Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1051794 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:48:17 AM »
Hi Gang,

This thread is for anyone in need of sprites/tiles from games, whether custom or original.  
This is also a good thread to showcase any work you guys have been working on.  We have a lot of talent in this Forum, as well as people in need of resources for whatever projects they need.

So if you have a request, or you saw a cool spritesheet somewhere and want to show it, feel free to do so here.
Note:  Please do not hotlink to sprite sites (Spriters Resource, Pixelation.net, Shyguy Kingdom).  This is for something you either created, found (that cannot be credited anywhere), or ripped on your own.  If a sprite artist gives you permission, you may put up their works, as long as you host the image somewhere.

You can also showcase maps and palettes you may have worked on.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »
Great idea! :)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
Not particularly promoting Sprites Inc, or any other sprite website since I typically do all my own sprite rips. However, I think we should list, probably in the first post, known sites for sprites.

Sprites Inc is one;
http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/vania/

Sprites Inc use to have some lax policy on quality, but they've seemed to have gotten somewhat better at least. They probably have the largest collection, and most complete per game. Though they haven't updated since 09', so it doesn't have OoE. I wouldn't take their sprites as gospel, since they do make mistakes, miss things, or improperly format things from time to time, but it may be a good start and or general idea of what is out there. I can't honestly think of any other sites at this time with remotely respectable quality, as like I say, I get nearly all my rips privately.

Offline Neflyte

• Castlevania Tour Guide
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:48:22 PM »
I have an odd request, I'd like to have a CVC-styled Simon Belmont sprite that would fit in with the COTM style. I like the COTM style, it reminds me of the classic Castlevanias. Anyone think that would be possible?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
What exactly do you need it for?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:30:50 PM »
I have an odd request, I'd like to have a CVC-styled Simon Belmont sprite that would fit in with the COTM style. I like the COTM style, it reminds me of the classic Castlevanias. Anyone think that would be possible?
It's definitely possible, but you should probably provide a template.  So you mean a CVChronicles Simon Belmont with the dimensions of CotM's characters (small & slender) and the same types of animations?

////////////////////////////////

I'm showcasing Simon's Quest's Simon Belmont, by the way, based on the box art.
The hair and the armor can be palette-swapped to different colors (so you can have him blonde just like the boxart, or redhaired, like CVChronicles, or brown haired like how I have it, and how CV4 has him).
The box art seems to use cloth gloves and cloth boots.  I went with silver gauntlets and silver leggings instead.  Although those can be palette-swapped, you'd have to alter the gambeson color along with them because it shares a few of the indigo colors.

More to come later.  Here's an animation for now.

Stance (in a safe place like a town)
Stance (action stance, classic, any dangerous area)
Walking animation 1-2 (can't go back to 1-1 now, I overwrote it)
**New** Crouching!  Crouches from the town stance and from the action stance.
**New** Jumping prototype.  Just the beginning jumping frame.  I don't know if I want him to just have a hop and a fall animation (above) like CVChronicles, or a full jump/approach/apex/drop/fall like Richter.  VERSION1-3- Now shows a forward jump and a straight-up jump (in a more classic sense, the straight-up jump has him 'crouching' at the apex of the jump).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:43:27 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
The hair and the armor can be palette-swapped to different colors (so you can have him blonde just like the boxart, or redhaired, like CVChronicles, or brown haired like how I have it, and how CV4 has him).
The box art seems to use cloth gloves and cloth boots.  I went with silver gauntlets and silver leggings instead.  Although those can be palette-swapped, you'd have to alter the gambeson color along with them because it shares a few of the indigo colors.

More to come later.  Here's an animation for now.

Walking animation 1-1

That Simon looks very nice.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:54:12 PM by Pemburu Vampir »

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »
i need stair frames for fake trevor from SoTN if anybody has em

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 04:40:42 PM »
I dooooooooo! =D

Offline Neflyte

• Castlevania Tour Guide
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »
What exactly do you need it for?

I've been playing around with the OpenBOR engine, and I want to make a Castlevania-styled game with it. The engine itself is very friendly for someone with no coding talent like myself, and in test with a character I've made it's easy to make that classic gameplay feel that I like.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:07:06 PM by Neflyte »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
It's definitely possible, but you should probably provide a template.  So you mean a CVChronicles Simon Belmont with the dimensions of CotM's characters (small & slender) and the same types of animations?

The box art seems to use cloth gloves and cloth boots.  I went with silver gauntlets and silver leggings instead.  Although those can be palette-swapped, you'd have to alter the gambeson color along with them because it shares a few of the indigo colors.

More to come later.  Here's an animation for now.

Walking animation 1-1

Can't wait to see more of it!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Neflyte

• Castlevania Tour Guide
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
It's definitely possible, but you should probably provide a template.  So you mean a CVChronicles Simon Belmont with the dimensions of CotM's characters (small & slender) and the same types of animations?

The box art seems to use cloth gloves and cloth boots.  I went with silver gauntlets and silver leggings instead.  Although those can be palette-swapped, you'd have to alter the gambeson color along with them because it shares a few of the indigo colors.

More to come later.  Here's an animation for now.

Walking animation 1-1

First, gotta say that your Simon is awesome! Very nice work! Now as for a template, what all would I need to make one? I have an idea of what's needed, just want to make sure though.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 05:13:42 PM »
A template for a full spritesheet, for someone to make, would be:
-dimensions (width, height) of a regular stance
-types of animations and level of complexity.  For CotM, you have three frames for a walk, one frame for jumping, one frame for falling, etc. so it's rather simple when you compare it to, say, Symphony of the Night (Alucard has a ridiculous number of sprites just for walking, because of the Cape).
-Color Style and Limit (3-color NES, 7-color Retro, 15-color standard)
-Composite or broken sprites.  This is mostly for enemies, but it also works with protagonists.  The latest games have used a Marionette-style template for enemies, where you have sprites of individual parts, and the enemy programmer and enemy designer marionettes the single sprites into a cohesive composite sprite.

If you want CotM mimicked perfectly, then just find me a composite spritesheet (nothing broken up into tiles) of Nathan or Hugh and I can, given enough time, make a similar sprite set with Simon.  Just don't hold your breath since I've been doing a lot of projects lately. xD

Also, thanks for the Simon comment. :)  He came out pretty nice.  I'm nowhere near done with him yet though.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 08:27:32 PM »
Reminds me of Chronicles Simon's animation, with CV2 design. Very nice.

The only thing I have to crit at face value is the frame where Simon's left shoulder shows around the back. Looks completely off. I'm not even sure at that angle you'd ever see it in the back. Even if you would, it's too abrupt, and visible to a much greater degree than it should be.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
Yeah I looked at that.  I'll mess around with it more tomorrow.
You're right that it looks off (not 'completely' off, but off... but I know you have no concept of gray values and deal only with black & white :P :P :P).

EDIT:
I fixed that thing UZO was talking about with the arm, and touched up 50 other things or so, so now it's a lot smoother of an animation.
Everyone!  Hit CTRL+F5 so you can refresh to the new version (if using Firefox)! :P

EDIT:
Added crouching! :D
Seamless crouches from the action stance and from the town stance (as seen by the GIF).

EDIT:
Added a Basic Jumping/Falling animation!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:43:58 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!

anything