Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Does the series need another IGA?  (Read 15305 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: November 15, 2013, 11:13:38 AM »
+1
To clarify the topic title, does Castlevania need another creative mind post Lords of Shadow who takes full control of the franchise for a certain period of time? Or would you prefer a return to the old model where everyone does whatever the heck they want?

Both approaches have their pros and cons. If only one person is calling the shots the series has a clearly defined set of aesthetics, an overarching narrative, and a good idea of what to expect quality wise. On the other hand, the series might become stale or you might not like the approach and get stuck with it for quite a while. Letting multiple people take turns might be very refreshing and innovative, but might make the series look indecisive on what it wants to be or result in strong fluctuations in quality.

Your thoughts regarding this topic, if you please.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »
No thank you, people get full of themselves with time (you can see that even in Alvarez after only 3 games). What we need is a single writer a la Amy Henning in the LoK series to keep the vision coherent, but various teams and producers.

Everything comes full circle

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:12:50 PM »
+4
Does the series need another IGA? I say yes.. mainly for the fact that we need another producer that shared Koji's distinct passion (not necessarily vision) for the series, most notably the classic titles. An individual that respects the past by including the elements that made it great, while at the same time experimenting with new gameplay ideas that don't interfere with the overall experience. Someone that understands the importance of Castlevania's music and aesthetic. I feel the best approach would be for Konami to pick someone or a core group of individuals that can make great 2D games, games that echo both classic & metroidvania styles. A cohesive but non-overbearing narrative should be included, meanwhile larger studios can handle the grandiose 3D, non-conventional titles. That way no one is really stepping on each other's toes, they can take reference to one another if they wanted but not be restricted to what the other studio is doing. After all, stand-alone titles are no stranger to Castlevania. I believe they [MercurySteam/Konami] discussed this idea before.. why they haven't pursued it I have no idea.

Other than that, I also liked IGA's personality. In my opinion, he was a quirky, savvy, likable guy; he would carry around his whip & wear his hat at almost every Castlevania event. He gave autographs, answered questions about the series' history without being disrespectful or offending anybody (for the most part). It may not seem important but I believe the series benefitted from IGA's character and demeanor; it set him apart from other mundane producers, which in turn gave the saga it's own unique view among the public. I know this is subjective but this is how I feel. Cox to me is just a boring guy, personality-wise. He's just there to do his job & that's it. He'll arrive at the office, tell his subordinates what & what not to do, and leave a couple hours before everyone else. IGA seemed like he wouldn't mind sticking around after all the business is done & just bullshit with his coworkers about stuff, Castlevania or otherwise, and pay for dinner while telling silly anecdotes about his childhood growing up in Japan. Totally unfounded, I know, but this is just my personal impression lol

By the way, I'm back :) Here to end the borrowed time you've all been living on *Bane voice*

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
I'd also choose a completely different especialized team for 3D and 2D with separate storylines and stuff.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »
Letting Castlevania experiment with different developing teams is certainly an appealing idea, but it's not a truly viable one in the long run. It's always nice to see fresh air breathed into a long-standing series; you certainly can't expect a genre to survive without a steady current of new ideas, and I've got nothing against hiring new faces to drive the old boat. But there's a point after which a franchise will need a certain sense of direction, and certain amount of consistency, to move forward. In other words, there's a point where you can no longer expect everything you throw at a franchise to stick -- and where letting producers do "whatever they want with it" might lead it even farther astray. Someone will be needed to preserve the overall form and coherence of the series, lest it become shapeless and empty like so many others already have.
Crisis has put it quite aptly:
Does the series need another IGA? I say yes.. mainly for the fact that we need another producer that shared Koji's distinct passion for the series, most notably the classic titles. An individual that respects the past by including the elements that made it great, while at the same time experimenting with new gameplay ideas that don't interfere with the overall experience. Someone that understands the importance of Castlevania's music and aesthetic.

Still, I'm a bit more skeptic regarding "separate 2D/3D teams" matter. If we're looking for that perfect blend of classic standards and modern innovation, then cutting the franchise in half won't exactly do it much good. We need someone who cares enough about Castlevania to bring both sides together, to cross an uncomfortable divide -- so we certainly don't need for that separation to become permanent.
While it's true that the current state of affairs is pointing towards that solution as most feasible, I don't think it is one that should be adopted for too long a time.

What we need is a single writer a la Amy Henning in the LoK series to keep the vision coherent, but various teams and producers.
Legacy of Kain. Such a great series, but look at what's happening to it now.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/424304/blog/from-the-grave-video-of-axed-legacy-of-kain-surfaces/
All that's left of it today is that ridiculous F2P "Nosgoth" spin-off that's in development for PC. Why, Square Enix? Is there truly no hope left for the series? Must it go down the F2P MMO road?  >:(

Anyways, your "single writer" idea isn't a bad one at all. Though it all depends on how deeply he'll be able to influence the series.

PS: Nagumo, if you're also asking whether IGA should return, then my answer is a definite yes.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:05:19 PM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:30:15 PM »
No. No more IGA's. That kind of thing grows stagnant.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
Legacy of Kain. Such a great series, but look at what's happening to it now.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/424304/blog/from-the-grave-video-of-axed-legacy-of-kain-surfaces/
All that's left of it today is that ridiculous F2P "Nosgoth" spin-off that's in development for PC. Why, Square Enix? Is there truly no hope left for the series? Must it go down the F2P MMO road?  >:(
Yuu know what happened? Yep, Amy Henning left Eidos, and now she's responsible for the writing and directing of 4 little games.. The Uncharted Trilogy and The Last of Us.

Man, the thing's I'd do for Amy to take a shot on Castlevania.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:01:45 PM by Ahasverus »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
Im in favor of letting other teams take a stab at Castlevania just as long as they know what they're doing.

And IIRC, every Castlevania team has been different from the last anyway, so it wouldn't exactly be a new thing.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »
Insane egocentric guy with a stupid cowboy hat and a superiority complex that drives him to pick and choose when other peoples' games "count" in "his" overarching canon?

No, Castlevania will be fine without another one of those guys.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
I personally think that Castlevania should have a lead individual. Someone who can keep the series on course through every game. But not outright take the lead from everything to the story to game play style. He/She just needs to be there to make sure things are in place and not getting out of hand. The other aspect of this is to bring back multiple teams. One team can do their game, then the next time another team can do it. But the lead person would keep track of the teams and let them know what will work with the previously established story and what will not work. This way we can hopefully avoid any severe plot holes and contradictions, and keep things fresh, innovative and interesting. I wouldn't want IGA back nor someone like him, but a person whom is more open-minded and accepting then he was.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 11:51:07 PM »
If you mean "IGA" by "director for 1-3 games", like Alvarez, then yes. But not more.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 03:50:35 AM »
The series needs me

so that I can put a bunch of pixel art tits, dicks, and butts in it.

All Castlevania needs to succeed.

Don't believe me? Look at Symphony of the Night. Had tons of that shiz and 12-year-old me's mind (and wad) was blown.

Everyone's favorite game for a reason.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »
The series needs me

so that I can put a bunch of pixel art tits, dicks, and butts in it.

All Castlevania needs to succeed.

Don't believe me? Look at Symphony of the Night. Had tons of that shiz and 12-year-old me's mind (and wad) was blown.

Everyone's favorite game for a reason.

LOL! The only CV title to ever escape North American censorship.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »
No thank you, people get full of themselves with time (you can see that even in Alvarez after only 3 games). What we need is a single writer a la Amy Henning in the LoK series to keep the vision coherent, but various teams and producers.
I kinda noticed that too with Alvarez. That kinda arrogance never gelled with me. Kinda like that Tameem guy from Ninja Theory.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 01:33:53 PM »

Lol, it didn't even take Alvarez 3 games.

But in some ways I can understand why directors and producers feel the need to boast. At the end of the day they're selling their baby and a piece of themselves, and if you don't believe that it's a good product, then what are you doing with it? Especially where reboots are concerned, when there's a guaranteed tsunami of older fans trash-talking you at every turn, you need encouragement from somewhere. (Not that I agree with absolutely everything LoS does.)

Anyway, I liked having IGA around, as he pumped out a good amount of quality games, but it'd be better if Castlevania kept changing hands. I'd still like IGA to do a 3DS game though.

Tags: