Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania IV Beta.  (Read 10172 times)

Offline OldSchoolArikado

• Castlemaniac
  • Hunter in Training
  • Se habla español
    • Castlevania Latino
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« on: July 25, 2020, 03:21:10 AM »
Hi guys, recently I just saw a couple of videos on YouTube about a beta of Super Castlevania IV, do any of you know anything about it? If possible, do you have the rom for this game?

Video links:

https://youtu.be/IkEGBAQsK-Q

https://youtu.be/5TzSggnH5tg

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 06:01:05 AM »
I know a recent dataleak happened so this surfaced amongst various other beta versions of first-party Nintendo games. Most notably was the earlier builds of Yoshi's Island.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 07:55:16 AM »
I suppose the beta from the infamous "through a room" video must have been an even earlierer version. Pictures of the early map screen also appear in a Famitsu issue from July 1991, so I assume this beta was finished around that time.

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 08:04:32 AM »
what, where's the source for this leak stuff? did someone hack through nintendo's archive ftp

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 08:09:25 AM »
Supposedly this is a 4chan leak of a ton of unused Nintendo prototypes and unused assets. I've tried downloading it to get my hands on the SCV4 prototype but I got a corrupted file. I wanted to go through and do a video analysis of the differences, but so far through Stage 3....there's a lot.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:25:05 AM »
From the look of this prototype (the first video) they didn't have to change much to get it to the final product we all know know. I'm surprised they switched out the map entirely. This one looks like an actual landscape cutaway while the map of the final release looks a bit discombobulated. I think I like the prototype map screen better. They could have kept it and just touched it up a bit more. But I am glad they redressed the music score (specifically the Theme of Simon.) Also the music playing in stage 2 was new to the ears. I wonder if we can get a sound rip of it somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:28:00 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 12:27:36 PM »
Also the music playing in stage 2 was new to the ears. I wonder if we can get a sound rip of it somewhere.

Already working on that.  ;)

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 12:41:02 PM »
From the look of this prototype (the first video) they didn't have to change much to get it to the final product we all know know. I'm surprised they switched out the map entirely. This one looks like an actual landscape cutaway while the map of the final release looks a bit discombobulated. I think I like the prototype map screen better. They could have kept it and just touched it up a bit more. But I am glad they redressed the music score (specifically the Theme of Simon.) Also the music playing in stage 2 was new to the ears. I wonder if we can get a sound rip of it somewhere.

Someone at least posted the full prototype soundtrack on YouTube already, so you can give that song a cleaner listen to.

Offline The Belmont Pizza

• We baked by real Castlevania oven!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 01:00:58 PM »
I finally played it and it was pretty tough! I know we're not allowed to send links for rom. But even if it is a prototype?  
Would you like to add "Medusa" snake-hair on your pizza?

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »
so it seems the Vanishing Blocks at the last screen of dungeon stage wasn't in the initial draft plan of stage design, but there could be another possibility like it's just not implemented in the prototype build or something. I wonder what could be the initial plan of that Vanishing Blocks part in the designer's mind...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:53:14 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 08:18:34 PM »
In its unpolished form, it almost seems more reminiscent of Haunted Castle or Akdra X68k for some reason.  I'd like to examine the romset for anything that may have gone unused in the beta and was cut from the final code.

Hey weren't the Nintendo Power screenshots taken from this version?

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 11:10:11 AM »
Sharing the link for the rom here should be fine considering it's a prototype. The Bloodlines prototype was shared here.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline The Belmont Pizza

• We baked by real Castlevania oven!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 11:32:03 AM »
+1
Sharing the link for the rom here should be fine considering it's a prototype. The Bloodlines prototype was shared here.

Done! I had to make .exe files change to .sfc. Anyway, hope you all enjoy!

https://anonfiles.com/z1h3s2Idob/dracura_sfc
Would you like to add "Medusa" snake-hair on your pizza?

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 07:43:12 PM »
someone figured out the date of the proto???

the ost has changed so much it's crazy
we should get in touch with the composer so he could comment :o :o
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:52:04 PM by LuxKiller65 »

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 09:00:21 PM »
The last modified time of the file dated June,14th 1991, maybe the conversion process from the mysterious "Through a Room" build to this prototype could be even earlier
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:29:40 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Tags: