Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What drives you guys to live this life?  (Read 18171 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: What drives you guys to live this life?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
+1
Wise words. I myself don't fear death, however I am afraid of dying. The reason why I fear dying is because it is the transition from life to death and that is the hardest thing to get over. I have no idea what my transition is going to be like though I wish for it to be in my sleep and with no pain. Death is easy because you are dead. No transition needed.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Opium

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 01:13:09 PM »
An arrogant and misguided statement founded by your extreme hate of religion. Typical for you though, I suppose.

People go around with an attitude that fearing death is pointless so they choose not to think about it, effectively choosing to not live in fear.  I get that.  But when the luxury of putting our mortality out of our minds is gone, as in YOU ARE ABOUT TO DIE - everyone will experience fear to some degree, regardless of their beliefs or attitudes.  That is what I believe.  Do you see me making some comment like 'Oh, misguided and typical for a religious person like you to think (fill in the blank)' just because I don't agree? That's just rude. And you are actually calling ME arrogant?!  Does that make sense to you? It's as if you demand that your belief system be exempt from any sort of critique or questioning, whilst it's completely OK to trash mine in the rudest way possible.
And why are you so hung up on the fact that I'm not a fan of religion,anyways?  Every single time I say anything, you bring that up.  A little intolerant, perhaps?   How would you like it if I quoted your posts with a mention/bashing of your religious beliefs in threads where those kinds of debates weren't happening. It's like it just eats at you and you have to say something about it. Many of my close friends are religious, because you don't have to able to understand someone or agree with them in order to have respect for them.  Try it sometime.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:29:47 PM by Opium »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 01:40:27 PM »
+2
The tears are delicious. Omnomnomnom.

It's funny you mention those things though, cause that's pretty much what you do. Jump into a topic with a reference to religion, and then declare all religions to be stupid along with the people who follow them. But when one person makes even a hint at the reverse, OH NO YOU'RE BEING UNFAIR AND RUDE AND MEAN AND STUPID WAHHHHHHH WAAAAAHHHHHHH.

The proof that you DON'T pay attention to any of my posts regarding religious controversy is that you said;
It's as if you demand that your belief system be exempt from any sort of critique or questioning

You're still applying your bias generalized hate mongering anti-religious presumptions to any religious people you happen to come across here without even listening to them at all.

For that, you are probably one of the most annoying people here. I'd rather have affinity back.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 02:13:21 PM »
+1
I dont fear death itself, just pain of death. I'd prefer to die during my sleep or something like that, yknow? But of course, avoid death if possible. Dunno what's in store for me after death, (I'm a Catholic, but let's face it, Nobody has ever come back from the dead to publicly confirm or deny any religion's views.) But id prefer to put that adventure off until im satisfied as much as possible with life and I feel that ive lived long enough.

Reincarnation. The idea that your behavior and actions in a previous life affect your current one. karma. Were a serial killer in a previous life? well tough shit, you get a crappy life as punishment. You were so good and pure you could run for Jesus? You get to have a comfortable good life where you can fulfill most if not all your wishes and desires.

I also like to think of the idea of reincarnation not being bound by time. So you could upon dying, reincarnate as someone hundreds of years ago, anywhere anyone, anyplace.

Real fun to think about.

Dude, we have very similar views. I don't think I fear death, the pain of death also scares me, more than actual death. However, there are other things too, for me, that stops me from death. Such as being catholic, and it's against my religion to commit suicide, not to mention that I think suicide is for the weak. Not that I think myself strong in any real way, but I think the ones that commit suicide are the weakest (though as with everything, I'm sure there are circumstances that may make me think otherwise)

Another thing is... as pathetic as I usually feel I am (I'm a pessimist, lol) I feel that even I can sometimes affect things for the better, if not for everyone in the universe, at least to my love ones.

As for the topic of reincarnation... I think that's a pretty cool concept, that may very well be in effect, but who knows?

One thoughto n that though, don't you think it's a bit funny, while being rich doesn't make you evil, it does have a tendency of driving you that way because you get whatever you want, then you don't and you want it.. and well... you start doing questionable things (Not in all cases, obviously, but it does seem to be a sort of trend.) What are the chances, you do good in one life and get rewards in the next, then do bad in that one because you have your way too much. Then you do good because you have bad, and hope for the best... and it becomes an ever cycle of bad to good to bad to good.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
"More weight."

Giles Corey kept repeating that as he was being pressed to death in the 1692 Salem witch trials because he refused to be tried as a witch. If that guy had any fear of dying, he did a pretty flawless job of pretending he wasn't afraid.

As for "condemning" suiciders..I'd never dare be so goddamn arrogant. There are weak, unstable individuals in this world who kill themselves for petty things and might make it through if they got the help they needed. But there are people who have struggled to simply exist for years and have no other merciful way out than through their personal emergency exit.

You can't jump inside someone's mind and experience what kind of burdens and demons some hide. You can't know if you'd be any stronger in the god-awful scenarios fate throws at us randomly. That's why I'll never say shit like "all suiciders are weak cowards". Some are, but things are never black and white when it comes to this subject. It's not a beautiful, dramatic thing and I don't endorse it. But it's not my place (or anyone else's) to stack all who killed themselves in a neat little pile to point at self-righteously.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:43:45 PM by A-Yty »

Offline Opium

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 02:49:24 PM »
The tears are delicious. Omnomnomnom.

It's funny you mention those things though, cause that's pretty much what you do. Jump into a topic with a reference to religion, and then declare all religions to be stupid along with the people who follow them. But when one person makes even a hint at the reverse, OH NO YOU'RE BEING UNFAIR AND RUDE AND MEAN AND STUPID WAHHHHHHH WAAAAAHHHHHHH.

The proof that you DON'T pay attention to any of my posts regarding religious controversy is that you said;
You're still applying your bias generalized hate mongering anti-religious presumptions to any religious people you happen to come across here without even listening to them at all.

For that, you are probably one of the most annoying people here. I'd rather have affinity back.

YOU are the one that referenced religion first here.  And YOU are the one who is attacking, not me - so why are you calling me annoying? 
I don't post any differently in this forum than I do in any others, and again YOU are the only one who is having some beef with it.  Leave me the hell alone, please.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 03:26:53 PM »
+1

People go around with an attitude that fearing death is pointless so they choose not to think about it, effectively choosing to not live in fear.  I get that.  But when the luxury of putting our mortality out of our minds is gone, as in YOU ARE ABOUT TO DIE - everyone will experience fear to some degree, regardless of their beliefs or attitudes.  That is what I believe.  Do you see me making some comment like 'Oh, misguided and typical for a religious person like you to think (fill in the blank)' just because I don't agree? That's just rude. And you are actually calling ME arrogant?!  Does that make sense to you? It's as if you demand that your belief system be exempt from any sort of critique or questioning, whilst it's completely OK to trash mine in the rudest way possible.
And why are you so hung up on the fact that I'm not a fan of religion,anyways?  Every single time I say anything, you bring that up.  A little intolerant, perhaps?   How would you like it if I quoted your posts with a mention/bashing of your religious beliefs in threads where those kinds of debates weren't happening. It's like it just eats at you and you have to say something about it. Many of my close friends are religious, because you don't have to able to understand someone or agree with them in order to have respect for them.  Try it sometime.
YOU are the one that referenced religion first here.  And YOU are the one who is attacking, not me - so why are you calling me annoying? 
I don't post any differently in this forum than I do in any others, and again YOU are the only one who is having some beef with it.  Leave me the hell alone, please.

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 10:15:14 PM »
+1
In all seriousness though, while boobs are insanely awesome, what drives me to continue life is God. Which seems like a contradiction at times because you wouldn't really know I'm a Christian based on my life. I have certain convictions like abstaining from sex and drugs, and I don't really swear all that much, so I am a somewhat "moral person"—I just don't really serve God and others in the way that Christ commanded, which makes me a king-sized turd.

I don't necessarily believe that one has to entirely devote his or her life to the cause of witnessing to others and spreading God's love. I believe that God gave this earth for people to enjoy, where all too often the stricter, more extreme Christians would have you think that the beauty in this life means nothing and all that matters is spreading the gospel to help save others for the glorious afterlife. While I believe witnessing to be important and it is something Jesus commanded, I think some people take it to extremes. And while this earth's beauty will pale in comparison to the new earth, there's still so much here to be amazed by and to take in and enjoy. I can worship God without having to spell out His Son's name or wave a Jesus flag in everything I do.

But God is the source of all beauty and creativity. All love and all understanding. Without God, there would be nothing. As such, without God, I become deeply despondent. I'll be honest: because of my sin nature, I quite often stray from God and choose to do my own thing. I go days without uttering so much as a prayer. I enjoy life—in my own secluded sort of way. I'm an entertainment and art junkie, so I'll spend a lot of time playing video games or watching movies and anime. I see a select few friends when they're available and I enjoy that social interaction. I enjoy greasy, fatty foods. Go for a swim or a bike ride weather permitting. I don't have a terribly varied field of activities, but what I do, I enjoy fully, and I mix it up amongst those things.

But that all gets wearisome after some time. It's a source of happiness, but not an ultimate source. Those things—even close friends and family—cannot take away depression. They can sometimes help alleviate the pain in darker times, but I'm fully convinced based on the things I've experienced in my life that only God can offer any kind of true, lasting satisfaction.

Whenever I get into my really apathetic moods which last for months, I tend to revel in all kinds of sin. Not so much anymore as I've grown a bit in character, but basically "anything goes." It was always those times—at my weakest—where I threw out what was moral and would enjoy the company of women. It would be fun, for sure, but it didn't help me get out of that misery—it only made it worse. Sexual activities just weren't meant to be experienced in such a fleeting way or with people who aren't congruent with you (there was a girl who was really neat and was mad about me, and I think we would've been a good couple for a while, but somewhere down the line I guarantee there would have been troubles based on our differences and worldviews).

I dunno... I might be talking out my ass at this point and not making a whole lotta sense, but when something as fantastic as being close to a woman, emotionally and physically, doesn't help you out of that pit, it makes you think, "What can?" And from my experience, the only thing that brings me out of that despair is God.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »
+1
And bear in mind that I don't just seek the company of women when I'm depressed. :p I kinda made it sound that way but it isn't the case. I've been close to women even when at my happiest and brightest, and whenever I cross that line and commit sexual sin, it is again fun for a while, but becomes such a drag at some point. I fully believe sex cannot be experienced to its fullest outside of a committed relationship, preferably a life-long marriage.

So, in closing, boobs aren't what I live for—but they're pretty dang awesome nonetheless. And hopefully someday I'll have a totally awesome wife—if I stop being such a recluse, that is.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »
+4
While I don't want to drag this thread further into a debate about religion, the problem is, Ms. Opium, that in your SECOND post in the thread, when nobody had even mentioned your atheism, you said

"Still, I refuse to cling on to irrational fairy tales that serve to alleviate that anxiety."

I'm afraid you're incorrect, Uzo *wasn't* "the one that referenced religion first here." Again, I've had decent discourse with you and I have no desire to harp on anyone for their religious beliefs or lack thereof, but if you don't want people bringing up the subject of religion around you, the rest of us would very much appreciate it if you didn't make snide references to "irrational fairy tales" in your posts when the subject didn't even come up.

In any case, the odd thing is that plenty of *atheists* don't fear death either. As Mark Twain (author of Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, and a famous skeptic generally) said, "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.” Ms. Opium is entitled to her views, but I suspect more than a few of her non-religious fellows would disagree.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:39:10 PM by Gunlord »

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 11:02:43 PM »
+2
Thank you, Gunlord. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Also, well said Freak. I'm on the same page there. I don't want to bring any women to bed that I don't truly feel love for. Physical attraction simply does not go far enough in my book. A deep connection is much more valuable. It is discouraging that the people of our generation hardly feel the same. I feel like the only one who really wants to connect with someone. This seems true for both genders.

Chin up though, Freak. Your heart is in the right place. I'm sure you can pull it off.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »
+2
Do NOT turn this into a topic of religious vs non-religious please. It can be kept civil without one or the other forcing their views down someone elses throats.

That is all, you've been warned.

Also Gunlord, well said man.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 12:36:36 AM »
Well, in further response to Opium, You cant really have a thread about people's motivations in life and not expect religion to eventually pop up.

But I totally agree with your point on after death, the complete inability to comprehend the concept of not existing. It's fascinating shit to think about, because you just... can't. Our very existence is based on self awareness, consciousness. the awareness that we exist. We don't remember before we were conceived, which is more or less part of the same deal.

BTW im speaking purely theoretically here with the idea of nonexistence after death. Like I said before, despite being Catholic myself, I gotta admit that nobody has ever actually come back to prove either side's argument.

But I believe that the belief in an afterlife also stems from the same concept expressed prior- the inability to comprehend eternal nonexistence of self. So we believe that surely there must be something beyond death. After all, where does the consciousness go? How can that "spark" that one could call a soul- that mass of existence just disappear?

which is why I like to think about reincarnation. The "spark" of our consciousness being reborn as someone else, and that would be our consciousness, and that person could possibly then wonder the same exact thing.

urrrgh im thinking in circles...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:41:20 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 12:54:52 AM »
As a kid I would sometimes wonder what it would be like to not exist, and suddenly I'd be sucked into this really weird mental state where my mind is adrift and I feel this weird tingling in my neck and brain and I'd be put into this really intense tunnel vision that at the same time made my body feel like it was at once enormous and just a tiny speck in outer space. It was the ultimate space-out, which was similar to my fever deliriums where I would stare up at my speckled ceiling at night and metaphysically fall back or sink down into my mattress while my spirit drifted up into the ceiling which became this immense, spacious dome where the speckles were the stars populating space.

Weird feelings, man. Totally unreal. You don't need drugs when you're delirious or can tap into a form of thinking that blows your mind and causes you to feel like you're floating.

Of course, thinking on it now, to not exist would mean simply to be nonexistent—as in, I'd experience nothing, in which case there'd be no need to ponder what that would be like, because there's no possible way I could know what that's like, being if I didn't exist, I'd have no consciousness or state of being whatsoever.

:O:O:O

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement, uzo. It helps when I feel like everyone in my personal life has been looking down at me thinking I'm going about everything the wrong way. I'm unsure if they are or if it's just paranoia on my part, although some have seen it fit to "challenge" who I am and in what I place importance, as if that's to encourage me and make me wake up my eyes to a different way of life. In truth, it really just makes me feel miserable, because I feel like some of my closest friends don't really like me for who I am. I know they mean well, but it's hard not to be bothered by their words no matter how encouraging they think they're being.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:56:52 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Opium

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 02:34:39 AM »
I think it was Dr Seuss who said:

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel, Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind."

Tags:

anything