Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The UoF Student Tasing Incident  (Read 30212 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »
You guys also need to keep in mind the fact that these officers were required to make a quick decision in the middle of a threat.  We all have the benefit of Monday-morning quarterbacking this incident from the comfort of our computer chairs.  None of us can really say what those officers were seeing, hearing, and thinking at the time without reading their report ourselves.  How many people here are actually experienced enough to be judging this sort of thing anyway?

So true. Also that is the same thing when people see a soldiers beating up kids who're tossing rocks at them. For some reason most of the comments this kind of videos receive are "f**k those soldiers, fucking children murderes." Well, what do you expect the soldiers to do? What would you do if you were in their place, and there are a few dozens of 10-15 year-old-kids popping out of no-where and start throwing rocks at your small, 3-5 men patrol?  Would you go up to them and say: "Nice kiddies, please don't throw rocks at us, if you do so Santa-Mustapha won't bring you presents."
Do you think a soldier can even think about their age while trying not to get a stone in his face?
Hell, the way I see it, each soldier that doesn't SHOOT those little bastards out of self-defense is a hero.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2007, 10:17:12 AM »
In Reply To #25
I live 45 minutes away from U.F.  You can believe what you want... but this guy was trying to be the next "Jackass" or something like that.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 10:35:11 AM »
And Clara, he merely stated his own opinions, and ideas. He didn't clear anything up. But, thank you for your detailed addition to this thread discussion. ;)

I was stating the legal standard.  Next time you get pulled over, make sure you explain to the cop it's only his opinion and idea that you were speeding.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 11:36:22 AM »
I was stating the legal standard.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 04:36:49 PM »
In Reply To #17

Uh... and that has to do with my post how?

Being allowed to taze someone for simply resisting arrest when he doesn't have a weapon and is nowhere near the size of the cops attempting to take him down is a slippery slope. What would you say if they'd have shot him? I agree, he was being an asshole, but there's a thin line between tazing and actually shooting.

Offline John Capricorn

• Celebrate good times, c'mon. Celebrate ...etc
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: The UoF Student Tasing Incident
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 06:12:47 PM »
i dont care why they tased, wspecially there beucase he wasnt gonna do anything, just physically overtake him. that shit should be illegal, people have died from that shit.

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 06:31:40 PM »
Hm. I always thought tasing was the non-lethal alternative to deadly force. I still don't see how that guy merited such a thing.
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2007, 08:15:38 AM »
i dont care why they tased, wspecially there beucase he wasnt gonna do anything, just physically overtake him. that shit should be illegal, people have died from that shit.

I hope you're not referring to the Amnesty International thing - those stats have been disproved long ago, and they were heavily biased from the start.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:18:05 AM by PFG »

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2007, 08:21:44 AM »
In Reply To #38

Yeah, the tasers are meant to have enough voltage to disable a person, right??

The only "Deaths" that have resulted from taser accidents are from those in which the victim of said taser has epilepsy or heart problems. Even then, how is a cop to know if a person has epilepsy or heart problems? Saying tasing should be illegal is like saying women shouldn't be forcefully detained while being irrational because they could be pregnant.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2007, 09:04:42 AM »
In Reply To #39

NO one's saying tasers should be illegal, just that the cops who use them should exercise more discretion in its use. IN the case of the guy at UF, they had 3 or four cops on him and two of those guys were BIG! They also had him cuffed at the time they used the taser on him. With the amount of force they had, they should have put cuffs on his feet and dragged his ass outta there. This sets a dangerous precedent in which police brutality is not only encouraged but tolerated.

HAve you heard the story about the school security guard in LA who broke a 16 year old girl's wrist because she dropped a piece of cake on the floor? He was detaining her for some reason and broke her wrist in the process. I'm not saying the two events are related, but they're the same thing: brutality in a setting where it wasn't necessary.

I'm curious to know what you think of the events that happened at Kent State in the 60's. Were the National Guardsmen justified in shooting those students?

Also, PFG, I was wondering what the police policy is on tasers/pepper spray. What do they tell you guys at the academy in regards to when to use it, how to use it, any caveats, etc?

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2007, 10:38:24 AM »
Also, PFG, I was wondering what the police policy is on tasers/pepper spray. What do they tell you guys at the academy in regards to when to use it, how to use it, any caveats, etc?

I explained this on the last page, at least as far as tasers go.

Offline John Capricorn

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2007, 06:05:06 PM »
I'm saying tasers should be illegal.  Tasers used way too freely and this video shows that, but pretty much any use of the taser on a civilian is wrong. 

There's about THREE OR FIVE COPS and they can't subdue this student?  Get a new ---ing job or beef up, just don't tase me bro.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2007, 10:45:43 PM »
In Reply To #42

You clearly have a great deal of experience in physical combat.

Offline John Capricorn

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2007, 11:25:20 PM »
Huh?  What does MY physical ability have to do with this?

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 12:23:18 AM »
In Reply To #41

That's a lot to think about! Thanks for posting that I appreciate it!  :)

Tags:

anything