Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What drives you guys to live this life?  (Read 18332 times)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: What drives you guys to live this life?
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »
I feel the opposite is true. If someone has a really crappy life, they just aren't looking ahead to getting out of the bad life and into a less bad life. If you are trapped in a horribly abusive relationship, kill your abuser (or just maim him/her and run away); the courts are lenient toward abuse victims. If you just got dumped, wait a couple years until you get dumped again before considering offing yourself. But the people who don't have anything worth killing themselves over are the ones who are the worst off, I think. They create their own Frankenstein's Monster, a homonculus of wretched self-loathing that takes on a will and mind of its own, haunting its creator, reminding him of the foulness that spawned such monstrosity, and driving him to madness. It's harder to escape from a pit you dug yourself than from a pit someone else dug.

But I always found it intersting that manyreligions condemn suicide. I think most Judeo-Christian sects say it's a direct ticket to Hell. Even more ironic, some aspects of bushido emphasize honorable suicide, yet Jigoku (Japanese hell) had a special place for people who killed themselves.

I personally, don't really think it's a guarantee ticket to hell. Maybe just a really big sin. But then, there maybe circumstances that probably makes it null.

As for Bushido and Jigoku.... I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing Jigoku manifested after Christianity came to Japan, and Bushido's Seppuku was before that. Of course, that doens't cover everything... since you can't say the same for the French and other European country. I say French specifically, because I'm like a Count of Monte Cristo maniac... I listen to it's audio book to sleep. And there is one part where a character mentions "Blood washes out shame" when he wanted to commit suicide to wash away the shame and bring honor back to his family's name.

And of course that matters because Christianity has been in Europe for the longest of time.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »
I feel the opposite is true. If someone has a really crappy life, they just aren't looking ahead to getting out of the bad life and into a less bad life. If you are trapped in a horribly abusive relationship, kill your abuser (or just maim him/her and run away); the courts are lenient toward abuse victims. If you just got dumped, wait a couple years until you get dumped again before considering offing yourself. But the people who don't have anything worth killing themselves over are the ones who are the worst off, I think. They create their own Frankenstein's Monster, a homonculus of wretched self-loathing that takes on a will and mind of its own, haunting its creator, reminding him of the foulness that spawned such monstrosity, and driving him to madness. It's harder to escape from a pit you dug yourself than from a pit someone else dug.

I'm going to have to agree here. Yes, in some cases there's not much you can do, but in most cases the situation is very fixable, but the person fails to see the way out or doesn't deal with the consequences of their own actions. They simply give up and end their life.

At the risk of sounding like a dick, it really seems like Opium's friend's self destruction is an example of this. All of the issues mentioned there are the result of continual bad choices, not something she was dealt beyond her own power. When you screw with drugs, that's what happens.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 11:22:23 PM »
+2
Perhaps this is true.

Honestly the reason for my response is more because I've had people say that (or put pictures up with that caption, on Facebook or whatever) as just a means to justify their dickishness, so it comes off as:  "I'll say what I want and be a dick, and if it bothers you then you don't matter anyway, and the people in my life who matter don't mind that I'm acting like a dick".
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 02:16:32 AM »
Holy shit. Holy shit. I just realized I have done one of the stupidest mistakes ever. 
I was preparing for a killer test I had. I studied for this test like an entire month.
My knowledge was almost perfect. I was certain I'm gonna pass.
And then I looked at my test dates to see what time is the test tomorrow.

... It was yesterday. Holy shit. How could I miss it? How the hell could I miss it? I was CERTAIN the test is tomorrow.
That has got to be the stupidest mistake ever. I feel like banging my head against the wall.   :-[
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 04:46:26 AM »
So off topic >.>

That's gotta suck though. I tend to be anal about dates and time, because something like that might happen.

Honestly though, everyone's got different opinions on it. I doubt we'll agree on everything. I doubt I'll change my mind any time soon about suicidal people.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »
What drives me to live this life? I just don't want to die. And maybe some other reasons.

Whether it's a fear of death, or simply because non-existance sounds unsatisfying, I have no idea.

My thoughts stay on life rather than death. I've lost so much, yet I've never let that bring me down. I always look forward to the future, with my head up, and I'm ready to tackle head-on the painful crap life throws at me, rather than submit to it.

And yeah, occassionally I thought about suicide. At one point, I was entirely prepared to do it. But then I thought about, "What would I be leaving behind? How will people remember me?" I don't want to be remembered as someone who submits. I want to have a lasting effect on the world, or at least the people who knew me.

If that means anything. :\
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 04:15:02 PM »
+1
lol @claimh solais using an alt. account to give himself 30 respect points

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »
+1
Oh! I forgot to mention boobs! Boobs definitely drive me.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 12:58:22 AM »
+1
lol @claimh solais using an alt. account to give himself 30 respect points

If I had the brains to do that. Didn't even know the respect thingy was there til this morning. You can have a mod or something check IPs if you want.

But in all seriousness, why do I have those anyway? I'm hardly even online. >.>
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »
+4
You have respect cuz you're a respectable guy 8)

That said, I give pretty much everybody respect points and rate pretty much any topic I post in 5 stars. I love you guyz 8)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »
Seein that this thread is a pretty popular one and it does make sense as too why i'll post again. Although i coulda mentioned it already i came within inches of death from a car crash. Me and buddy both. I happened to driving him to his house ready to take a left onto his street, when low and behold a sports car going roughly around 100 mph or more was coming at us from behind. I looked in my rear view and though oh boy this it i'm done. I told my friend to brace himself and looked in the side mirror and saw the same thing. We both were gringing, heard a loud screetch and when i opened my eyes i looked over at my buddy and we both like"holy shit" We looked back and the car ended up coming from a complete stop just inches behind us to pull off to the side and zipping past us(probably hoping no one seen that). Then me and my buddy got out of my car too look back at a trememdously long ass skid mark at least 2-3 telephone pole lenghts away. Next thing we know a cop rolls around the corner all quite like look at the skid marks. We went back to his house and nothing more happened except us discussing wtf just happened. Yeah it all happened so fast i didnt' know what to even think. But yeah i guess every once and a while i get to thinking, the lesson could be not to take life for granted. It certainly dawned on me that day!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:09:11 PM by Las »

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Tags:

anything