the adult level. Still there is an issue on how much you can absorb. lol

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Speaking multiple languages would lead to lesser strife amongst people of other nationalities. However language is not enough. We would have to eliminate the one primal element of ourselves that most don't even want to consider; our ego.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Studying in another country was a great experience for me, as I met people from different countries and we all hanged out as friends. I truly think a world community can be formed if people really want to form it.
However, I also learned that there are cultural differences that are hard to bridge. And class determines culture no less than geography and language. One of the reasons why it was so easy for us to befriend each other was because we were all young, middle class, fairly secular, liberal, and well-educated. I met two women, one from Egypt and one from Pakistan, whom I befriended despite being from Israel. It wouldn't be that easy for me to do it if we didn't share the same class and the same appreciation for Western culture and education. I almost cried after talking to the girl from Pakistan (it is a country that my country doesn't have diplomatic relations with, so we can't legally visit each other). She broke misconceptions that I had about her country and it was so easy for us to communicate and share in the UK.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
LOVE is the universal language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:53:36 PM by crisis »

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
Just do something like the ending of Gundam 00 where we constantly hear each other's thoughts and we all go crazy like the kid in Stir of Echoes.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
Re: if people knew all languages, there would be more understanding + respect
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 09:25:02 PM »
Studying in another country was a great experience for me, as I met people from different countries and we all hanged out as friends. I truly think a world community can be formed if people really want to form it.
However, I also learned that there are cultural differences that are hard to bridge. And class determines culture no less than geography and language. One of the reasons why it was so easy for us to befriend each other was because we were all young, middle class, fairly secular, liberal, and well-educated. I met two women, one from Egypt and one from Pakistan, whom I befriended despite being from Israel. It wouldn't be that easy for me to do it if we didn't share the same class and the same appreciation for Western culture and education. I almost cried after talking to the girl from Pakistan (it is a country that my country doesn't have diplomatic relations with, so we can't legally visit each other). She broke misconceptions that I had about her country and it was so easy for us to communicate and share in the UK.

Yes. It is an eye opening experience to study in another country. I really suggest to do that and avail of opportunities to study abroad while you are still young.
Culture and class are big things too. Its the unspoken things and biases that sometimes gets interpreted wrongly.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 06:32:32 AM »
that's definitely a leg up in learning a new language--a textbook or class will tend to teach "the cat is now upon the table" or some such shit you would never say in conversation; learning it whilst in its country of origin will give you a MUCH clearer picture of what to learn and how you learn it

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 12:52:46 PM »
I lost count of how much hassle I gotten myself into on the internet because the way I express certain ideas isn't exactly understood by a person of another language (and vice versa). I've been labeled anything from arrogant to batshit insane.

No use crying over spilled milk, I guess. But indeed, knowing other languages does really help your understanding of other people's perspective. In fact, science has already backed this up.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:16:10 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 09:22:07 PM »
In fact, science has already backed this up.

I would agree. Haha.
When I'm in Japan or talking to Japanese speakers, I have to shut down my other languages. The most difficult part is immediate verbal translation from Japanese to English and vice versa. Shit gets crazy, but it can be trained I guess.
And if you just let me be, I code switch easily among several languages in daily conversation, provided I know the person I'm talking to has the capability to understand me. LOL

Tags: