Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A flawless first collection  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Belmont legacy

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: May 20, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »
What's up guys? I had bought the castlevania collection the first day it dropped and have played it non stop since! I have played and beaten every Castlevania game except Dawn of sorrow, Order of ecclesia, Chronicles, Dracula X, Circle of the moon, symphony of the night, and legends, and just today beat bloodlines for the first time. (had to use the save feature though because Jesus, that game us HARD. Harder than 3 imo) All in all though i am very pleased with this collection and am really hoping for a 2nd part to release maybe with the PS2, GBA, and DS releases on it. What are your opinions on this collection?
By My Hands...The Belmont Clan Will Be Avenged...

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 03:02:14 PM »
Besides Kid Dracula I think it's great. With that being said I don't hate Kid Dracula but rather just don't care. I've been playing Belmont's Revenge for the the first time and loving it. Feels a lot smoother than the Adventure.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 03:28:02 PM »
I have played and beaten every Castlevania game

How long did it take you to beat Haunted Castle ?

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:58:54 PM »
Castlevania Anniversary Collection is excellent. This is the era of the series I feel was possibly the strongest and most memorable overall. I would have liked them to sneak in Dracula X SNES and possibly Rondo of Blood; that would have made it phenomenal. But it's still great. Kid Dracula I could take or leave, but I appreciate the effort was made to bring it over for those interested. Bloodlines being on this was the key for me, as it's the only other game on this collection I don't own, and I've only gotten to play it a handful of times over a decade ago.

That being said, there are some issues...

-I've had an instance of input lag and a brief touch of sound errors on Super Castlevania IV. The flipping green platforms in Stage 4 don't allow you to jump off them in time like on the SNES unless you double-tap the jump button. (I'm playing the PC version on a lesser-powered PC, so maybe that's related?) The sound bugged out for a second on Stage 3's latter portions.

-Castlevania 1 froze on me on the screen with the harpies just before the staircase that leads to Dracula.

-There is a high-pitched sound bug starting in Stage 2 of Castlevania 1.

All of these problems can be ignored or counteracted through different methods, but hopefully there will be a patch that will fix these as time goes on. There reportedly will be a patch with the Japanese editions of all the games except Simon's Quest. But you know, rather than a second collection, I'd almost like a way to add DLC games to this one--stuff like Dracula X, Rondo, X68000 Chronicles--at least until we get to Symphony of the Night, should there be a Metroidvania collection.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:00:49 PM by RichterB »

Offline NagoriyukiSlayer

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 01:48:57 AM »
Castlevania Anniversary Collection is excellent. This is the era of the series I feel was possibly the strongest and most memorable overall. I would have liked them to sneak in Dracula X SNES and possibly Rondo of Blood; that would have made it phenomenal. But it's still great. Kid Dracula I could take or leave, but I appreciate the effort was made to bring it over for those interested. Bloodlines being on this was the key for me, as it's the only other game on this collection I don't own, and I've only gotten to play it a handful of times over a decade ago.

That being said, there are some issues...

-I've had an instance of input lag and a brief touch of sound errors on Super Castlevania IV. The flipping green platforms in Stage 4 don't allow you to jump off them in time like on the SNES unless you double-tap the jump button. (I'm playing the PC version on a lesser-powered PC, so maybe that's related?) The sound bugged out for a second on Stage 3's latter portions.

-Castlevania 1 froze on me on the screen with the harpies just before the staircase that leads to Dracula.

-There is a high-pitched sound bug starting in Stage 2 of Castlevania 1.

All of these problems can be ignored or counteracted through different methods, but hopefully there will be a patch that will fix these as time goes on. There reportedly will be a patch with the Japanese editions of all the games except Simon's Quest. But you know, rather than a second collection, I'd almost like a way to add DLC games to this one--stuff like Dracula X, Rondo, X68000 Chronicles--at least until we get to Symphony of the Night, should there be a Metroidvania collection.

There's always hacking your Switch and running RetroArch...unless if you're playing on PS4 or, God help you, an XBone.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 08:23:47 PM »
Where's the patch that lets me play fullscreen (4:3) without the hideous scanline filter?

Tags: