Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania : The Complete Choronicles ????  (Read 114696 times)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania : The Complete Choronicles ????
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2011, 11:20:33 PM »
When I say that Castlevania was great, I mean strictly small period of time 87-91.
I should remind to you, that unlike Mario, MegaMan, Zelda  there were not that much Castlevania games on one single console. The series was spreed all over the place. So that's no wonder that CV somewhat fell into obscurity after SCV4. It didn't have enough presence on  popular consoles.
Castlevania
NES: 3
SNES: 2
Gameboy: 3

Zelda
NES: 2
SNES: 1

Mario
Gameboy: 2

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #211 on: August 26, 2011, 12:14:16 AM »
Castlevania
MSX: 1
Famicom Disk: 2

Zelda
Famicom Disk: 1
NES: 2
SNES: 1

Mario
Gameboy: 2

Fix'd

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »
Don't forget how much passed between releases of CV games on NES and SNES.
SC4 - 1991, CVDX - 1995.
I don't think CVA games made such an impact to the series, to be brought into discussion. Big consoles, like NES, Genesis and SNES are where it at. And CV had quite a shaky presence on the latter two.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #213 on: August 26, 2011, 12:57:53 AM »
When I say that Castlevania was great, I mean strictly small period of time 87-91.

We go from sales to discussing when Castlevania was "great"? : T

Well, if we're going to do that, I think it was great from 2002 to 2003 : D

Anyway, Castlevania has always been a very well respected video game series, but it's never had an earth-shattering release like Super Mario Bros. and SMB3, Street Fighter II, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Halo, or Pokemon Red and Blue. Those are, what I believe, most people would consider giants in the video game industry. It would be difficult to prove otherwise. To think Castlevania has had a release as financially successful or influential as any of those would be deluding yourself.

I don't know what all this talk is of Mega Man, because, from my perspective, I don't think it's much better off, if at all. It was a big deal on the NES (for a time) and had some success on the SNES, but... what was Mega Man X compared to Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II? I think the recent downloadable games made a big splash because they were novel ideas, which no one had ever seen anything like at the time. Well... they had seen something just like them years and years ago... but you know... It was a good idea and the right time for it.

I think Castlevania is cool (well, it has been on really shaky ground to me ever since 04 or so, with a few hits but so many misses), but let's not let our fandom uproot us from reality.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:03:15 AM by Successor The Red »

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #214 on: August 26, 2011, 06:03:40 AM »
I'm thinking this thread should be locked out too. Nobody can keep these things on topic...
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: August 26, 2011, 08:07:38 AM »
Why the hell did you change your username?

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2011, 09:02:58 AM »
Why the hell did you change your username?

Lol! I assume you're talking to me? I changed it to keep it the same with other user names like on PSN and other web things

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: August 26, 2011, 09:30:37 AM »
So ur name is kyle or kevin... last name martin?

you'll always be professor beanburrito in our hearts...

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »
So ur name is kyle or kevin... last name martin?

you'll always be professor beanburrito in our hearts...

Actually you're very close. My name is Kyle and my last name is close to Martin. I didn't know the prof. Beanburrito name was so like. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy!  Maybe I'll have to switch it back here...

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »
We go from sales to discussing when Castlevania was "great"? : T
I meant that CV was a big name during that time. Giving te context of the discussion it should have been obvious to anyone how to interpret that.

Well, if we're going to do that, I think it was great from 2002 to 2003 : D
For me it was 1986-2001. After that series go down the route of cloning and nonsensical animeish stories, that I believe completely out of place in the series.

Anyway, Castlevania has always been a very well respected video game series, but it's never had an earth-shattering release like Super Mario Bros. and SMB3, Street Fighter II, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Halo, or Pokemon Red and Blue.
I am agree with you on this. CV was never that big franchise that was always in the eyes of the public, but at least during NES times it was one of the biggest names in the Konami library of games and possibly one of the most popular NES series in that small period of time.

Offline Purple Eyes

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »
I would get Vita, just for this :P I hope it's real
Say, are you going to fight Dracula? Aren't you afraid?

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2011, 02:39:42 AM »
I would get a Vita, If Sony would quit advertising weak-ass spin-off titles like they did with the PSP.
PSP is a great system, but its beyond sad that you have to discover all the greatness instead of guided toward it.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2011, 08:38:29 AM »
I didn't know the prof. Beanburrito name was so like. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy!  Maybe I'll have to switch it back here...

Actually I also really liked "profbeanburrito".  It gave your posts both an air of authority (with Professor) as well as a touch of hilarity (bean burrito?  lolz yum).

I pictured a gentlemanly burrito with a monocle.

Also, I almost did not improve your profile change (I thought you were a bot advertising for K-Mart).  Then I saw your custom title and was like "why the fuck did he change his account name?  Awww..... oh well! **approves**"
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
I would get a Vita, If Sony would quit advertising weak-ass spin-off titles like they did with the PSP.
PSP is a great system, but its beyond sad that you have to discover all the greatness instead of guided toward it.
Because of a lot of things. The main ones were:
1- Their focus on PS3
2- Piracy too early drove off western developers
3- DS price and ease of development
4- Lack of proper PS3 controls for the console ports/spin-offs

Vita corrects a lot of these things. It's stupid to think Sony didn't learn with their errors on PSP/PS3.
Also, I don't think most of the spin-offs on the PSP are bad, seriously. And it's support in Japan is better than anything right now (Japan and indies are almost all what I care in consoles anyway).

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
Because of a lot of things. The main ones were:
1- Their focus on PS3
2- Piracy too early drove off western developers
3- DS price and ease of development
4- Lack of proper PS3 controls for the console ports/spin-offs

Vita corrects a lot of these things. It's stupid to think Sony didn't learn with their errors on PSP/PS3.
Also, I don't think most of the spin-offs on the PSP are bad, seriously. And it's support in Japan is better than anything right now (Japan and indies are almost all what I care in consoles anyway).

1. that's the only point, I just said that the PSP is Frikken awesome, Sony just Can't Sell it.
2. Piracy? This is the western gaming's bird flu, It doesn't affect anything, yet they are fucking pussies when someone says it.
3. this is true, but its not about PSP vs. DS, the DS may have more good games, but the PSP has the Juggernauts (like PSP2, FF type 0)
4. Sony shouldn't make Shitty spin-offs from the get go, that's why the PSP hurt in sales AND the Vita will too.

the Vita WILL fail if Sony is Keeping this Route, I dont wanna buy another PS3 just to play PS3 games, its a fucking waste. "oooh but its playing ps3 on handheld!!" yeah, that's true, but are you willing to spend $60 for the game on console and $40 for the vita version Knowing that the PS3 version will overall be the better experience?

Vita should have PS2 Support and have original Games, that's all there is needed to sell the Vita.

Tags: