Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Does the series need another IGA?  (Read 15292 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 11:54:24 PM »
I am partial to IGA's personality, I think he is a nice guy and is more approachable than Cox.

As for the series, I'm in the maybe corner. It is nice to have a Mr. Castlevania, but it would also be difficult on the guy who has to shoulder the responsibility for the series for a long period of time and draw the ire of fans.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 01:25:47 AM »
Personally I like Iga. Are all his games great? No. However, they were fun. Anywho for the topic at hand I'm not sure. I liked Iga but I admit I was getting bored with playing as a non Belmont character as the main role. Now I'm not saying I don't mind non Belmont characters but to me Belmonts are the main characters of the series and should be the face of the series, not Alucard or Soma. Personally I just want someone to make a Castlevania that sticks to what makes Castlevania what it's known for. I understand people have different views but there are certain themes that should not be messed with.

All I want is a CV where I'm a Belmont that makes his way through a huge castle that at the end is a giant epic fight with Death and after that Dracula. Of course I want candles, hearts, sub weapons, wallmeat, etc. Is that so much to ask for?

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 07:22:43 AM »
All I want is a CV where I'm a Belmont that makes his way through a huge castle that at the end is a giant epic fight with Death and after that Dracula. Of course I want candles, hearts, sub weapons, wallmeat, etc. Is that so much to ask for?

Yes.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 08:06:56 AM »
+2
For an indie game today, it's okay. For a new game in a 25-year-old series, maybe a bit too much.  ;)

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »
I like the idea of giving a certain team/producer 2 or 3 games to work on then moving on to another team/producer. I think it keeps things from getting stale and makes it so that there are different approaches being used. Too much of one thing is why IGA's games got kind of uneven. That and he spent years trying to recreate his greatest hit, SoTN.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
Personally I like Iga. Are all his games great? No. However, they were fun. Anywho for the topic at hand I'm not sure. I liked Iga but I admit I was getting bored with playing as a non Belmont character as the main role. Now I'm not saying I don't mind non Belmont characters but to me Belmonts are the main characters of the series and should be the face of the series, not Alucard or Soma. Personally I just want someone to make a Castlevania that sticks to what makes Castlevania what it's known for. I understand people have different views but there are certain themes that should not be messed with.

I only agree with this if they give the Belmont something other than a whip. Then, the next main character could be Shit Belmont for all I care. I'm just tired of the fucking whip gameplay. If they have to drop the Belmonts for me to have different weapons in the game, then fuck the Belmonts.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:57:15 AM by Maedhros »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
Right. Because there aren't enough games out there already where you fight with a sword.

Whip combat is what makes Castlevania unique. The only mistake konami made with the whip was stepping backwards after expanding on it in CV4.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:01:36 PM by Jeffrey Montoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 12:10:42 PM »
Right. Because there aren't enough games out there already where you fight with a sword.

Whip combat is what makes Castlevania unique. The only mistake konami made with the whip was stepping backwards after expanding on it in CV4.
I don't care. Give me a choice. It was good for 5, 6 titles. After they introduced multiple types of gameplay, I want to choose how I play, if I can.

That's why multiple characters are still important to me. They should make a game without a main character, just a main history that changes if you choose a different character. Bloodlines, Dawn of Sorrow, LoD... they should take cues from themselves.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »
I only agree with this if they give the Belmont something other than a whip. Then, the next main character could be Shit Belmont for all I care. I'm just tired of the fucking whip gameplay. If they have to drop the Belmonts for me to have different weapons in the game, then fuck the Belmonts.
I say keep the whip for those who want it in. However, I'm ok with another weapon if the player so chooses.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »
So pretty much a Jonathan Morris-esque character but a lot less annoying. I still believe a multi-weaponed Belmont fighting a new vampire lord a century after LoI would be a great game.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
So pretty much a Jonathan Morris-esque character but a lot less annoying. I still believe a multi-weaponed Belmont fighting a new vampire lord a century after LoI would be a great game.
Yep. Pretty much.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 10:42:15 PM »

IGA himself stated in an interview these other characters provided the gameplay with more diversity due to varied and multiple forms of attacking. Honestly I don't concern myself with characters or timeline/ plot so much if a 2d Castlevania is well executed in terms of gameplay and being enjoyable and challenging in the right ways.

Battle of 1999, that's all anybody wants.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 01:30:43 AM »
Battle of 1999, that's all anybody wants.

Yes.
Sigh... but when will we be ever given that game?  :(

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »
Yes.

Probably never. But if someone did decide to take a crack at it then there would be those out there that feel it has not lived up to their expectations. A game that does not yet exist except in concept and back story has grown so much in people's minds that it could be anything. And if it's not what you were expecting then you'd be very disappointed. IGA should have made it the instant he mentioned it. That was one of his biggest mistakes.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
I'm all for a few innovations in the weaponry department, but I don't want that trademark whip gameplay taken away. It's what made Castlevania unique in the first place.
And, after all, every CV game in the series' history has had a whip-wielding hero lying about. Let's not break with that tradition.

I loved the versatility you were afforded as Jonathan, in PoR; when you come down to it, he's one of the most well-equipped CV heroes out there. His weapon/subweapon arsenal was considerable, even by CV standards, and it came along with a substantial skill mastery system. If you count Charlotte's spellcasting abilities, you've easily got one of Castlevania's most diverse combat systems. Best of all, Jonathan could still wield his trusty whip, as if he'd done so all his life -- PoR introduced some nifty whip variants, the likes of which I haven't seen since (Nebula, anyone?). And you almost wouldn't be bothered with any weapon once you'd unlocked the VK.
Though I'm a bit less enthused by the dual-character layout. Sure, it adds that little bit of novelty, and it's definitely a great concept -- but the way it was executed, I felt as if I were playing only half a character at a time. I would have loved it if all of PoR's abilities could have been concentrated into a single hero.

Yes.
Well, we can write to Konami (but they won't answer). We can start up a petition (but they won't care). So here are the better alternatives:
We could bombard their servers with requests, hack into their systems, and implement subtle modifications into their website's structure so that Konami employees will be tricked into thinking that 1999 game is underway.
OR!
We could hire a special strike team to land into Konami's Japan HQ and hold its executives hostage until 1999 is made. Fight the power!
... Well, maybe not.
So why don't we, uh... pray? Well, who knows if it will be effective? We can always try...

Ooooh! Actually, I've got it now. Here's an even better one: we should... wait! Yes, that sounds just like it. We shall sit around, twiddle our thumbs, do absolutely nothing, and just hope that IGA (or someone who cares enough about the original timeline to do anything about it) puts the 1999 plan in motion again. Somehow.
Haha! That's right. That'll do it. I'm a genius.  8)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:08:04 AM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Tags: