Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: WayForward wants to make a 2D Castlevania game  (Read 24109 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: WayForward wants to make a 2D Castlevania game
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »
One of the old IGA timelines(that came in, I believe, the Japanese LoI guide) said that the Morris clan branched out from the Belmonts after Trevor, but before Christopher. Since I first saw that, I tend to think Trevor had a daughter(and a son) and the son continued the Belmont line, but the daughter married into the Morris clan, and gave birth to the Belmont blooded-Morrises.
belmonts are pretty lucky they keep having single male heirs.

Unless they just keep going at it till they make a boy, in which case we just never hear about all the other girl Belmonts.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2014, 10:05:50 PM »

Unless they just keep going at it till they make a boy, in which case we just never hear about all the other girl Belmonts.
This is a problem I have with CV as a whole(classic and LoS). Not specifically solely a focus on female heirs more than a focus on family in general. We KNOW in the classic series there ARE female Belmonts. It's not a generational curse where they only give birth to one son per generation. The Morris clan is proof of that, meaning not only was a daughter born, she likely had a brother to pass on the Belmont name. And that intrigues me. What kind of relationship would the sibling Belmonts have? Were they supportive of each other? Where they jealous of each other? And if this is the case for one generation, what about others? What if, say, Simon had 4 children? Why not focus on the family itself, for once. Adding LoS into the mix, we know Gabrial had one son, and Trevor had one son, but for Simon, we know his bloodline continued on until Victor, but there HAD been MORE than just "one son....one son..... one son" and so on. And that would also mean, Victor probably WASN'T the last Belmont(if one generation, we got a few sons, a few daughters, and the branch out with their families). It really IS one of the reasons, as I've been saying, I want a family focused CV. Focus on the Belmonts(their family, traditions/rituals and closeness) and Dracula's family(maybe work in his brothers, his niece Elizabeth Bartley, son Alucard and such). Something more than just the "individual" which most CVs have been about. Individual hero, individual struggle, against an individual evil.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »

Well, it is the Belmont Clan, by definition is a group of families who bear the Belmont sir-name, a European tribe basically....

Leon would be that common ancestor, I would love to see a game or story when the Belmont Clan is established as a clan

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2014, 02:06:15 PM »
+1
We don't know how the Morris branch into existence, do we? People automatically assume it's because a woman can't pass on the name because of historical reasons (which Castlevania plays fast and loose with) and cultural values, I guess? There could be other possibilities. Passing on throughout the male line only wouldn't be very practical since they would be screwed if it died out completely. To put things in a Japanese perspective, sometimes there were several branches of a clan, and they came into existence because, for example, the emperor bestowed a clan member with a special title, which later evolved into a branch clan. It could also be possible a Belmont decided to found his own clan, perhaps because of an internal conflict. That would explain why there are only two branch families that we know of.

Offline RegalSin

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »
Belmonts are Belmonts. All we know is that Sonia is the earliest, when not looking at the PS2 games, and LOTS derails everything. It is also a videogame, that is based on "VLad the impaler", so do not be so direct about it.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »
Belmonts are Belmonts. All we know is that Sonia is the earliest, when not looking at the PS2 games, and LOTS derails everything. It is also a videogame, that is based on "VLad the impaler", so do not be so direct about it.
Sonia isn't canon.

LoS is not canon either to the original games.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2014, 08:26:54 PM »
We don't know how the Morris branch into existence, do we? People automatically assume it's because a woman can't pass on the name because of historical reasons (which Castlevania plays fast and loose with) and cultural values, I guess? There could be other possibilities. Passing on throughout the male line only wouldn't be very practical since they would be screwed if it died out completely. To put things in a Japanese perspective, sometimes there were several branches of a clan, and they came into existence because, for example, the emperor bestowed a clan member with a special title, which later evolved into a branch clan. It could also be possible a Belmont decided to found his own clan, perhaps because of an internal conflict. That would explain why there are only two branch families that we know of.
Again, i would sure as HELL love to see something like that. Why Konami hasn't even TRIED to address this is beyond me. We have a clan, a family. With branching clans born from children, descendants on and on throughout the generations, it could make for a REALLY epic story.

When not looking at either Legends, nor LoI, Trevor was the first, and IMO, that was the best for the origin tale. I'm biased regarding him and I don't hide it. He's the first Belmont to KILL Dracula and the whole bit about CV3 taking place in 1476, the year the REAL Vlad III died(debatable as some think it was early 1477, but for the longest time many believed it was 1476), makes it all that more cool. In OG CV canon, Vlad Tepes DID die in 1476.... Trevor killed him. But, he came back...

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2014, 11:25:07 PM »
+2
Sonia isn't canon.

LoS is not canon either to the original games.

There was some theory going around that LOS belongs to the same canon as the older games. When I read the part about how Gabriel became Dracula who became Mathias who became Dracula, I swear I laughed so hard that I fell off my chair and farted..
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2014, 11:49:34 PM »
There was some theory going around that LOS belongs to the same canon as the older games. When I read the part about how Gabriel became Dracula who became Mathias who became Dracula, I swear I laughed so hard that I fell off my chair and farted..
Man that theory is beyond even Kojima tier. Even kojima would be like, "Seriously?"

I DO like that Gabriel is a Cronqvist though. I always liked that tidbit in relation to his being Dracula

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2014, 12:27:32 AM »
+1
Going back to Belmont male heirs for a bit. I would imagine the wife, girlfriend or whatever you want to call them we're more than happy to keep trying for males. It wasn't so much they cared about having a boy but rather they just enjoyed the Belmonts and their "holy" power... wocka wocka wocka. 

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2014, 04:58:17 AM »
I doubt this will actually happen, but I'd love some more 2.5D Castlevania. :)

Beta is right about OOE btw. I'd add to it that none of the characters in that game are really worth developing any further, especially not any of the playable ones. They improved the level design of that game (which isn't saying much) but the characters were awful and rather dull to play as. So for that reason alone, I'd rather not see anyone from OOE brought back out again.

Offline Dengo vlad tepes

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »
Welp, after all these years.. it's kinda happening with Bloodstained ;)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2018, 05:17:35 AM »
Welp, after all these years.. it's kinda happening with Bloodstained ;)

Said with enough thread necromancy to resurrect The Count Dracula himself
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2018, 01:07:35 AM »
Stop with all those thread necromancies!
Please read the last date where the message was posted. Thank you.
Thread has been locked.

Tags: