Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania interview/article database  (Read 120572 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Castlevania interview/article database
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2016, 12:14:29 AM »
Found one interview I'm not sure if it's linked here. It's about Harmony of Dissonance. IGA confirms two things:

1. The change of titles happened in tandem with the idea that Dracula is not present in the game.
2. The Wraith in Harmony of Dissonance is not Dracula.

Both confirmed to death before through dialogue and another IGA interview, but I thought this would be useful.

He also raises the possibility that the castle itself is not Dracula's Castle.

I'm fairly sure this might be a translation of one "dengeki" interview Nagumo linked. Though I'm unable to tell which one.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/7076/dengeki-interview-with-castlevania-producer
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:49:48 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2016, 03:07:24 AM »

He also raises the possibility that the castle itself is not Dracula's Castle.

Isn't this basically confirmed in game and the fact that it's not called Devil Castle Dracula though?

The only thing would be if they're Dracula's remains does that explain why the enemies are essentially Dracula's minions? Because otherwise they'd technically be manifestations of Maxim's darkest desires unless the remains/ their power had significant influence on those desires.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2016, 05:08:55 AM »
Isn't this basically confirmed in game and the fact that it's not called Devil Castle Dracula though?

In-game I'm still a little troubled about that. Because, if neither is Dracula's Castle, how can Death summon the true one from two fake ones?

He also says that "[Maxim] brought this castle into existence once again." If this is not Dracula's Castle, then it's not "once again."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2016, 06:53:37 AM »
In-game I'm still a little troubled about that. Because, if neither is Dracula's Castle, how can Death summon the true one from two fake ones?

He also says that "[Maxim] brought this castle into existence once again." If this is not Dracula's Castle, then it's not "once again."

How can Death summon the true castle from 2 fake ones? The way I see it is more like this in a nutshell:

- Castle A; brought about by Maxim (A) who is the regular Maxim and also this castle's final boss. Fighting and killing him delivers the bad ending.
- Castle B; brought about by Maxim (B) who is the dark Maxim* and also this castle's final boss. Fighting and defeating him delivers the preferable ending. Prior to this ending Death informed Juste the Castles were already merging.

*Dark Maxim being a manifestation/entity of regular Maxim's darkest desires which came from the influence of Dracula's remains on Maxim("Dracula's power was overwhelming"; Maximto Juste)

- Castle A+B Merge; The outcome which happens when either:
1) Lydie becomes the sacrifice and vessel for Dracula's Revival, which would have resurrected the real Dracula (not "Dracula Wraith"). It is a possibility the true Castlevania would result from the Dracula's resurgence.
Or
2) Dark Maxim merges with regular Maxim (no longer being a manifestation of his darkest desires) making Maxim the suitable vessel for Dracula's resurrection (Not "Dracula Wraith"). This is not as favourable an outcome as (1), but it's still possible for Dracula to be resurrected and the 2 castles to merge this way.

The reason why (1) and two never happened were because Juste got there in time to save Lydie, and he got to Castle B's final room after gathering all the remains in time to stop Dark Maxim/ Regular Maxim and Castles A/B from merging.

It was never the true Castle in-game, Death just assumed that Juste would never make it in time to stop outcome (2) from occurring.

If either outcomes 1 or 2 would have happened, then it would have become Dracula's castle. Perhaps this is why Iga as said something to the effect of "it may not be Dracula's Castle" or something to that effect.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:57:07 AM by zangetsu468 »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »
Thank you for posting that interview, plottwist.

I also got a contribution of my own. It's not super exciting but I found an old advertisement for Akumajou Densetsu. I don't think there were any scans of it on the internet before, so this is a world exclusive.

Left part.

Right part.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2016, 02:48:56 PM »
Nagumo, the 1UP interview is gone. However I think it's been copied here:

http://nerdmentality.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11529

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2016, 12:44:05 PM »
Thank you, I replaced the link. I also threw in a couple of Yamane interviews in there as well.

Also a small notification of what to expect in the future: a small interview with the director of CV: The Adventure, an interview with the director of Bloodlines, and one with one of the programmers who worked on Vampire Killer. Expect to wait several months before they appear, though. I also got permission from the author of the Untold History of Japanese Video Game Developers to post scans of the Haunted Castle interview, so I'll get on that.   

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2017, 11:36:50 PM »
Resurrecting this thread to say that, once again, the two 1UP interview links are dead. The NerdMentality link is returning an error and, while it IS a possibility the forum will get the link fixed, i'm not betting on it.

Though I managed to locate one about Dawn of Sorrow (http://www.fourside.com/forum/topic913-castlevania-dawn-of-sorrow/page2/#10446), I'm not sure the PoR one exists anywhere else on the internet. I'll take a look.

Also, here is one page I found that might not be on that list: http://archive.li/ebWLH never mind, it is.

EDIT: Yeah. Couldn't find it anywhere. Here is a snippet of it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4405109&postcount=74

I think these 1UP interviews might be gone forever.

EDIT 2: The first EGM interview link about Dawn of Sorrow (the ones followed by ??) has a wrong link. The HTTP: part doesn't have the ":" so it doesn't work properly.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:44:38 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2017, 12:43:19 PM »
Just a suggetion, but someone should create a Dropbox account and save these webpages there. People can read webpages stored on Dropbox without downloading the file (read online, as a normal site) and it would be better than a printscreened image.

So if we lose another one, a backup will still exist for the fans.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2017, 06:09:02 AM »
So I (finally) created that Youtube account for preserving video interviews. Can anyone click on the link below and tell whether it works or not?

https://youtu.be/iXjts0IZoIY

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
So I (finally) created that Youtube account for preserving video interviews. Can anyone click on the link below and tell whether it works or not?

https://youtu.be/iXjts0IZoIY

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2018, 03:38:13 PM »
Coming here to update one of two of Nagumo's links who are dead AND to add a new one:

https://web.archive.org/web/20051103222308/http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3138794
https://web.archive.org/web/20160712012220/http://www.1up.com/previews/castlevania-por_2

https://web.archive.org/web/20110604120530/http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=4&cId=3152109

The last one is specially interesting because it's IGA squashing "HE REMOVED CIRCLE OF THE MOON BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WORK ON THEM! IGA IS ARROGANT!" myths years before they started spreading. He specifically says that the only game he removed intentionally was Legends.

EDIT: One more. Dawn of Sorrow afterthought.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060217083928/http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145119
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:08:07 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »
Thanks! I really should start working on this again. Various videos still need to be preserved and I suppose I should start archiving those David Cox interviews eventually... 

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2018, 04:06:08 AM »
I finally decided to go through the LoS thread and archive the various interviews (both text and video). I already added a few to the OP. More will follow soon. All links have been saved in the Internet Archive, so existing links can be replaced when they stop working.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2019, 12:08:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/shmuplations/status/1126827104996212736

http://shmuplations.com/castlevania/

Here's a new one with Hitoshi Akamatsu, who was revealed? to be the series creator! It goes over the first 3 games! He mentions stuff I never knew or would have thought about!

Tags:

anything