Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: [Netflixvania] Castlevania X: The Demon Castle Legend Cut  (Read 6423 times)

Offline Jeepy

• Devil Summoner
  • Hunter in Training
  • 死んでいいよ、いやいやまじで
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
[Netflixvania] Castlevania X: The Demon Castle Legend Cut
« on: September 25, 2022, 08:29:32 AM »
Hey everyone! Here's something my boy GP Belmondo was working on (and I was helping him with lots of stuff).

As you might know, Netflixvania sucked as an adaptation of Castlevanaia 3 and left a lot to be desired. "Thanks" to Warren Ellis and his inflated ego preventing him from doing proper research of the source material and respecting the property, the opportunity of making a good and faithful adaptation went right down into the toilet. It pissed us off how at the same time it has so much wasted potential with talented animators and voice actors on board, and with some scenes being actually good if presented right. But what pissed us off even more, is how the majority was praising it like the second coming of Christ, while in reality it's just another terrible Netflix adaptation from the pile, and it didn't deserve the praise it was getting.

This cut is an attempt at making something worthy of a Castlevania title out of the animated series, taking the direction of the old "animated movie trilogy" format - the end result is a 4 hour film divided into 3 chapters. This cut is meant to be considered as a critique towards the animated series, a big "let me show you how it's done".

Swearing, vulgarity, pointless banter, cringy humour, unneeded excessive violence, unfitting characters, "GoT with vampires" and such have been cut, as these have no place or don't fit the tone of Castlevania. Actual Castlevania music and mentions of Grant have been added. Most of the scenes are re-edited and shuffled around to make the flow feel more adventurous, dynamic and make sense in general. There are some bloopers, but we had to work with what we have.

Download (main link)

Watch online/download (mirror)

Feel free to spread the word and reupload in case this gets deleted.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:03:50 AM by Jeepy »
MEGIDOLAON!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: [Netflixvania] Castlevania X: The Demon Castle Legend Cut
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 10:36:12 AM »
Have you also fixed the sections so that Trevor Belmont is the one to actually kill Dracula and not Alucard? That felt like a cop out to me as historically (story/gamewise) Trevor was the one who delivered the fatal blow with the help of the others. Warren Ellis should've realized that this is CV3 and not SotN.

I also felt that the third and fourth seasons were completely unnecessary. And -let's be honest- a horrid mess of armature writing. It sounded like they were doing the CoD game and took it into a completely different direction. They made Hector look bad and be presented as a sexual pushover/slave. It should've been left out completely as the game itself was a shoehorned entry into the series and really didn't add anything overall to CV 3. Also, why would Dracula need to rely on Devil forge masters when he alone has the power to overrun the whole of the Earth with his monster army? It just makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 10:38:57 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jeepy

• Devil Summoner
  • Hunter in Training
  • 死んでいいよ、いやいやまじで
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 11:29:15 AM »
Unfortunately, no (while Alucard fights Dracula, Trevor is busy
(click to show/hide)
, and I don't think there's enough footage to edit it so it would work), but I wholeheartedly agree! CV3 is supposed to be the story of Trevor Belmont first and foremost, and Alucard stealing Trevor's thunder felt strange, if not outrageous.

Also agreed with the rest. With seasons 3 & 4 they were simply milking it after the success of the first two seasons (and even Ellis himself said in one of the interviews how he "had no clue what to do next"). I personally liked the addition of Hector and Isaac's characters into the canon and their chemistry in CoD (and I like CoD as a game a lot), but seeing what have they done to them in the show was sickening, to say the least. Complete butchering of their characters.
MEGIDOLAON!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 02:04:27 PM »
I tried through the website above but it was taking too long and the quota ran out on me not even a quarter of the way through. Believe me, I'd really like to see this and the effort of what you guys have done. Is there a way to download the video?
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 02:37:32 PM »
+1
Seems unnecessary. It's an adaptation. It's allowed to take liberties. You didn't like it. That's fine. But saying broad generalizations like, "everyone knows it sucked." It was it's own thing. It was watchable. Like it or don't but maybe tone down your vitriol, dude.

Offline Jeepy

• Devil Summoner
  • Hunter in Training
  • 死んでいいよ、いやいやまじで
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 04:44:15 PM »
I tried through the website above but it was taking too long and the quota ran out on me not even a quarter of the way through. Believe me, I'd really like to see this and the effort of what you guys have done. Is there a way to download the video?
Oh, sorry, totally forgot about the quota thing with Mega. Try this one.

Seems unnecessary. It's an adaptation. It's allowed to take liberties. You didn't like it. That's fine. But saying broad generalizations like, "everyone knows it sucked." It was it's own thing. It was watchable. Like it or don't but maybe tone down your vitriol, dude.
People are free to like whatever they want, and if my choice of words was rude, I apologize. I mean, I understand that adapting a story to another form of media has its quirks, and sometimes you have to change some things around, BUT if you're going to change so much that the source material is barely recognizable, what is even the point of calling it "Castlevania" anymore? There's a pretty big gap between "it doesn't have to be exactly like the games" versus "it's an adaptation so it can do anything". They should've just created an original IP instead, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 09:53:36 AM by Jeepy »
MEGIDOLAON!

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 04:08:11 AM »
BUT if you're going to change so much that the source material is barely recognizable, what is even the point of calling it "Castlevania" anymore? There's a pretty big gap between "it doesn't have to be exactly like the games" versus "it's an adaptation so it can do anything". They should've just created an original IP instead, in my opinion.

Lords of Shadow did it… Then it said “Have at you!!” and swung its combat cross a few more times, to make its stance known by all..
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 08:26:11 AM »
I never realized Castlevania has it's own "Should Moon or Venus kill Beryl"

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 10:40:15 AM »
Lords of Shadow did it… Then it said “Have at you!!” and swung its combat cross a few more times, to make its stance known by all..

And Konami paid for this blunder of a reboot. In some cases, literally (cash).

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 04:55:07 PM »
eh, Lords of Shadow 1 was the best selling game in the franchise. Sure, there was some hubris in releasing the next two games back to back, and the big second one did fail pretty hard (arguably more because it came out at the tail end of a console generation and really should have been made for the next generation instead) but I wouldn't call it a total failure. At least they wisely ended it when it died.

Bearing in mind I hate the Lords of Shadow games and I do question why Konami had to call them "Castlevania". But players at least seemed to enjoy some of what Konami was laying down.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 01:06:48 PM »

While this is true, LoS1 never advertised itself as something it wasn't. LoS1 is probably my favorite 3Dvania and much of it aged really well.

As for the post, interesting effort. I might check it out as I'm curious if it's possible to even edit that thing into something more palatable. Perhaps the Demon Castle Legend cut is not for some people and that's OK.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 02:18:23 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 04:40:29 PM »
eh, Lords of Shadow 1 was the best selling game in the franchise. Sure, there was some hubris in releasing the next two games back to back, and the big second one did fail pretty hard (arguably more because it came out at the tail end of a console generation and really should have been made for the next generation instead) but I wouldn't call it a total failure. At least they wisely ended it when it died.

Bearing in mind I hate the Lords of Shadow games and I do question why Konami had to call them "Castlevania". But players at least seemed to enjoy some of what Konami was laying down.

If LOS1 had stayed as LOS1, I would agree. I actually liked it quite a bit, my issue is with MOF being a heap of shit and LOS2 I’ve never even bothered to unseal, due to the reviews, I’m not convinced I’d enjoy the experience.

The trilogy as a whole had cons that did not appear to be outweighed by pros, there was much lost potential to return to the series roots in a 3D sense, it ended up flopping as a series regardless of LOS1’s success and the Castlevania title was tacked on since the initial LOS trailer from way back when.

Think of it this way, if Zelda: Tears of the kingdom sells like a$$, fans will be saying BotW, despite being the greatest selling Zelda of all time, the ‘open world’ was a step in the wrong direction for the series(which a minority can be found online, saying this now)….

LOS solved the problem of “What is Castlevania?” but it was a temporary solution
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 04:42:00 PM by zangetsu468 »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2022, 02:38:39 PM »
LOS2 makes me angry. When it's good, it's REALLY good. But when it's bad, it's really bad. And all that could be forgiven if not for the infuriating way the game ends.

I'd say it's worth playing just for the good parts. Basically anything in the castle is some of the best Castlevania-fare to date, and I don't say that lightly. The combat, if you liked 1, is way smoother and refined. With the chaos/light energy attacks being changed to be less of just powerups and more their own unique attack styles.

As for Netflixvania, it has it's issues. There's plenty I dislike. But it's fine. There's plenty I like too. CV3 is kind of frustrating in spots, but it was fine. I'm willing to see where it all goes.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2022, 08:18:48 AM »
In my humble opinion, while I understand and respect the effort, there is no *fixing* it because they just got too many things fundamentally wrong.  It’s more a case of if the changes are so bothersome that it makes this adaption unwatchable for me at this point.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2022, 10:47:42 AM »
Maybe I'll check this out. After season 2 I was done.

Tags: Netflix