Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania interview/article database  (Read 120574 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: November 28, 2015, 06:28:54 AM »
+3
This is a project I recently thought up which made me useful and interesting for anyone who is interested in the history of Castlevania. Occasionally, I stumble upon some obscure interview or article from website deleted long ago or in an obscure magazine, and find some infromation that is definitely useful but unfortunately forgotten. That's why I thought it would be interesting to make a thread that organises all these sources for quick and easy reference. For the sake of the project, I was also thinking of collecting Japanese magazines which contain CV info, and put them here for later analysis by me. Who knows what we might discover?

First of all, I wanted to ask a question. What do you guys think would be the best way to organise this stuff? Should I do it by title or by year? Input would be appreciated.

If you have an old magazine which contains an obscure interview with IGA or something, you can scan it and post it here, or you can link to it. From any period of Castlevania is fine, so also more recent stuff like LoS. You can post reviews if they contain interesting facts, but I was thinking about making this a database about objective information, so I'm personally the most interested in interviews, previews, that kind of thing.

I'll update this post with sources accordingly.   
    Castlevania

Vampire Killer

Castlevania: The Adventure

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

Super Castlevania IV

Akumajou Dracula X68000

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

Castlevania: Bloodlines

Castlevania: Dracula X

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Castlevania Legends

Castlevania 64

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness

Castlevania: Resurrection

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

Castlevania Chronicles

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Castlevania: Order of Shadows

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Castlevania Judgment

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Miscellaneous
    [/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:00:42 AM by Nagumo »

Offline X

• Xenocide
    • Master Hunter
    • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
      • Awards
    • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
    Re: Castlevania interview/article database
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 10:29:34 AM »
    Rather then a thread this would be a good opportunity to put such obscure info/articles/interviews in the actual CV Dungeon with it's own section. But if that can't be done then sure, why not make a thread for it?
    "Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
    Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
    • Master Hunter
    • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
      • Awards
    • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
    « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 10:40:40 AM »
    I agree so much with this. There's crucial info out there being lost to the ages because no one is bothering to save them, or to properly organize them.

What do you guys think would be the best way to organise this stuff? Should I do it by title or by year? Input would be appreciated.

Per title would be best, as the year, most of times, is irrelevant. There are very few cases where the "year" factor is important.
    The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
    • Legendary Hunter
    • Fan of all things Floyd
    • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
      • Awards
    « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 03:54:10 PM »
    I've got a pretty good collection of magazines featuring Castlevania articles.  I have magazines from the NES years to Lords of Shadow, but mostly focusing on the GBA and DS years.  Only a small percentage of the CV articles have actual interviews, but I could share them eventually.  The problem is that this is a very time-intensive project, and I don't have anywhere near that kind of free time.  But hopefully I can do it at some point.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
    • Global Moderator
    • Master Hunter
    • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
    • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
      • My DeviantArt Page
      • Awards
    • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
    « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 09:38:07 PM »
    This is an excellent idea. I agree with plot to organize things by title.
    I don't know if the Dungeon website can still be manipulated/edited so, let's just keep it in the forums for now. Then, sticky the thread.
    My CV related magazines were all buried under tons of random stuff and I have no patience to uncover them.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
    • Global Moderator
    • Master Hunter
    • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
      • Awards
    « Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:47:18 AM »
    I added a whole bunch of scans from the Dungeon's magazine scan library, including a gazillion ones for CV64. Mostly previews which show early versions of the games. Also, an interview the producer the producer of CV64, a bunch of interviews with IGA, and a small one with Yamane. There's still plenty of interviews to be found on the internet, and that's just the English material. Also, feel free to discuss anything that is written in those articles in this thread.     

Offline X

• Xenocide
    • Master Hunter
    • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
      • Awards
    « Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
    Interesting how Carmilla was a boss for CV64 but never made it into the final game. Well she does get her 3D makeover anyways in DXC.
    "Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
    Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Only at the Castle Gate...
      • Awards
    « Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »
    THANK YOU!

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
    • Master Hunter
    • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
      • Awards
    • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
    « Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »
    May not happen, but could this thread be stickied in lieu of the site itself being updated?

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
      • Awards
    • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
    « Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 04:32:21 PM »
    Somewhere in the depths of my house I have the EGM article with POR where Iga is interviewed and speaks about "SOTN 2" which was later to be known as the Alucard origins game, which sadly was ditched in favour of LOS.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                     ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                     ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                     ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                     ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                     ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
                +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
                v                           l              ^                ^
                v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
                v                           l      ^               ^       ^
    LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                              v
                                                                             BE>*  
    BE=Bad Ending
    RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
    • Global Moderator
    • Master Hunter
    • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
      • My DeviantArt Page
      • Awards
    « Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 12:48:39 AM »
    Stickied this.

Somewhere in the depths of my house I have the EGM article with POR where Iga is interviewed and speaks about "SOTN 2" which was later to be known as the Alucard origins game, which sadly was ditched in favour of LOS.

Yeah. I remembered reading that too.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
    • Master Hunter
    • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
      • Awards
    « Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 02:52:10 AM »
    Nagumo, I feel these two are important. One of them describes why Dracula is never redeemed and where is his soul sent after he is destroyed. There are more questions answered here that I have no idea what they mean:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-chron/manual/dengeki-scoop1.jpg
    http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-chron/manual/dengeki-scoop2.jpg

I also feel these shmuplations-translated interviews are important. The one in the first link is evidence that the developers (at least Toshiharu Furukawa) were already planning the 1999 event ever since SotN came out:

http://shmuplations.com/symphony/
    http://shmuplations.com/chinorondo/
    http://shmuplations.com/akumajox68000/
    http://shmuplations.com/kojiigarashi/
    http://gosokkyu.com/post/79456686343/akumajou-dracula-x-chi-no-rondo-interview-lead
    « Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:40:29 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
    • Global Moderator
    • Master Hunter
      • Awards
    « Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 08:43:54 AM »
    Sorted them except that one link that is a collection of IGA interviews from different years. How should I categorize that one?

@Plottwist

It seems the bit about Dracula being corrupted after he got sealed is one of four things IGA explains about the overall storyline. The first one is about Dracula's origin in the 11th century, the second bit seems to be something about why there are inccidents that defiate from the 100-year rule, and the last one is about "why only Richter has a title". (I'll look into that one). edit: the kanji are too small for me. Shiroi, do you know what it says?

Interesting how Carmilla was a boss for CV64 but never made it into the final game. Well she does get her 3D makeover anyways in DXC.

Strangely enough, she is called "witch" in that magazine scan. I wonder if that enemy was just supposed to based on Carmilla. 
    « Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:57:53 PM by Nagumo »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
    • Global Moderator
    • Master Hunter
      • My DeviantArt Page
      • Awards
    « Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 10:39:26 PM »
    and the last one is about "why only Richter has a title". (I'll look into that one). edit: the kanji are too small for me. Shiroi, do you know what it says?

I glanced the 4th one and it said that Richter was the last Belmont to hold the VK, thus the title.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
    • Master Hunter
    • プロットツイスト君
      • Awards
    « Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 05:09:59 AM »
    How should I categorize that one?

I think it going under "Miscellaneous" is good enough, with the games covered in parenthesis (this is one case where "Year" would be a better cathegorization than "Game").

Tags:

anything