Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania IV Beta.  (Read 10173 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 11:00:55 PM »
The last modified time of the file dated June,14th 1991, maybe the conversion process from the mysterious "Through a Room" build to this prototype could be even earlier

I'd say yes to that. The layout of stage one in the above video is far more complete then the "Through a Room" build.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 06:29:29 AM »
no discussion that fight-through-a-room build is older than this build

according to mobygames, the japanese version released on 31 october 1991

this build you say 14 june 1991, that's four and half months before :o

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 07:34:45 AM »
Hey, at least this version still has rooms to go through.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 10:24:47 AM »
no discussion that fight-through-a-room build is older than this build

according to mobygames, the japanese version released on 31 october 1991

this build you say 14 june 1991, that's four and half months before :o

Well that pretty strange... Did they scrap stage 1, have more layout planned, rebuild it only to scrap it again, then rebuild it to what we know? This seems kinda messy to me. I have to wonder if maybe Mobygames got their dates mixed up or something.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »
I got to the castle stage, only for entering the castle to boot me back to the startup screen...
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 12:31:59 PM »
I got to the castle stage, only for entering the castle to boot me back to the startup screen...

I believe the areas after entering the castle are only accessible via password, based on the videos in the OP.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 01:47:40 PM »
Threw together a quick analysis comparing the original game's soundtrack to this prototype demo's versions and pointing out what differs where. It was fun to do, even if in a much more rushed format than I have been doing my vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bayTzfKKztA

I includes a download link to a ZIP file of the songs so people can have them. Also shot that shit over to Mr.P's for archiving.

It super interesting going back and forth between the original music of the final release and this prototype stuff. They originally didn't have a unique track for Block 3-2 and just continued using Block 3-1's music, but then you hear what ends up being the "Waterfalls" track in Stage 5. They must have just been shifting things around as Adachi and Taro made more music. Makes me wonder why they didn't bother keeping the prototype's Stage 2 music and just putting it in Block 2-2 instead of nixing it altogether for "Forest of Monsters" in the final release.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 05:02:20 PM »
the version in this commercial looks to be even more of a beta than what was leaked,
simon doesn't even have a designated color palette set up and there are some major gameplay differences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYZaGtFnQ2g
who is that weird ass snake boss at 0:15???

also, notice how SUPER is missing from the name in that cobbled together title screen?
i've noticed that before, in older advertisements.  thankfully they didn't go with this shitty logo...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:04:46 PM by redrum »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 10:06:48 PM »
Makes me wonder why they didn't bother keeping the prototype's Stage 2 music and just putting it in Block 2-2 instead of nixing it altogether for "Forest of Monsters" in the final release.

It is curious to me as well. It sounds fine, but maybe the heads at Konami were looking for something more creepy and atmospheric. It would explain why they made a new track for stage 2. And to be honest the current stage 2 theme does give the level a good sense of atmosphere that the original track did not.

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 11:04:41 AM »
the version in this commercial looks to be even more of a beta than what was leaked,
simon doesn't even have a designated color palette set up and there are some major gameplay differences.

also, notice how SUPER is missing from the name in that cobbled together title screen?
i've noticed that before, in older advertisements.  thankfully they didn't go with this shitty logo...

I watched that commercial a dozen times and I only saw that 2 player option today. Wtf!?
Gotta get away

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 12:53:02 PM »

I know it's not the case, but it always looked like Dracula was in a small boat. Like Simon Belmont is wreckin the place, and Dracula is trying to get to him in his small boat.

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 08:13:08 PM »
and that skeleton surfing on a slab of stone is matching the boat theme

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 09:37:49 PM »
Still a bad@$$ image anyway ya slice it  8)

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 08:14:05 AM »
skeleton surfing

dracula knows how to pick his posse
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:16:08 AM by redrum »

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »
I watched that commercial a dozen times and I only saw that 2 player option today. Wtf!?

The Player 2 option at that commercial might be a leftover from SNES Gradius 3 development resources, the font shares similarity with SNES Gradius 3's
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Tags: