Poll

Which one is your favourite 3D Castlevania game?

Castlevania (N64)
6 (13%)
Legacy of Darkness (N64)
15 (32.6%)
Lament of Innocence (PS2)
11 (23.9%)
Curse of Darkness (PS2)
8 (17.4%)
Lords of Shadow (PS3)
6 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Your favourite 3D Castlevania  (Read 19898 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »
This one is easier to make.
Just all the 3D Castlevania games.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »
It wasn't easy to decide between CoD with its beauty, its soundtrack and its innocent devils, and LoD, with its atmosphere and gameplay, but I went for LoD.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
+1
CV64 and LoD are in essence the same title. But LoD adds more to CV64 and improves on some things. Since I can't select both I'll just say that CV64/LoD is my favorite 3D Castlevania. They aren't boring to traverse through as CoD was, and to some extent LoI. virtually everything in CV64/LoD held true to the traditional CV expectations minus the 2D side scrolling. The music fit the atmosphere perfectly, and while the graphics can't compare to LoI or CoD they were perfect for their time and helped with CV64/LoD's mood. Both IGA and Konami had considered these games the bain of Castlevania back in the day. But since the release of LoI, CoD and the LoS trilogy, I personally can safely say that the N64 titles were pretty much spot-on right from the get-go.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:26:20 PM »
I'm going with Lords of Shadow. It just really does so many of the things I always wanted a 3D Castlevania to do. The combat is like a revamped version of LoI's combat (which I loved and still love), but with greater range and complexity. Though, one thing I like more about LoI's combat over LoS's is that combos are so interchangeable in LoI that you can mix and match the combos at any step in LoI, making it easy to experiment without necessarily looking at the combo lists. LoS also has a greater amount of platforming than CoD or LoI, though LoI has more than most people give it credit for. I also really like the music score. In fact, I listen to it a lot by itself. Yes, I'm fully aware that my opinions regarding LoS are rather unpopular here, but I just really love the game. I'm really looking forward to seeing how LoS 2 turns out.

LoI is second for me, followed by LoD, CoD, and finally 64. LoD is just such an improvement over the original version that I don't really like the original so much anymore.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
+1
Legacy of Darkness all the way.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
+1
It would be nice to someday have an HD port of Legacy of Darkness that retains all that wasn't brought over from CV64 (intro forest level as an extra/hidden path, voiceover narration for Reinhardt and Carrie's quests, Dracula voice during first encounter, original alternate costumes, etc.). Easily my favorite 3D game in the series, but it's always bugged me that it didn't contain EVERYTHING from the first version.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »
+1
Went with LOD for definitely being the one I go back to most. Yet... I feel that certain 3Dvanias excelled more than others in certain departments. Namely: 64/LOD had my fave atmosphere, LOI and COD had my fave music, and LOS had my fave combat system.

...well now, I think I've found the formula for my dream post-Cox 3DVania.  :)

It would be nice to someday have an HD port of Legacy of Darkness that retains all that wasn't brought over from CV64 (intro forest level as an extra/hidden path, voiceover narration for Reinhardt and Carrie's quests, Dracula voice during first encounter, original alternate costumes, etc.). Easily my favorite 3D game in the series, but it's always bugged me that it didn't contain EVERYTHING from the first version.

Playable Coller would be nice too, even if Henry (not to mention the Garden Maze Franky) would make him redundant.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:46:36 PM »
I completely agree with this...

Went with LOD for definitely being the one I go back to most. Yet... I feel that certain 3Dvanias excelled more than others in certain departments. Namely: 64/LOD had my fave atmosphere, LOI and COD had my fave music, and LOS had my fave combat system.

...well now, I think I've found the formula for my dream post-Cox 3DVania.  :)
...and with this, with the exception of QTE and battles with collosus?... collosuses?...collosuss?... I don't know how you say it... titans!

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »
+1
I completely agree with this...
...and with this, with the exception of QTE and battles with collosus?... collosuses?...collosuss?... I don't know how you say it... titans!

The term is colossi iirc. 

I put LoD because well it's the single castlevania game in 3d that I finished in and out mostly. Passed it with all characters and played with all characters on hard mode I believe I beat it with Carrie on hard been awhile but the other three yes Cornell was my favorite character to play as. But man LoD just rocks not to mention the music my favorite original piece would be the tower of sorcery

DRACULA APOCALYPSE -ORIGINAL GAME SOUNDTRACK- 25 Tower of Sorcery

It's very mystifying to me like where am I? And I will say this to all the people that say the n64 games suck I will always question them really all of you played themit's like the whole internet hates the 64 titles? I feel that some just do it to be in the cool club to say the games suck and while maybe vanilla might be lackluster LoD is a great improvement over the first and dammit I would love a 3ds version remade like OoT with proper care taken into it.  Or at least a sequel spiritual at least with every mechanic put into it.

My gripe with the negativity is where does it come from it makes no sense. It's not perfect but LoD is a solid 8 in my book. Just imagine if it was given an other year people would have been tripping back then.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:07:08 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
+1
I went with LoI because it got me into CV. However, the 64 games are everything a 3D CV game should be(yes I'm fully aware of the problems but everyone is aware of them). I also really liked the turning into a vampire thing. I think that should return.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »
+1
LoD, I've never played these N64 enough to beat them, but I've noticed that apart from the obvious flaws, its core translates well Castlevania to the 3D world.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:15 PM »
Definitely LoS. The game is so damn good I'm STILL playing it and really enjoying it.

Gotta say though, the 64 games are among my favorite CV games. I really wish thoigh that someone would make an "Ultimate Edition" of the 64 games that has all the characters and extra levels from LoD, but keeps the vastly superior level design from th original CV64. The levels in that game make a lot more sense and are much much better than the levels in LoD.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »
+2
With all respect to other choices, but I'm glad so many people can see beyond the N64 games' flaws, so they are able to see the many virtues these games have.
While they say that they are hated over the internet (and I'm aware of that from past experiences), at least it seems people who is really into CV can see what those games really are.

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »
+2
I like the N64 games the best. They're the only ones that I feel are their own thing. I liked LoI but in spite of liking it, I felt there were kind of some critical pieces missing. It also felt like it was kind of a weird hybrid of Metroidvania and 3D that never quite gelled for me. And I found nothing to like in Lords of Shadow outside of the Castle segment. And apparently I'm too stupid to understand its plotline.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 11:05:15 PM »
+1
I'm glad the hate for them Is finally abating a bit. They're really fantastic games rrgerdless of whatever flaws (real or made up) people might feel they have.

Tags: