Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Metroidmania....."  (Read 20436 times)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »
I want to see another non linear Castlevania someday.  I just have a preference on non linear Castlevanias. Hoping to see that well implemented in 3D, just like Dark Souls was.

Offline Belmont legacy

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 11:37:54 PM »
I never knew that about the walls being white and stuff and it was a great idea about writing down notes and I was very happy to see that no one on here got  furious because I was preferring old school castlevania over new. This was a HUGE help. Thank you guys, so much!  ;D
By My Hands...The Belmont Clan Will Be Avenged...

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 02:34:52 AM »
+1
I never knew that about the walls being white and stuff and it was a great idea about writing down notes and I was very happy to see that no one on here got  furious because I was preferring old school castlevania over new. This was a HUGE help. Thank you guys, so much!  ;D

Way back when I was a kid, my parents used to map out video game levels with graph paper for reference.  I think we might still have some of the maps in a folder somewhere, mostly of dungeons from The Legend of Zelda.

Offline Belmont legacy

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »
Way back when I was a kid, my parents used to map out video game levels with graph paper for reference.  I think we might still have some of the maps in a folder somewhere, mostly of dungeons from The Legend of Zelda.

Dude...That's GENIUS!!!  :o
By My Hands...The Belmont Clan Will Be Avenged...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
I can remember trying to attempt maps for Dungeon Master. I never really had much success even though I was using graph paper.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
+1
I can remember trying to attempt maps for Dungeon Master. I never really had much success even though I was using graph paper.

AH! My father mapped that game out!  I liked the screaming broccoli monsters! :D

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 09:18:07 PM »
+1
A Metroidvania with no save spots!

Or more realistically, a Metroidvania with 7 or 8 save spots that can only be activated ONCE. And death pits. And spikes. Yeah, learn to platform now, bitches!
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »
AH! My father mapped that game out!  I liked the screaming broccoli monsters!
your parents are awesome.

Or more realistically, a Metroidvania with 7 or 8 save spots that can only be activated ONCE. And death pits. And spikes. Yeah, learn to platform now, bitches!
thats a good idea! would've been excellent in OoE

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 11:25:25 PM »
your parents are awesome.

Yes, yes they are. XD

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 07:32:44 AM »

Bad idea to it work only one time, the bad thing about save spots is that it heal you. If you remove that trait the majority of exploits is already fixed.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »
Bad idea to it work only one time, the bad thing about save spots is that it heal you. If you remove that trait the majority of exploits is already fixed.

Could be one of the changes made to gameplay in a Hard Mode.  I wouldn't be for getting rid of save point healing altogether though; I don't think everyone would appreciate that.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 09:36:55 AM »
Well, they will heal you, but only in the first use. I thought that I've written that but checking now, I dont. Yes, that can be a thing for Hard Mode.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »

A Meroidvania without save spots is too unrealistic and will never be done. Unless said game designers plan on going back to the password feature like in the original Metroid. As for having fewer save points? I can see this and it will help with the challenge factor. As for the save points to be activated only once? Unrealistic as well for a Metroidvania-styled game. Maybe for a more liner-styled game, but not for a Metoidvania-styled game. Save points that don't recharge health? I can see this as well and it would force the player to rely on health potions and the like.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »
There's also partial healing, e.g. only healing your health up to a certain percentage a la Dust.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »
Yes, partial healing, how I dont thought about that. Great idea.

Also you dont need to rely only on potions, you can return to some safe area (shop? your house? camp?) and heal yourself. With only 1 or 2 spots that heal you to full health, you will need to master the game if you dont want to backtrack or buy potions. Also after defeating bosses a orb heal you anyway.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything